Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have a favorite rapper right now?

• 30-01-2012 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭

Anyone who you find yourself constantly listening to or favoring the last while?

im not talking about your all time favorite just want to know is there anyone you find yourself giving a strong preference to atm....

i know a few of ye might know but kendrick lamar is my favorite rapper right now, i think he is class. Have been listening to him a lot again lately.

i think we have a potentially huge star here, if he can break the commercial market he will be huge imo, section 80 was the best peice of hip hop released in 2011 without a doubt imo.

also find myself listining to a lot of nas again lately, just finished listning to his greatest hits album right there... has to go down as 1 of the best who ever touched the mic, hopefully this will be a good year nasty nas.

anyone got a favorite right now? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Up and comers - Hopsin and Lamar (boy was I wrong about him).

Otherwise it is older stuff, or older acts still recording and a few others who have been at it for years and will probably never make it huge.

Very recently I re-listened to OG Hindu Kush in 3D and that album is a seriously good album.

2pac, obviously, on the year he would have been 40 (2011).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

H h hopsin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Ghostface Killah. I've been going back to some of his older stuff the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Recently, a lot of Gang Starr, Nas and J. Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Of the newer guys, I've been listening to a bit of Yelawolf and liked his stuff so far. Still debating whether to get his album or not.

Other than that, I don't really listen to ANY contemporary music beyond what I hear in nightclubs and stuff.

I've been playing the first two Nappy Roots albums a fair bit recently, I'm surprised they didn't do better than they did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The 2 people that are in rotation for me at the moment are Mr. Mutha****in eXquire and Koncept.

I think that eXquire is one of the best mc's ever. His delivery, his style, his subject matter. The guy is just brilliant.
    I read a comment on him that he is the modern day Biggie. It's not a comarison to Biggie, it's a comparison to the way they appeared on the scene, where they are from and how they spit. I think it's true to an extent, but eXquire will not follow the same path as Big, different times and all that.

In relation to Koncept, his new album Awaken is excellent, nothing complicated, just dope beats, dope rhymes and dope cuts. So I've been going over his discog and it's great. Very charismatic fellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,895 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Tech N9ne is my fave rapper currently, can't see that changing any time soon!
    Best up and coming rapper I'd say is Hopsin, roll on Knock Madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I've being listening to a fair bit of Drake recently, re-listened to Thank Me Later awhile back and have being playing tracks off that a lot

I threw on Funcrusher + the other day, gets easier to listen to every time I play it :)

Other than that the more recent releases/artsits I've playing would be The Roots, Kanye and ASAP Rocky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Raekwon and DMX, always have konwn they were excellent rappers but just recently started appreciating their music a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Yelawolf atm. Started listening to some old Eminem stuff again too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

a lot of good shouts there, hospin seems to be building a big fan base here rightfully so too i think he is head and shoulders above tyler and his crew.
    Of the newer guys, I've been listening to a bit of Yelawolf and liked his stuff so far. Still debating whether to get his album or not.

i didn't like the album mate, there's a handful of good songs but I wouldn't fork out money for it tbh it was very different to what i taught it would sound like. bit of a letdown imo.
    think that eXquire is one of the best mc's ever. His delivery, his style, his subject matter. The guy is just brilliant.
    I read a comment on him that he is the modern day Biggie. It's not a comarison to Biggie, it's a comparison to the way they appeared on the scene, where they are from and how they spit. I think it's true to an extent, but eXquire will not follow the same path as Big, different times and all that.

must give this guy a listen so never heard of him he cant be as bad as the other modern day b.i.g, the biggest bawse ricky ross according to the leach diddy who actually said ross is the next biggie lol.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The 2 people that are in rotation for me at the moment are Mr. Mutha****in eXquire and Koncept.

I think that eXquire is one of the best mc's ever. His delivery, his style, his subject matter. The guy is just brilliant.

In relation to Koncept, his new album Awaken is excellent, nothing complicated, just dope beats, dope rhymes and dope cuts. So I've been going over his discog and it's great. Very charismatic fellow.

I'm listenin to the gold watch at the moment, and i have to say I am stunned.
    The song is unbelievable, almost perfection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Wow he really sounds like Biggie even has a slight biggie/pun crazy breathing going on.

fu*k in hell he is good, seems to me the underground scene sounds the way its meant to.

artists with music like this would of had no problem blowing up a few years ago.

these type of rappers are the one's who suffer the most in this bubblegum era we are in imo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

eXquire ia quality, one of the few rappers to come out of N.Y in the last few years that has a buzz about them

His beat selection is impressive too, from unknown Necro beats to classic EL-P beats; he's killing it atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I really like Danny Brown a lot recently. He's such an oddball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

My favourite rapper right now ---> Shanaqui Edel Byrne Irish rapper and a good friend of mine, well proud! :)

Also Xzibit, just beginning to realise in the past month or so how brilliant he actually is, at the speed of life is an unbelievable album.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Also Xzibit, just beginning to realise in the past month or so how brilliant he actually is, at the speed of life is an unbelievable album.

"Paparazzi" is one of my favourite songs of all time. Epic beat on it. Twas also in The Sopranos. "To Junior, salut".

• Advertisement

Xzibit is a dope MC with an outstanding voice. I could listen to him all day.

I remember when I first heard of him on Alkholics and King Tee records, and then when he dropped Papparazzi I was in awe.
    I havent really kept up to speed with his more recent albums as production wise I think he has taken a wrong turn.

But his first few albums are incredibly good.

I think that the whole Pimp My Ride has been a good thing and a bad thing for him. He's a household name now, but not for his music unfortunately. And then when there is a meme about you, tis not good.

This is one of my favorite X songs, beat is fire and the video is great as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I like Sims lots...

Big Boi, Kweli, Cecil Otter to name a few more.(to lazy to embed them!)

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I like Sims lots...

Big Boi, Kweli, Cecil Otter to name a few more.(to lazy to embed them!)

I'm also a big fan of Sims and Cecil Otter. Cecil is an excellent song writer and producer, he really bring his subject to life.
    Sims has improved so much, he started off as being really good, and has progressed alot over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Drake, wayne, Khaled and waka flocka.

Hugh Cream wrote: »

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,834 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Joell Ortiz, ODB, and Ice Cube, some quality lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

My favourite rapper right now ---> Shanaqui Edel Byrne Irish rapper and a good friend of mine, well proud! :)

Anything recorded and on the net?

My favourite for the last year or so has been Danny Brown.

Schoolboy Q has impressed the **** out of me recently as well.

Hugh Cream wrote: »

Not tryin to be smart but out of interest in what way do they appeal to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Anything recorded and on the net?

I have a thread put up for her here. She would appreciate the interest and feedback. Thanks. P.S her songs are much clearer on her facebook profile. :)

• Advertisement

ye Xzibit is a great shout you do actually forget how good his older stuff is!, really has gone quiet music wise these days.

Advertisement