Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graspop 2012

• 30-01-2012 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

I was looking on Boards for threads about Graspop, but they were all from previous years, so I'll start a new one.

The line-up this year looks savage! Black Sabbath, Slayer, Motorhead, Megadeth, etc.

Anyways, I've never been. I was just wondering if I could get advice as to what the craic is like there?
    Stuff like:
    -booze prices
    -proximity of festival to nearest town
    -would I get by easily with English/French? (I know the first language is Dutch)
    -what route should I take (Dublin - Eindhoven, Eindhoven - Dessel).

And any other information from Graspop veterans would be helpful. I consulted boards about Sziget a few years ago and the most helpful advice I got was not to bother being friendly with French people (from outside Brittany).:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

Heya. I was at Graspop in 2010.

Stuff like:
    -booze prices - You use tokens to buy food and drink. Tokens were €2.25 each, and half a pint of beer cost one token. This was two years ago. Prices may be different now?
    -proximity of festival to nearest town - there is a handy free shuttle bus that brings you to the nearest town (about 20 mins away). There is a big supermarket there to stock up on food/drink etc.
    -would I get by easily with English/French? (I know the first language is Dutch) No problem. Everyone speaks English!
    -what route should I take (Dublin - Eindhoven, Eindhoven - Dessel).
    We flew into Brussels airport, and got a couple of trains from there. But flying into Eindhoven would probably be easier, and cheaper.
    Also, the train fare from any Belgian train station, to Mol train station is included in the price of your festival ticket. You just show your ticket to the conductor on the train.

More info here: Graspop info page

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

The handiest way I found was to get to Eindhoven then get the shuttle bus from there (there should be info on the Graspop page). If there's a few of ye, you could get a taxi at about €15 each I think. Drops ye to the door.

I don't remember having to do a lot of walking there at all - they have hot showers, a supermarket, savage egg and bacon brekkie etc at the campsite, so it's quite comfortable as these things go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Cill94

Well first off that's a much better lineup than when I went last year. Only bands that impressed me were Legion Of The Damned and Gwar.

I got a train from Brussels (price of which is included with the ticket) and then a bus to Graspop.

As for the rest of my memory, it's what you might call a tad hazy, due to me enjoying a bit too much vodka :P I remember we were given our own locker to put bags, keys, cameras etc. into. You bought token for drink and food. Loads of toilets about the place (I know because I puked in at least 2.. )

They all speak English there. I even spoke German to the Dutch ones and they understood haha. Really cool crowd, not your typical metal fans just going, possibly due to a slightly more mainstream lineup. Overall a decent festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

This is a very helpful thread. I'm also considering to go to Graspop this year.
    My friends've been there last year and I was supposed to come along but I got sick. I hate them telling all the crazy festival stories..
    Maybe this year. I hope I can get some time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

They also have a system if u collect x ammount of cups u get a food coupon, cuts down on cost if ur on a budget, was there in 2010 brilliantly run, great ppl, great bands!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Also As I Lay Dying have apparently cancelled their european tour
    Graspop Metal Meeting
    Before announcing the headliner for Sunday 24 June, first some sad news. AS I LAY DYING won't be coming to Graspop Metal Meeting since they have cancelled their European tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 darkphysco

anyone know if you can rent/buy a tent at graspop, its €50 quid to check a bag going over and back with ryanair, can you get a tent over there for that price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aduma

hi,
    I was thinking about vip upgrade ticket.Did someone who was before on Graspop buy vip ticket?It's worth to buy this?What it included?
    \m/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sitting-Bull

I've been to Graspop the last two years- Great Festival

I used this bus from Eindhoven

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgraspop%26hl%3Den%26prmd%3Divns&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=nl&u=http://www.eventexpressbus.nl/index.php%3Fpageid%3D28

The nearest town to the festival site is about a 20 minute walk (Mol)

Beer: 12 cans (small coke can size) of jupiler are 5 or 6 euro from the supermarket

In the festival everything is paid for with tokens: 1 token = €2.25 and thats the price of 1 beer (half a pint)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

428089_356142784425886_104936299546537_1088478_1307793356_n.jpg

Limp Bizkit Saturday headliner for Graspop Metal Meeting 2012. Also Godsmack, Slash, Black Label Society, All Shall Perish and Behemoth have been confirmed. Lagwagon and Young Guns have cancelled their appearance. Day schedule is NOW online: http://www.graspop.be/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 K.O

The lineup this year is savage! Im looking to go however none of my other mates are up for it, most are heading Download instead. Anyone out there going to graspop that i could meet up with for the trip? Drop me a PM :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

What are the toilets like at it? Went to sonisphere last year and the toilets were in bits but they had the ones that you could pay for at least they were clean. but graspop Dosent have them it seems?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

What are the toilets like at it? Went to sonisphere last year and the toilets were in bits but they had the ones that you could pay for at least they were clean. but graspop Dosent have them it seems?

The toilets at it are fine. They are actual proper toilets, not portaloos.
    They are cleaned regularly, so they don't get into too much of a state.
    And no, you don't have to pay for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

wolfmoon87 wrote: »

The toilets at it are fine. They are actual proper toilets, not portaloos.
    They are cleaned regularly, so they don't get into too much of a state.
    And no, you don't have to pay for them.

Exactly this... the set up in the campsite I have to say is great with I think 2 shops and your never far from a toilets area which are nicely maintained should u require a shower however this will cost graspop tokens. I defo recommend adding the so called boozebag which includes tokens at a reduced price.

Pity I'm not going this year more so looking at this but for those lucky enough the timetable has been released (subject to change of course),had I be going I count no clashes for me hope the same for those making the trip.

http://www.graspop.be/documenten/Tijdschemas/GMM12timeschedule02052012.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mr_paddy

well does anyone know if the free transport for gmm (ticket) included the train stations in eindhoven to dessel?

mr_paddy wrote: »
    well does anyone know if the free transport for gmm (ticket) included the train stations in eindhoven to dessel?

The answer no but you can combine the free travel ticket from the first Belgian station onwards by the way if you're not aware the train ticket is separate that you must order from here select Graspop Metal Meeting https://buy.b-rail.be/eTicketing/ETicketOrdering/InitStrutsActionToWelcome.do?lang=3 you will prob have to ask at the station which station to fork out for, but i'm certain you might have an idea as there should be plenty of metallers and rockers heading in the same direction as you (easily spotted :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mr_paddy

The answer no but you can combine the free travel ticket from the first Belgian station onwards by the way if you're not aware the train ticket is separate that you must order from here select Graspop Metal Meeting https://buy.b-rail.be/eTicketing/ETicketOrdering/InitStrutsActionToWelcome.do?lang=3 you will prob have to ask at the station which station to fork out for, but i'm certain you might have an idea as there should be plenty of metallers and rockers heading in the same direction as you (easily spotted :D)

cheers man for the tip il think l do that seem better than wasting 25 quid on the bus up and down

Advertisement