Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does one evade inebriating the exuberance of one's own verbosity?

• 30-01-2012 12:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ooooo look who swallowed a dictionary :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Hoots mon! Who let the juice loose aboot this hoose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Blast it with thesauri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

I'll have a consonant Carol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'll have an hyperbole Carol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Inebriating was the wrong word to take a guess on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Alan_H_1991

stovelid wrote: »

huh :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

stovelid wrote: »

"Evade" doesn't really fit either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ill have a corpse please bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

huh :confused:

Do you always thank posts that confuse you deeply?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I liked the money pit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Can someone translate the title of this thread? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,449 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

gurramok wrote: »
    Can someone translate the title of this thread? :)

A sophisticated rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity."
    - Disraeli, describing his great Liberal rival Gladstone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Since exuberance is, qua itself as metaphor, a form of intoxication, your formulation is tautologous, indeed redundant. However, to examine your query on the level of statement as opposed to metaphor, it is of course impossible to render an abstraction such as exuberance inebriated, since the verb requires the process of physical intoxication via the means of alcohol, a process impossible for a non-corporeal abstraction.
    Your query is without comprehensible semantic meaning on at least two levels, which leads me to the conclusion that your alleged verbosity is in fact merely a facade for either a talent for surrealism or simpleminded idiocy.
    Thanks for asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Welcome to the the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Your ignorance is personified by the exuberance of your own verbosity....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,449 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Since exuberance is, qua itself as metaphor, a form of intoxication, your formulation is tautologous, indeed redundant. However, to examine your query on the level of statement as opposed to metaphor, it is of course impossible to render an abstraction such as exuberance inebriated, since the verb requires the process of physical intoxication via the means of alcohol, a process impossible for a non-corporeal abstraction.
    Your query is without comprehensible semantic meaning on at least two levels, which leads me to the conclusion that your alleged verbosity is in fact merely a facade for either a talent for surrealism or simpleminded idiocy.
    Thanks for asking.

That's what I was going to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I think I'm after having an epiphany...

...in my pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Do you mean how to avoid the ould isolative ego consuming you?

In my experience, impossible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

talent for surrealism or simpleminded idiocy

Synonyms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

English and stuff. Right on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Thanks for asking.

I find that to be a cromulent response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

ascanbe wrote: »
    I find that to be a cromulent response.

And I feel I have been embiggened for having read it.

Confab wrote: »
    Synonyms.

In AH? Almost always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

And here was me thinking he meant 'how do you avoid letting on you are drunk while conversing with others'

or something...
    ...so how do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I concur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Incredibly off topic. (not that there seems to be one!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Thanks for asking.

:pac::pac:

:pac::pac:

Full marks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Jaysus man, you need to stop drinking absinthe and go back to drinking beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Oh the irony, the OP wasn't verbose at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

You're intoxicated on the exuberence of your own verbosity or something like it is a quote from westminster by Benjamin Disraeli.

I used it often thinking myself clever when I was 13 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

ill have a corpse please bob
    baaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahh!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Try again OP. You used the quote incorrectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Thread title sounds like the author was inebriated on something other than their own wordiness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I strongly recommend hitting a friend with an enormous rubber frying pan with hilarious results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Im finding this whole thread quite reductive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-à-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V prinz. 'Nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

This is such a cromulent thread, it emboldens my spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭brimal

This thread reminds me of the user Contemplating Aristotle who was on here last year.

Proper stoner threads.

http://www.boards.ie/search/?u=451382&title=1&sort=newest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I am mindful to respond but I am insufficiently articulate! So I must demur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

What a disambiguation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Wossack

I invaded yer ma's inebriated exuberance

with my knob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

In the words of Lisa Simpson (to Lionel Hutz)...
    "I recognise all three of those words but that statement doesn't make any sense."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Or in other word how do you stop getting the enthusiasm of your own wordiness drunk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Thanks for asking.

You tell him, big mon ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fúck knows.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Disraeli is on my list of men I'd fúck in a gun-to-the-head situation. Him and Elvis.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

elucidation for the population

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

As the vigin mary said to the other fella - come again?

• Advertisement
Advertisement