Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would I legally be able to get the clampers at their own game by doing this (legally)

• 30-01-2012 12:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

OK, they have a sign in the car park saying "Any car parked unauthorized will be clamped, release fee 120€", OK, it is 120 RELEASE FEE Not a fine, (as private companies cannot fine apparently). So if it is just a release fee, does that mean I can legally remove it my self for free w/o damaging it ??

Also, if I attach a similar sign to my window saying any device attached to this car with impedes the safety or operation of it will be removed and destroyed? Is this allowed?? I could say by attaching a clamp you are entering into a contract to have it removed adn destroyed ...

Or better yet just walk into the car park and when the clampers are doing their rounds, pop one of these bad boys onto the wheel of the clampers' van.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7404197/Trail/searchtext%3EWHEEL%2BCLAMP.htm

any solicitor / lawyer / judge who can shed light on the issue would be super, or even anyone with similar experiences would be great or if you have any knowledge on topic !!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I wish there was a fine for stupid threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

OK, they have a sign in the car park saying "Any car parked unauthorized will be clamped, release fee 120€", OK, it is 120 RELEASE FEE Not a fine, (as private companies cannot fine apparently). So if it is just a release fee, does that mean I can legally remove it my self for free w/o damaging it ??

Also, if I attach a similar sign to my window saying any device attached to this car with impedes the safety or operation of it will be removed and destroyed? Is this allowed?? I could say by attaching a clamp you are entering into a contract to have it removed adn destroyed ...

Or better yet just walk into the car park and when the clampers are doing their rounds, pop one of these bad boys onto the wheel of the clampers' van.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7404197/Trail/searchtext%3EWHEEL%2BCLAMP.htm

any solicitor / lawyer / judge who can shed light on the issue would be super, or even anyone with similar experiences would be great or if you have any knowledge on topic !!! :D

or just buy four clamps and clamp your own car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Would In Before the Lock be appropriate in this case?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Alan_H_1991

ahyeahok wrote: »
    or just buy four clamps and clamp your own car...

what if they pop a clamp over it??

and its too inconvenient and time consuming.

The clamps that the crooks use at NCPS are crappy and you can easily access the lug nuts if it is not fixed 100% perfectly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yes you can OP, you can remove that clamp without any recourse as it has been mounted by a private clamper rather than a council clamper. Do not damage it and you'll be fine as there is no regulations on private clamping in Ireland hence you will not be brought to court. See Motors forum for more info

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Way too much time on your hands.

Would In Before the Lock be appropriate in this case?

huh?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

would it not be easier pay for parking???

gurramok wrote: »
    Yes you can OP, you can remove that clamp without any recourse as it has been mounted by a private clamper rather than a council clamper. Do not damage it and you'll be fine as there is no regulations on private clamping in Ireland hence you will not be brought to court. See Motors forum for more info

Wish I could, but I'm banned !! :P haha I let out a very big rant when these unauthorized extortionate cowboys better known as NCPS clamped me :P

Sindri wrote: »
    Way too much time on your hands.

I did last time, but the clamper must have been blind, malicious or just plain stupid because I had one on the dash, appealed it .. but still no money back :mad:

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    would it not be easier pay for parking???

I did last time, but the clamper must have been blind, malicious or just plain stupid because I had one on the dash, appealed it .. but still no money back :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I'm not a solicitor, lawyer or judge but I have heard it said before on more than one occasion that if you can remove the clamp without damaging it they have no recourse against you. Having said that you will never remove it without damaging it...I don't think Keith Barry would even pull that one off.

I had the unfortunate experience once and when your man came to remove it he had enough hassle doing so, even with the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Just park your damn car where you won't be clamped. That and/or pay for parking like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Wish I could, but I'm banned !! :P haha I let out a very big rant when these unauthorized extortionate cowboys better known as NCPS clamped me :P

Banned, what you on about? They cannot clamp your car legally in a private area as there is no law governing it. You can remove said clamp without damage and penalty, this has been discussed to death on the Motors forum previously. Whats stopping you?

I'm not a solicitor, lawyer or judge but I have heard it said before on more than one occasion that if you can remove the clamp without damaging it they have no recourse against you. Having said that you will never remove it without damaging it...I don't think Keith Barry would even pull that one off.

I had the unfortunate experience once and when your man came to remove it he had enough hassle doing so, even with the key.

Actually I was clamped before and the face of the clamp was not tightly bound to the wheel, hence lug nuts were accessible, so it would have been possible with a bit of effort :cool:

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Just park your damn car where you won't be clamped. That and/or pay for parking like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

Don't even drive into an NCPS car park. They are low-lifes who are a law onto themselves. They don't play by moral rules and do not deserve to earn a cent from anyone.
    The f***ers took over a car park where I live a few years ago. Put up their sign at one end where there was no lighting and couldn't be seen in the dark. Clamped 10 cars parked at the opposite end of the car park in one night alone, all belonging to people who had young kids performing in a play locally. €1,200 earned by the two jerks who arrived an hour later swearing that it wasn't them who put the clamps on and they would never have done such a thing. Scumbags, surprised they weren't lynched tbh. Loads of young kids in tears.
    Saw the very same van the next day parked up on a footpath. So tempted.... But I have moral standards.
    My advice is don't use their car parks.

MackQ wrote: »
    Don't even drive into an NCPS car park. They are low-lifes who are a law onto themselves. They don't play by moral rules and do not deserve to earn a cent from anyone.
    The f***ers took over a car park where I live a few years ago. Put up their sign at one end where there was no lighting and couldn't be seen in the dark. Clamped 10 cars parked at the opposite end of the car park in one night alone, all belonging to people who had young kids performing in a play locally. €1,200 earned by the two jerks who arrived an hour later swearing that it wasn't them who put the clamps on and they would never have done such a thing. Scumbags, surprised they weren't lynched tbh. Loads of young kids in tears.
    Saw the very same van the next day parked up on a footpath. So tempted.... But I have moral standards.
    My advice is don't use their car parks.

well said, next time I am clamped, or anyone else for that matter, I have 2 words . " ANGLE " and " GRINDER ".

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It's very hard to prove any damage was done, when said clamp goes missing...

"what clamp? I didnt remove it. Some other 'anti-clamper' must be on a mission. How do I know you didn't remove it?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I wish there was a fine for stupid threads.

I don't see what's stupid about this thread? In fact, I find it very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

gurramok wrote: »
    Banned, what you on about? They cannot clamp your car legally in a private area as there is no law governing it. You can remove said clamp without damage and penalty, this has been discussed to death on the Motors forum previously. Whats stopping you?

What I don't get is, and this is a genuine question, are the clampers given some sort of licence from the City Council/Government which allows them to clamp? What's stopping me and a few of the lads throwing on hi-vis jackets, getting some clamps, and going around clamping illegally-parked cars? Think of the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

A friend removed a clamp from his jeep once by letting down the tyre ( massive tyres).

Or so he says anyway, but I have no reason to believe its a lie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I work for a welding firm that also stocks industrial gases, Oxy, CO2, etc.
    We carry portable tanks for off site work & repair jobs.
    The guys have told me tales of removing their own & others clamps with a gas torch in seconds.
    They bring the clamp with them & chuck them in our recycling skip in work for steel scrap metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i know a guy that clamped the clamper's van after his own car was clamped by them... then told the clampers he'd release their van if they released his car... they released his car lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I remember hearing on Joe Duffy about a guy who was clamped and refused to pay the removal fee so he began taking the car apart. The clamper called the police and the gardai just advised him if he damages the clamp he's liable to to pay for it. After an hour and a half he had it removed without damage and handed it back to the clamper to the cheers of the crowd who had formed.

Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

antodeco wrote: »
    It's very hard to prove any damage was done, when said clamp goes missing...

"what clamp? I didnt remove it. Some other 'anti-clamper' must be on a mission. How do I know you didn't remove it?"

This.
    Would love to do it as a service, go around NCPS car parks cutting random clamps off. Cut them into little bits, then go round to NCPS and dump them outside their office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Just get a horse instead because if someone tries to clamp your horse it would kick them in the face :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i know a guy that clamped the clamper's van after his own car was clamped by them... then told the clampers he'd release their van if they released his car... they released his car lol
    http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/50441183.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

You could just park where you are supposed to park.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Trevor Kent

Just buy an old Mini (not the new BMW ones). make sure it has the 10" wheels (pre 1983 I think) And your laughing. Park where ever you want with it. MOST clampers havent got a clamp that will be snug fit on such a small wheel (remember it has to cater for big 18" wheels and such). Worked for me all through my college years.

Also if you get one old enough with an old style number plate (like 636 MZP) SOME parking attendant hand held ticket machines wont take such a number as in it has to be in the format 00-WX-xxxx. Double Win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Put a fcuk load of razorwire in your wheelwells so the fcukers cut their hands open on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Clampers are such bastards the way they target innocent people for no reason... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

There's nothing worse in the world than returning to wherever you left your car on a night out so as not to drink and drive to find it clamped.

Hangover hell and having to deal with the basterds.

Oh yeah and the way they're not doing their job, they're just out to ruin people's day for the laugh. We should be able to park illegally for as long as we like and get away with it, dammit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh yeah and the way they're not doing their job, they're just out to ruin people's day for the laugh. We should be able to park illegally for as long as we like and get away with it, dammit!

The punishment should fit the crime. Being 5 minutes late back to a car park shouldn't mean your car is immoblised and a €120 fine.

I would be very surprised if anyone was clamped for being five minutes late back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I would be very surprised if anyone was clamped for being five minutes late back.

Be very surprised, then.
    I was once clamped in a parking bay outside my own house as I was moving in. The car had the emergencies on and I was busy ferrying boxes from the car into the house. The feckers must have worked at lightspeed to get the clamp on, as I was in the house no more than about 3 or 4 minutes, moving the boxes into the hallway, and then from the hallway to various rooms.
    I'm of the opinion that only dangerous parking ought to result in a car being impeded, and in that case it should be towed by the council. Merely illegal parking, or overstays, should be punishable by a ticket and fine. To impede a person's car could, feasibly result in all manner of difficulties, including even loss of life in the case of a medical emergency.
    I like the response of the French town where clamping was introduced. The public began supergluing the locks of clamper vans every time they saw one. The clamping policy was reversed in days. Sadly, as we've seen with the public's abject response to being robbed of hundreds of billions of euro to service bank debt that's not ours, the Irish people have no spine to stand up for themselves and their rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

You`re naive.

What a complete bunch of dicks those French people were - no thought put into the hassle they caused people just doing their job.
    What happened to you was really wrong too - there will always be opportunistic arseholes - but in general, how are people being robbed in this context when they can avoid being charged this money? The sense of entitlement and the lack of personal responsibility among many adults is quite amazing at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

What a complete bunch of dicks those French people were - no thought put into the hassle they caused people just doing their job.
    What happened to you was really wrong too - there will always be opportunistic arseholes - but in general, how are people being robbed in this context when they can avoid being charged this money? The sense of entitlement and the lack of personal responsibility among many adults is quite amazing at times.

Of course, your post fails to acknowledge the hassle caused by clampers to people which is the sole purpose of their job. The French were entirely correct in their response - by costing the clampers money, they reversed the decision of the municipality and reverted to a ticketing system such as works perfectly well in many urban areas worldwide.

Of course, your post fails to acknowledge the hassle caused by clampers to people which is the sole purpose of their job.
    Hassle that's avoidable. :confused:

I'd prefer a clamper literally just doing what they're paid to do rather than a bullying **** with an inflated sense of entitlement and who thinks they're too special and important to take responsibility for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Never had problems with clampers thankfully.

I suppose not parking like a cunt down the years has helped matters somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try Legal Discussion or perhaps Motors.
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=NCPS+site%3Aboards.ie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement