Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do Your Friends know???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

OhYesItIs wrote: »
    My only hesitancy in recommending boards is when I just know you can easily get pummelled by an angry mob for expressing a valid honest opinion, very often delivered with good intentions.

You come across all sorts on boards.

Tbh, I've been on much, much worse forums for pile-ons. I think if one instance of people vehemently disagreeing with you puts you off, the internet is probably not for you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭OhYesItIs

Interested in those other forums. I'd love to share that experience.

Millicent wrote: »
    My only hesitancy in recommending boards is when I just know you can easily get pummelled by an angry mob for expressing a valid honest opinion, very often delivered with good intentions.

You come across all sorts on boards.

Tbh, I've been on much, much worse forums for pile-ons. I think if one instance of people vehemently disagreeing with you puts you, the internet is probably not for you anyway.

Hahaha! Get your mind out of the gutter. :D

Hehehe! Honestly millicent, I wasn't thinking that, I was thinking motorcar or wrestling enthusiasts, I'm digging me a hole here no doubt.

Hahaha! Get your mind out of the gutter. :D

Hehehe! Honestly millicent, I wasn't thinking that, I was thinking motorcar or wrestling enthusiasts, I'm digging me a hole here no doubt.

Yup, I'm building up a fairly dodgy mental image of you here. :D Car or wrestling sites I'm not sure on; the ones I'm thinking of were metal and writing forums.

Metal and writing? I'm a bit slow on the up take obviously . Heavy metal and original or journalistic writing? I don't want to waste ur precious minutes, can't find smiles icon, but smiling . Genuinely, what forums can you get a good key board bashing on? To me, boards.ie seems to be the most prominent in that field...smiles.

Yup, I'm building up a fairly dodgy mental image of you here. :D Car or wrestling sites I'm not sure on; the ones I'm thinking of were metal and writing forums.

Metal and writing? I'm a bit slow on the up take obviously . Heavy metal and original or journalistic writing? I don't want to waste ur precious minutes, can't find smiles icon, but smiling . Genuinely, what forums can you get a good key board bashing on? To me, boards.ie seems to be the most prominent in that field...smiles.

Sorry, yeah--heavy metal sites and a creative writing/journalism site. Try Metal Hammer for some good abuse. Go in there and say you don't know why Nickelback get such a hard time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So do. Some are here. One showed me boards.ie

And others are finding it so useful, that they're joining it as well :D

Ha ha! Now I get ya. Yeah I might do that.

I can remember when audible chatvrooms started up, you could listen to conversations taking place. They were scary, particulary the Belfast chat rooms.

Threatening to come round to ones house and blow ones legs off were common of a weekend when the buckie was being imbibed.

I guess theyre all shut now. Cheers and thanks. Gotta go.
    Good luck to ya!

Sorry, yeah--heavy metal sites and a creative writing/journalism site. Try Metal Hammer for some good abuse. Go in there and say you don't know why Nickelback get such a hard time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I tried to explain my promotion to Mod to my girlfriend. Conversation went something like this:

Me: I got made a mod on boards!
    GF: A what on where?
    Me: A mod. like I moderate a forum, make sure everything goes smoothly. and boards is a website where you discuss things.
    GF: You're such a weirdo...

One of my mates is on boards. But he has like 70 posts, so he doesn't really count.

I did find one of my bosses on boards. I'm not gonna lie, I've been keeping an eye...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Only know of one friend who uses the site. When she told me she did we both had a moment of awkward silence then changed the subject! Neither of us wanted to tell.

Boyfriend's friend asked me mine once. I couldn't come up with a lie fast enough so told him the truth.

Also my brother uses Boards and I had a mod find out his username for me!

I don't really tell people but I don't really hide myself too well on the site so its easy to figure out if you were to stalk me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Ha ha! Now I get ya. Yeah I might do that.

I can remember when audible chatvrooms started up, you could listen to conversations taking place. They were scary, particulary the Belfast chat rooms.

Threatening to come round to ones house and blow ones legs off were common of a weekend when the buckie was being imbibed.

I guess theyre all shut now. Cheers and thanks. Gotta go.
    Good luck to ya!

Ah, you two seem like a lovely couple :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

No most of them haven't even heard of Boards :confused:. I got one friend to sign up when we were having a few drinks one night but he got himself perma banned within half an hour as well as getting me into trouble.
    Sindri wrote: »
    What did he do?:D

Tell the truth, your "friend" is Face Kicker, isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭jay phelan

If I bring it up in conversation people will be like what? OH knows I'm on Boards and they are also on it themselves.

I don't mind people knowing I'm on it but sometimes it brings unwanted hassle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Are people that much different on boards than they are in real life? Why would it bother you if your friends knew? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Most of my friends are still afraid of the interweb, never mine me talking to other people on it. Bookface is as close to geek as they'll get.

NNEEEERRRRRRRDDD!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

All my friends know.

None of my friends know.

Both those statements are correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Some & None.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

patwicklow wrote: »
    how may pats are there in wicklow? :D

Ah Pat tis yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some do.
    It's always funny when I run into someone I know from boards in a pub or so and my friends ask "Who's that?".
    "Oh, someone I know from the internet."
    "??!!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

I'd be a little freaked out if I thought Mods would reveal this information.

Anyway my mates don't know and I don't post much but wouldn't be bothered if they did, I'm not a very controversial poster :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

kraggy wrote: »
    Most people I mention Boards to have never heard of it.

Me too, makes me feel like even more of a nerd in my circle of friends :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

My friends don't even know about Boards or any of the other sites I'm on, let alone know what a "forum" is. Only guy I know on this is AlmightyCushion.

It's just easier if I say I talk to digital people on dee box.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My OH knows my username.. I doubt he bothers reading my posts though..

Anyone I ever mention Boards to usually don't know what I'm on about..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

My boybestie knows I'm on this, and has an inkling of my username, he lurks but doesnt have a username. I know my little brother is on it, but while I know his name, he doesn't know mine.
    Some people from college are identifiable by having same username as they had on the college messageboards - election time identifies EVERYONE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

One person. He knows who he is. He will not betray my identity, no Garden of Gethsemane moment for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

I haven't garnered the courage to come out of the closet as a boards.ie user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Yup, some of my friends are members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Just my stalkers....

But yea, 2 of my mates know I am on it as they are too. I have met them in real life so they count as my friends....

Anyway, why would anybody care tbh. I seen Boards as like an online mental institution, where lunatics can ramble on without fear of being judge by the normal ones in society. The only stories they hear of Boards are from those who were "admitted" here for a short time then "released"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

A few know, although they don't really know what boards is, and they think I'm absolutely insane to have made friends online!

The username is the same name I use for something else and they do find it weird, even though its one of the more easily explained usernames on here (album title).

I fcuking hope my exs aren't on here, my dirty laundry is all over boards :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'd imagine most of them know and hell I made loads at boards beers / LAN parties over the years, so they're mostly on the site too ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Nope and i'd doubt they really care either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

My girlfriend knows I'm on it and is on it herself. One of my best mates is on it but I've never spoken about it to anyone else too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

Yes, well the one that referred me here anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Most of my friends are on boards, so yeah.
    had a night out the other night, with some boardsies and a couple of non boardsies, I invited my cousin, but a few people didn't want others to know who they were / that they were on boards, the first question my cousin asks when she sits down - so how do you all know each other?

:/
    Fourteen wrote: »
    What about this:

Have any of you worked out that a member on here is someone you know by reading their posts?

I haven't :)

I have with crap loads of people.
    I'd be a little freaked out if I thought Mods would reveal this information.

yeah, you'd think it'd be against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

:eek:

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MinesAlargeone

no and no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

No, not really.

Some of them say 'are you still on that boards thing' but don't really know much about it.

Wouldn't care if they did... it's hardly a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

had a night out the other night, with some boardsies and a couple of non boardsies

Sure there were baordsies popping up outta nowhere too! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

No. My hubby knows I lerk here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I dont have any friends :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I don't think my friends even know what boards is! So no, none of them know my username! Loads of friends have spotted me on a different forum that is work related and have said it to me, so need to be careful with what I write on that one:o

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Only know of one friend who uses the site. When she told me she did we both had a moment of awkward silence then changed the subject! Neither of us wanted to tell.

Boyfriend's friend asked me mine once. I couldn't come up with a lie fast enough so told him the truth.

I don't really tell people but I don't really hide myself too well on the site so its easy to figure out if you were to stalk me.

Sorry... which mod are you claiming did that? Mods cant see private data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Posting comments on a website is acceptable, taking photos of yourself a la duck face is perfectly fine I can't explain my videos on Youtube to friends, especially the ones where I'm covered in cheese and naked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

saa wrote: »
    Posting comments on a website is acceptable, taking photos of yourself a la duck face is perfectly fine I can't explain my videos on Youtube to friends, especially the ones where I'm covered in cheese and naked.

You sound like you're fon to due

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Yes and some only know me by this name...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Novella wrote: »
    Yup, some of my friends are members.
    I've also called some of my friends members in my time ... don't usually put it so politely though! >_>

Actually, come to think of it, I regularly call one of your friends a "member"! :D
    I seen Boards as like an online mental institution, where lunatics can ramble on without fear of being judge by the normal ones in society.
    That's just AH! ;)
    azezil wrote: »
    ... hell I made loads at boards beers / LAN parties over the years ...
    Freudian slip, Az? :P :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Most of Limerick seems to know I'm a mod here now...

Not that I ever make a secret of it! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I've talked about using the site to a few friends at times. To be honest, its not really something that's ever come up. I have Xbox live and friends who are on it too but there's a few who I've just never got around to adding.
    I wouldn't be opposed to telling them at the same time, I'd tell them if they asked, maybe:D.
    I won't go putting up a picture or anything just yet though, it's people neighbours and relatives I don't talk to, too frequently I wouldn't want knowing I'm a complete psychopath on here.
    That said if you ask me nicely I'll probably PM you a pic of myself so you can say hello if you ever see me with my handlers in public ;):pac:

i often mention "that forum i'm on" but that's about it
    lot of them have no interest in fora
    i think i use this username often enough everywhere they might know it

• Advertisement
Advertisement