Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greek fantasy suggestions

Options
  • 30-01-2012 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

hey guys looking for some books to read at the moment, what I am really looking for are books that deal with heroic fantasy and Greek mythology, gods etc.(ive read David Gemmell's Greek stuff), any suggestions would be great

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

"Soldier of the Mist" by Gene Wolfe.
    It deals with a mercenary soldier in classical times. He has lost his long term memory and only remembers on a day by day basis. To recall past events he reads a series of scrolls that he has written, and he alone can see the Mythic Greek gods and fauns.
    A well written and engrossing book

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Homer's Odyssey is a handy enough read in spite of it being a 'classic'.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Secret History by Donna Tartt is about a group of classics students. Well worth a read IMHO I really enjoyed it and saw a lot of parallels between it and the classical tragedies.

I second the above poster both the Iliad and the Odyssey are handy enough reading, and well worth giving a shot.

Advertisement