Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protect and Survive - Funny or Scary?

• 30-01-2012 3:00am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Back in the early 1980s the UK government had a series of public service adverts that were just a little bit different from the public safety adverts that were all the rage back then.

Instead of telling kiddies not to swim near waterfalls, climb electricity pylons or get into cars with strangers, it was a campaign called Protect & Survive and was to be broadcast in the event that a nuclear war looked likely.

Link to them here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yNVMm2KpiDI#!

These adverts, needless to say, these were never shown. But to do find them (with hindsight) hilarious, creepy, frightening or just plain stupid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Guill

To do find them indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

Not funny, not really scary either. Just chilling I suppose. Like for example listening to this guy matter-of-factly telling you to wrap your dead relatives up in plastic and then bury them in the back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I find them, or that is to say I found them, to be fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

I think these 2 films probably did more to educate the british population on the realities of nuclear war that any public safety ad could, in that, even if you do survive you probably wouldnt want to :(

Americans had a good one too but was banned i think.

To answer your question, yea creepy as fook but thank god we dont need them anymore (hopefully!) Nuclear war is nasty business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Remember iodine tablets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

justryan wrote: »
    Remember iodine tablets?

remember isotope soap

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Remember iodine tablets?

Yes, they were supposed to protect us from a nuclear disaster, weren't they?:rolleyes:

I find the Protect and Survive adverts very chilling - they'd be more aptly named "hide and die.":(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭policarp

Wash your hands, please. . .and your boots. . .
    It will curb the spread of "Shot in the foot and gob disease".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭policarp

Remember iodine tablets?
    Still have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Can't remember where I put them,tbh!

I think the BBC/PBS could do with showing Threads again. I watched it again a few weeks ago and turned on the news and there was a report on Iran's nuclear proliferation and the subsequent American freak out. Now the rest of Europe is wading in...

And yes those ads are terrifying, especially the jingle at the start.

I'd like to have it as a ringtone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Remember iodine tablets?

Yes, they were supposed to protect us from a nuclear disaster, weren't they?:rolleyes:

I find the Protect and Survive adverts very chilling - they'd be more aptly named "hide and die.":(

Yup it was around the time of the World Trade Centre attacks and everyone was hysterical that Sellafield would be attacked so every household in Ireland got some iodine tablets madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A lot of people like to put forward that Duck and Cover was nothing more than propaganda to calm niave people in the face of the inevitable. However there was some merit to the action. The main idea behind it was that if you "duck and cover" you had a better chance to avoid being struck by flying debris caused by the blast (eg flying shards of glass). Also you stood a better chance by going into hiding as soon as you heard the warning sounds as opposed to doing the natural human reaction of looking around for the source of the sounds and making yourself an easy target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Underdraft wrote: »
    Not funny, not really scary either. Just chilling I suppose. Like for example listening to this guy matter-of-factly telling you to wrap your dead relatives up in plastic and then bury them in the back garden.

dead eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I think these 2 films probably did more to educate the british population on the realities of nuclear war than any public safety ad could

Quite true imo. In fact the original movie THREADS was based on was called "The War Game", made in 1965. Due to be broadcast on the BBC on the 20th anniversary of Hiroshima, it was deemed to be too horrifying for the medium of Television, and never broadcast. Full movie below.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

They were terrifying - crappy production values or not! Weren't they shelved due to being too dodgy for national morale?

"In the event of someone dying after a nuclear attack..." :eek:

Chilling...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Hahaha, yeah standard military procedure was well known among the lower ranks in the event of a nuclear attack to be "put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye".

Weird to look back and think how close the world came to that end more than once.

It's scary as well, the way they seemed to be aimed at 'able bodied citizens'. Whatever chance they would have had, can you imagine what would have happened to the elderly, the sick, the disabled.......??

Well illustrated in the movie 'When The Wind Blows' which I have to admit, has caused me to well up on watching it, when I think about my own elderly parents, and how they would cope under such circumstances. :(

Full Movie below, a Must Watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

You have to understand the context of the time.

The new Conservative government of Britain in 1979 ordered a review of all civil defence capabilities in the UK and found them seriously deficient.

Following the logic of deterrence (I'm not making an argument for this,just stating the reasons) in that you intend to use nuclear weapons, then you must also have a good (looking) civil defence system. If not, the enemy will doubt your resolve in using nuclear weapons because you are not preparing to defend your population.

Protect and survive was just one part of the increased offensive posture adopted by the western powers in the early eighties.

Read this entry in Wikipedia about it all could have gone badly wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Stanislav Petrov,
    On September 26, 1983 he was the duty officer at the command center for the Oko nuclear early warning system when the system reported a small launch from the United States. Petrov judged that the report was a false alarm.[1] This decision may have prevented an erroneous retaliatory nuclear attack on the United States and its Western allies.
    The false nuclear attack warning involving Stanislav Petrov, however, is cited by CIA analyst Peter Pry as "the single most dangerous incident of the early 1980s."

Thanks to stan we are all here today!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Threads was a seriously depressing movie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The poor civilians being to told to shelter under an old door, whilst the government and all of their pals could laugh themselves silly below ground in nuclear bunkers, brilliant plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You'd be lucky if the nuclear blast killed you outright.
    Any survivors in the area would have a very slow and painful death to look forward to.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Now that is a very appropriate use of the rolls eyes emoticon.

Stanislav Petrov,

Thanks to stan we are all here today!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov

That was crazy !!! :eek:

I remember I had just started 6th year in secondary school at the time, and nobody knew a thing about it, until years later when the former Soviet Union collapsed. We came closer to the end that time, than we did during the Cuban missile crisis. I think Stanislav Petrov was even dishonourably discharged from the Russian Army over it, for overriding the system and stopping the launch, which seems totally insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I watched those last week after someone posted one in another thread, so strange to think that it was a serious possibility. Watched half of Threads too, such a heavy going movie :eek: Couldn't watch it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Funny. Was just propaganda.. Duck and cover... Lol that would help.

Watch full THREADS movie here*

*You may need a sleeping tablet later :eek:
    I watched those last week after someone posted one in another thread, so strange to think that it was a serious possibility. Watched half of Threads too, such a heavy going movie :eek: Couldn't watch it all.

If I recall correctly, THREADS was pulled from video shop shelves in ireland, late in 1984.
    I didn't get to see it again until I got it on DVD from Lazer in 2004.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    They were terrifying - crappy production values or not! Weren't they shelved due to being too dodgy for national morale?

"In the event of someone dying after a nuclear attack..." :eek:

Chilling...

There is something incredibly frightening about these videos. The possibility of the destruction of civilization and the world and what to do in the event of such an occurrence. Absolutely surreal and chilling. Imagine, something we take for granted just crumbling, and the siren's whining, keening, blaring, the funeral melody of the end of the world, one toneless shriek, singing, 'You have failed, humanity is lost', and creates a feeling of a deep seethed hopeless panic, that in 10 minutes, the whole world will be in flames. And the anarchy that ensues.

Sindri wrote: »
    There is something incredibly frightening about these videos.

Sure is, and even aside from the fallout, imagine the amount of unburied bodies lying about and the disease that would spread, and the scramble for whatever little uncontaminated food that remained. The absence of medicines would make a Doctor about as useful as the next nearest survivor. Not to mention the total breakdown of society, and Law and Order as we know it.

It was frightening growing up in the 80s, watching Reagan and Chernenko facing each other off on the six o clock news every night.

Edit:

Although, the Not the Nine O Clock News crew were always making light of the situation :)

Remember this?

Does anyone know where you can watch the whole thing?

Edz87 wrote: »
    Remember this?

Does anyone know where you can watch the whole thing?

I had a look around, but can't find it anywhere on the web.
    I would love to see that again myself. I missed the first half of the first episode when it was aired as well :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I prefer this version :D

and with a little muscular pressure.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Remember iodine tablets?

How come I remember all households receiving iodine in the 1990s?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Read a book called The Dead Hand. True story of the Cold War.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

We should be grateful that those adverts were never broadcast. They would have frightened the hell out of a lot of people.

Advertisement