Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History Research Topic Ideas

• 30-01-2012 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm in fifth year and having a really hard time picking a topic! It seems most people in my class are picking topics relating to war which really does not interest me. I was thinking about doing it on Heinrich Kramer and his influence on the witch hunts. Would that be a good topic? What other ideas can you think of because I'm drawing a blank for other ideas!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

6th Year History student here.. Finished my project about a week ago. Did it on Laurence Gilson and the Gilson Endowed School. The examiners are sick of reading essays about the World Wars and that kind of stuff (or so I've been told :p), so unless you have a unique angle to approach a war essay I would try to avoid it. Do something which interests you, is underreported and something that will hold the correctors interest also. Local history is ideal but +1 for the witch hunt essay! Sounds really interesting! :D Hope I helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Lena137

Thanks! :D Good luck in yours, I've never heard of Laurence Gilson before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

I did mine on Grigori Rasputin, the Russian Mystic who had a particularly close relationship with Tsarina Alexandra and is believed to be somewhat responsible for Russia doing badly in WW2. My project was based on his murder and the mystery of it. (Russian aristocrats felt threatened by him so plotted to kill him) Despite being poisoned, beaten and shot 3 times he still managed to survive until he was drowned in the River Nena. I just discussed it in relation to the accounts given by his murderers and whether or not his death is as mysterious as it's perceived to be because of the amount of conflicting evidence. Absolutely loved writing about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Also, have you heard of the Charles Manson murders? My teacher told me before that he had a student who did it on that and it was a really interesting project! The more interesting the better I think.

We covered Rasputin in class so there is no way my teahcer would allow me do the project on him. He sure was an interesting character. Charles Manson would be intersting but personally I don't think I'd be able to research about that... Thanks for the ideas! : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 finnianc17

I did mine on the assasination of lord mountbatten by the IRA in 1979. There is an axcellent primary source as mountbatten's grandson who survived the bomb wrote a book about it. It is actually quite unbiased considering who wrote it but the majority of my other sources are very pro Ira Anti British or Anti IRA pro british !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Lena137 wrote: »
    We covered Rasputin in class so there is no way my teahcer would allow me do the project on him. He sure was an interesting character.
    Rasputin's not a key personality so there's no reason your teacher shouldn't allow you to do it, definitely think about it if you find him interesting.

Repeating this year so I need another project topic. I can't use the same one again right? I ended up doing it on Heinrich Kramer and the Malleus Maleficarum last year. Not sure about this year. I'm not sure I want to put myself through more Nazi Germany but the Nazi Persecution of gays and the pink triangle sort of interests me. Especially with them still not having equal rights. I could be wrong on this but I think I read that when other prisoners were freed they weren't. I really need other ideas though. Any suggestions? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lena137 wrote: »
    Repeating this year so I need another project topic. I can't use the same one again right? I ended up doing it on Heinrich Kramer and the Malleus Maleficarum last year. Not sure about this year. I'm not sure I want to put myself through more Nazi Germany but the Nazi Persecution of gays and the pink triangle sort of interests me. Especially with them still not having equal rights. I could be wrong on this but I think I read that when other prisoners were freed they weren't. I really need other ideas though. Any suggestions? :)

Joseph Kohout (Heinz Heger) might be an interesting topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

The big bang

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Cathal6606

I did mine on Grigori Rasputin, the Russian Mystic who had a particularly close relationship with Tsarina Alexandra and is believed to be somewhat responsible for Russia doing badly in WW2. My project was based on his murder and the mystery of it. (Russian aristocrats felt threatened by him so plotted to kill him) Despite being poisoned, beaten and shot 3 times he still managed to survive until he was drowned in the River Nena. I just discussed it in relation to the accounts given by his murderers and whether or not his death is as mysterious as it's perceived to be because of the amount of conflicting evidence. Absolutely loved writing about it!

I had hoped I was the only one doing this. I was going to do a similar angle too but now I'm considering something along the lines of how much influence he had on the Tasrina.

Advertisement