Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamullen Fibre Broadband

Options
  • 29-01-2012 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I know this is probably a bit far fetched but seeing as the Stamullen community has expanded quite rapidly over the past few years and in theory we are on the border with north county dublin, is there ever any chance to see fibre broadband being delivered to Stamullen? Tried to get in touch with UPC, but they don't have a clue if we are ever going to be included, Magnet decided to go for some two remote estates in Meath ignoring us completely and other broadband providers such as Net1, eircom do offer broadband but it's at best 3 mb/s and well let's face it, shambolic !!! :/
    My question is why are we not having fibre optics laid in Stamullen, where i'm sure most of the community would be willing to pay for ultra fast internet.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not unless you do it yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 notaplumber

Hi,

Forgehill, Stamullen.

I had a contract with Vodafone (the broadband/phone) package up to 2 weeks ago. It was costing me 50euro per month with max speed of 3 Mbps. It was painfully slow so I enquired with UPC and now have their 25 Mbps broadband/ home phone package for 40 euro per month.

It is significantly faster than the vodafone offering, no more waiting for YouTube videos to partially load etc, and cheaper.

With wifi on my Mac/iPad, I am getting about 21mbps, and plugged into the hard point I'm getting almost the full 25mbps.

The UPC guys installed a coaxial cable from the side of the house to one of their outlets on the footpath. Took about 20 mins to install. They said Stamullen isn't capable of taking the 50/100 Mbps feed yet but tbh the 25 is plenty fast.

Free modem, installation fee of 45€ , and monthly fee of 40€.

Highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 racerdublin

@Notaplumber, that UPC deal sounds heavenly to someone like myself who has been using the only available option which is the Eircom's finest 3mb/s - that works about 5% of the time :-/
    I checked our estate against the UPC database on their website and surprise surprise it says no services are available to us, even though we are literally about 500 yards from your estate.

Ended up sending UPC an E-mail asking how come the service is not available to us and when can we expect it to be available. Frankly there is no point paying 50 or 60 Euro / month to have a crappy, not reliable service. Only thing we have left at the moment is wait... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DjTallon

If your refereeing to fibre broadband in glasheen/kilbreck , i heard the reason why we havnt got it is because the builders would not lay down the cable while building the estate, apparently they were looking for to much money, typical, i have eircom 7mb but the house has ipads laptops and games consoles and takes one person to make it feel like 1mb

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bmwpl

@DjTallon I know the feeling. We have the Net1 service and it claims to be 3mb/s but it's satellite so the best speeds we get is like 150kb/s most of the time and even as low as 50kb/s at peak times :( The contention rate is about 25:1 which isn't great with those speeds :( I just started a thread about having UPC internet in our area, hopefully there is a UPC rep on this and maybe they will finally notice us :D

• Advertisement

Are there any ducts on your estate and if so why does YOUR managemant company not tell UPC they can use them. Surely the estate is not owned by this builder any more, they are probably long gone.

Get out there and pull up hatches and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DjTallon

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Are there any ducts on your estate and if so why does YOUR managemant company not tell UPC they can use them. Surely the estate is not owned by this builder any more, they are probably long gone.

Forgive me if i seem a bit stupid, but what do you mean by the ducts in the estate ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

DjTallon wrote: »
    Sponge Bob wrote: »

Forgive me if i seem a bit stupid, but what do you mean by the ducts in the estate ??

Pipe work under the foothpaths, you will see covers on the public paths for access to them, most are eircom and ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paddybudg

Hi, I also live in Glasheen/Kilbreck ... I dont believe there are any other ducts except for Eircom and ESB, and possibly Gas. On the houses there is only the GAS/ESB and initial inlet for Eircom so i guess the only way someone like UPC can come in is by running cable around above land. As UPC are in a large enough estate taking im sure up to 100 house off the map it starts to make Stamullen less of an attraction for the likes of Eircom to do anything. I hope im wrong but a catch 22 here. From talking to local TD's Eircom seem very unlikely to assit with this one, at least in the short term anyway. My suggestion is keep contacting local TD to get them to make contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Hi all,just moved to stamullen yesterday and was wondering what you guys think is the best option for broadband in the area.im living in the village and was wondering if the signal is generally poor in the village,if so what ISP would you recommend?

Cheers!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 mlody90

Super_hoop welcome to the village :) In regards to the ISP's available in the area, check the UPC website, I know they have some estates covered but not all of them. Eircom provide services as well, but I think it's safe to assume that they are not good under any circumstance. There are also independent providers and you can always check this website :
    http://www.getbroadband.ie
    hope this helps ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Stamullen is part of the Balbriggan exch area and is included in eircom's fibre roll out , which will be launching at the end of may.
    Speed's of up to 70 mb's depending on how far you are from a vdsl2 cab, you can check it out on

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200976005490800150654.0004d6a674e6be3826dcb&msa=0

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

There is some sort of exchange in stamullen.I've broadband with eircom at the moment.i live in the village and the exchange is 1km away.

There are 2 small exchanges in Stamullen, these are Kilbreck and Stamullen. They are not part of the Balbriggan exchange area.

HOWEVER while at least 5 cabinets have been installed to provide VDSL2 services in Stamullen I am unsure as to whether eircom have given the full 6 month notice of service launch required by Comreg in the case of the Stamullen VDSL cabinets.

In public anyway the Stamullen/Kilbreck cabs are scheduled for a December 2014 launch despite appearing to be completed excepting the Grange cabinet which is not in the Stamullen/Kilbreck exchange areas shown in WHITE but comes under Balbriggan itself where the 6 month notice has been deemed given for a May 2013 launch.

247130.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dommy1801

Hi guys, im looking at buying a house in Stamullen. What are the broadband connections like nowadays?

Advertisement