Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying house - engineers report query

Options
  • 30-01-2012 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hiya I'm a FTB so bear with me!

Is it possible/reasonable to make an offer in principle on a house based on an engineer deeming the property structurally sound?

Or

Should we wait to get the engineer in first before we make the offer???

Thanks folks

(cannot wait to just move in-all these technicalities driving me mad!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

asomeday wrote: »
    With this attitude, you will end up spending 20% too much. Your children will go hungry because of this. :)

Potentially, make an off subject to (a) mortgage (b) survey (c) contract. Make sure you have a copy of the BER cert. Just because a building is structurally sound doesn't make it a good buy - what you really need is a building surveyor, not an engineer.

Go talk to your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭asomeday

Victor wrote: »
    With this attitude, you will end up spending 20% too much. Your children will go hungry because of this. :)

Potentially, make an off subject to (a) mortgage (b) survey (c) contract. Make sure you have a copy of the BER cert. Just because a building is structurally sound doesn't make it a good buy - what you really need is a building surveyor, not an engineer.

Go talk to your solicitor.

Definitely not spending 20% extra! Thanks for feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Question: if you haven't sent in a building surveyor, how would you know? The building surveyor could say that X could cost you Y, which could well be 20% of the cost of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is normal in Ireland to make the offer prior to the survey. If you find anything that is a surprise you then revisit you offer. Depending on the market you may be able to renegosiate.

When the market was forever going up it was not unusual for the person to say the price is the same no matter what is found.

In this market you should be able to get monety off if there is a big issue. ANy house older than 15 years will probably have the same general details like, rewire, replumb, insulate etc...

If it says something like the roof needs replacing that is when you ask for a reduction.

I got a survey done on a house and found the roof was shot and part of the building was actually on the neighbours land. They refused to reduce the price. Now they would certainly have reduced.

the_syco wrote: »
    Question: if you haven't sent in a building surveyor, how would you know? The building surveyor could say that X could cost you Y, which could well be 20% of the cost of the house.

Because at 70k of an asking price it's not possible we're paying 14k over the odds...but yes I see what you're saying and will obviously get a survey done but was just unsure whether we could put a clause in with the offer-don't want to waste surveyors time & our money if our offers are going to be outright refused!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do not put the offer in writing. Keep it strictly verbal, but get a receipt for any deposit paid, making sure that it is refundable. The deposit should not exceed a few thousand euros until the contracts are signed.

My point about the 20% was your apparent zealousness, not necessarily the condition of the house, but that could be important also.

Oh I know what you mean about my enthusiasm but that doesn't show to EA ... I'm purely business when I need to be-ruthless buyer!

Advertisement