Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leo Varadkar doesn't think referendums are very democratic

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

The reaction hardly exclusive to AH, it's been widely reported in all of the main media sources. Do you really think people would see a problem with what these gobschites were saying if no problems or concerns existed? Perhaps things are being taken out of context to some degree but that wouldn't be the case if people weren't genuinely peeved off at the government and worried about the future right now.

So what? concentrate on the important things then! Who gives a f**k what the main media thinks, these are guys who made our Presidential Election look like a soap opera.

It is crap that when public transport fares have risen dramatically and we will get more huff and puff from this, a time when Leo actually says something correct and honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

God, another bloody thing taken out of context, seriously, AH is full of these Helen Lovejoy threads!

"He said something and I was offended!"

:rolleyes::rolleyes: 'A discussion thread on a 'forum' where nobody has an opinion?.....run that one by me again there Leo'.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes: 'A discussion thread on a 'forum' where nobody has an opinion?.....run that one by me again there Leo'.

Yeah that's the lazy easily offended simple thread.

The more interesting thread would have been why is saying something that sounds so wrong but is actually true?

Perfect example, people have been giving out for years and years about costs, expenses, gravy trains etc., one of the main targets? The tribunals. Cost tens and tens of millions and deliver very very little.

So? Referendum.

Lets scrap the tribunals and create parliamentary inquiries, ya know, like the ones they have in pretty much all countries, we even have some great examples, the very successful DIRT inquiry, costs hardly anything compared to Tribunals and actually means something.

Did it pass? Nope, people got paranoid and thought politicians would be flying through the windows. The only actual group who organised opposition? THE LEGAL PROFESSION surprise fricking surprise. Idiots, seriously!

How can you see these things and not think what Leo is saying is so true but people are going mad, why? Well cause it's true.

Yeah that's the lazy easily offended simple thread.

The more interesting thread would have been why is saying something that sounds so wrong but is actually true?

Perfect example, people have been giving out for years and years about costs, expenses, gravy trains etc., one of the main targets? The tribunals. Cost tens and tens of millions and deliver very very little.

So? Referendum.

Lets scrap the tribunals and create parliamentary inquiries, ya know, like the ones they have in pretty much all countries, we even have some great examples, the very successful DIRT inquiry, costs hardly anything compared to Tribunals and actually means something.

Did it pass? Nope, people got paranoid and thought politicians would be flying through the windows. The only actual group who organised opposition? THE LEGAL PROFESSION surprise fricking surprise. Idiots, seriously!

How can you see these things and not think what Leo is saying is so true but people are going mad, why? Well cause it's true.

Did you ever stop to ask yourself why Leo and his party haven't expressed this opinion before?
    Turning to the electorate is the only option we have to excercise democracy, how dare a politician or a political party undermine that from the comfort of power, especially in light of the promses they have reneged on. The electorate, of course, where 'clever and informed' when they swallowed that pile of tosh. The arrogance of power has set in very quickly with this bunch of ****wits. Varadkar is in the frontline for a good fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

God, another bloody thing taken out of context, seriously, AH is full of these Helen Lovejoy threads!

"He said something and I was offended!"

Sweet Jesus. People have an opinion,. Get over yourself. While you appear to be the resident FG/Lab cheerleader on here, the rest of us can actually SEE what's going on.

• Advertisement

Did you ever stop to ask yourself why Leo and his party haven't expressed this opinion before?
    Turning to the electorate is the only option we have to excercise democracy, how dare a politician or a political party undermine that from the comfort of power, especially in light of the promses they have reneged on. The electorate, of course, where 'clever and informed' when they swallowed that pile of tosh. The arrogance of power has set in very quickly with this bunch of ****wits. Varadkar is in the frontline for a good fall.

Pfffttt, sorry but if ya don't understand how coalitions work, that's your problem.

The people did not want either party to fully implement their policies, they wanted a mixture.

Now who is not respecting democracy?

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus. People have an opinion,. Get over yourself. While you appear to be the resident FG/Lab cheerleader on here, the rest of us can actually SEE what's going on.

If this is the standard of what people see, I am worried.

Rail/Bus fares go up a huge percentage...not much anger
    Leo says something that is not pandering has a good bit of truth...rabble rabble rabble

****, I ain't no cheerleader, if you want sycophantic politics, go back to FF

If this is the standard of what people see, I am worried.

Rail/Bus fares go up a huge percentage...not much anger
    Leo says something that is not pandering has a good bit of truth...rabble rabble rabble

Or their mirror image, FG, who you cheerlead loudly on here. Across several threads.

Or their mirror image, FG, who you cheerlead loudly on here. Across several threads.

Yes me giving out about their transport cost increases is very cheerleadery or their reneging on top pays for advisors, yes that is certainly me supporting them constantly.

You will see in all the threads you point out, it is all stupid things people were giving out about. I don't care about the tabloid headline, I care about the real issues, not the cosmetic crap you seem to like.

You give out about Leo not respecting democracy yet in the same breath, you rant about the democratic will of the people in voting in a coalition which any person not stupid would realise, means that not all promises/plans or whatever could be implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

*blinks*

http://www.boards.ie/search/?u=350852&sort=newest

If this is the standard of what people see, I am worried. Rail/Bus fares go up a huge percentage...not much anger Leo says something that is not pandering has a good bit of truth...rabble rabble ...

Pfffttt, sorry but if ya don't understand how coalitions work, that's your problem. The people did not want either party to fully implement their policies, they wanted a mixture. Now who is not ...

Yeah that's the lazy easily offended simple thread. The more interesting thread would have been why is saying something that sounds so wrong but is actually true? Perfect example, people have be ...

So what? concentrate on the important things then! Who gives a f**k what the main media thinks, these are guys who made our Presidential Election look like a soap opera. It is crap that when publi ...

God, another bloody thing taken out of context, seriously, AH is full of these Helen Lovejoy threads! "He said something and I was offended!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.c ...

Did Enda Kenny blame the Irish people for the crisis?

Ah lads, scraping the barrel here. If you are a child, then yes, you can take this attitude of "he told me it was not my fault" but seriously, you are speaking to adults here. You want something to gi ...

:rolleyes: He did not say the entire Irish public, too many Helen Lovejoys on this thread. I have spoken to a good few people who work in mortgage collections for a bank, unfortunately, the majori ...

No worries, all good. Of course I would have no problem with a thread like that. We often speak in generalities even if we all know there are exceptions to every case. There is something real abou ...

You did? News to me. These are your posts to me in this thread: "No idea why you refer to a Daily Mail reference, since I don't read tabloids. The difference between your example and Kenny is that Ke ...

Nice work.

• Advertisement

Pfffttt, sorry but if ya don't understand how coalitions work, that's your problem.

The people did not want either party to fully implement their policies, they wanted a mixture.

Now who is not respecting democracy?

The great scapegoat....coalition is it?
    I don't think that is gonna save the people who said 'Not one penny more to bondholders.....or......It's Labour's way, not Frankfurts way'.
    The reality is Leo The Lying really does see the electorate as stupid, he will find out who the stupid one is very soon.

The great scapegoat....coalition is it?
    I don't think that is gonna save the people who said 'Not one penny more to bondholders.....or......It's Labour's way, not Frankfurts way'.
    The reality is Leo The Lying really does see the electorate as stupid, he will find out who the stupid one is very soon.

So what? Concentrate on that then, that is real, that has substance. leave the trashy tabloid nonsense out, it just brings standards down.

mikom wrote: »

Wow, how creepy of you:confused:

Do you mind removing that? Yes I like talking politics, but posting a load of posts I made in different threads ain't very cool, it is downright creepy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

People wouldn't want to "get one over on the government" if they had kept the promises they made during their election or refrained from abusing their position for their own personal advantage.

As it stands, I very seriously doubt they would let issue of significance come to a referendum, it would solely be to serve as a distraction or to give us the illusion of having a say.

Wow, how creepy of you:confused:

Makes for creepy reading alright.....

So what? Concentrate on that then, that is real, that has substance. leave the trashy tabloid nonsense out, it just brings standards down.

Leo was firing the first cheap shots of a referendum campaign. You just been bought early.
    It is our jobs on here and on other forums to make sure his bull**** is seen for what it is; bull**** spin and fear mongering. The same spin Enda indulged in on the international stage. He was stupid and careless enough to hope that it wouldn't be picked up on. Expect these retards to keep foot in mouth going forward.

Leo was firing the first cheap shots of a referendum campaign. You just been bought early.
    It is our jobs on here and on other forums to make sure his bull**** is seen for what it is; bull**** spin and fear mongering. The same spin Enda indulged in on the international stage. He was stupid and careless enough to hope that it wouldn't be picked up on. Expect these retards to keep foot in mouth going forward.

That is fine, but do with the stuff you mentioned before, that's decent stuff, not this other stuff. There are very few people in a week who will care that Enda did not say the word "some", everyone else moves on. It's tabloid. Your job should be highlighting real stuff not this nonsense.

That is fine, but do with the stuff you mentioned before, that's decent stuff, not this other stuff. There are very few people in a week who will care that Enda did not say the word "some", everyone else moves on. It's tabloid. Your job should be highlighting real stuff not this nonsense.

I'll tell you what...off you toddle and make some threads about what you see as 'important' and we'll discuss the unimportant stuff. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

i presume fg getting in wasn't very democratic either.

people voted in fg/lab cause of ff but i wonder if they are any different

he can't have it both ways the idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

this is all i saw, the i laughed... a lot....

190571.png

• Advertisement

I'll tell you what...off you toddle and make some threads about what you see as 'important' and we'll discuss the unimportant stuff. :rolleyes:

off you toddle, you don't even reply when I mention breaking salary caps and transport costs. Are your blinkers on?

Makes for creepy reading alright.....

anyway...

*moves away from the creepy lurker*

Yes me giving out about their transport cost increases is very cheerleadery or their reneging on top pays for advisors, yes that is certainly me supporting them constantly.

You will see in all the threads you point out, it is all stupid things people were giving out about. I don't care about the tabloid headline, I care about the real issues, not the cosmetic crap you seem to like.

You give out about Leo not respecting democracy yet in the same breath, you rant about the democratic will of the people in voting in a coalition which any person not stupid would realise, means that not all promises/plans or whatever could be implemented.

The main things you have been 'giving out about' appear to be:

* People crticising the Government.

* People pointing out the glaringly obvious re the Bank bailout.

* People equally pointing out the glaringly obvious re the 'bondholders'

* People pointing out the National deficit, how long we can continue to borrow 400m a wee, PS/CS/SW costs re that same deficit.

off you toddle, you don't even reply when I mention breaking salary caps and transport costs. Are your blinkers on?

Have you seen the thread title? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

ascanbe wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is taking what he said out of context.
    It's quite clear what he's saying; that the 'ordinary' people can't comprehend these issues, can be easily 'mislead' and therefore it's more democratic to not let them vote on something at all than risk them getting it 'wrong'.
    This is the exact kind of logic dictators use to justify not having general elections; the 'ordinary' people don't understand what's happening, might be mislead, might vote in the 'wrong' people, ie the opposition, and this would be bad for the country.
    Therefore it's better not to give them a choice in the matter.
    For their own good.
    but the referendums are made to be incomprehensible for the 'ordinary' people

The main things you have been 'giving out about' appear to be:

* People crticising the Government.

* People pointing out the glaringly obvious re the Bank bailout.

* People equally pointing out the glaringly obvious re the 'bondholders'

* People pointing out the National deficit, how long we can continue to borrow 400m a wee, PS/CS/SW costs re that same deficit.

Well not really, if you read it correctly, I give out about:

Lol wait, wasn't your suggestion to default and then us to have borrow money at a much much higher interest rate? I don't think you replied when we pointed that out. Not the best of plans

As for your last point, well no, we simply pointed out that Government spending is not confined to the three groups you limited it to, I said it spent on more areas.

I don't remember what ya said about the bailout? Remind me?

I criticize stupid people :cool:

Well not really, if you read it correctly, I give out about:

Lol wait, wasn't your suggestion to default and then us to have borrow money at a much much higher interest rate? I don't think you replied when we pointed that out. Not the best of plans

As for your last point, well no, we simply pointed out that Government spending is not confined to the three groups you limited it to, I said it spent on more areas.

I don't remember what ya said about the bailout? Remind me?

I criticize stupid people :cool:

So do others.:cool: Except the stupid ones keep their economic heads in the sand - with their fingers in their ears. Hoping it will all go away.

anyway...

*moves away from the creepy lurker*
    mikom

A lurker is someone that follows the forum but doesn't post.

Anything else you need defining...... cheerleader perhaps?

A lurker is someone that follows the forum but doesn't post.

Anything else you need defining...... cheerleader perhaps?

Ah you got me...hilarious :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

but the referendums are made to be incomprehensible for the 'ordinary' people

no they arent, its just the subject matter we have them on happens to be complicated. If people cant understand them then they should stay at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

How could ye not trust Leo? The undemocratictasity of it of it all. Leo knows his stuff about prudent budgeting and I'm sure he knows whats best for..... :pac: fúck it, done my best to type that without laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

NinjaK wrote: »
    You liberal fascists really are crazy.

What in the name of sweet suffering shyte is a liberal fascist ?

Are they the ones who only wanted to send the Jews to Madagascar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

I'm sure it has already been said, but people need to revisit and reacquaint themselves with the meaning of the word democratic.

There is nothing undemocratic about misleading campaign statements so long as both sides have an opportunity to present their campaigns' arguments as clearly and as extensively as they so wish.

If both sides do present their cases clearly and extensively and freely, and the public nevertheless make a decision which you think was the wrong decision, then you may call the choice foolish (in your opinion), but not undemocratic.

Advertisement