Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you went home do you reckon you would be right?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Super is a good way to get a deposit for a house when you get back after the 35% tax from it.

I would not take this money out from its original purpose. Its your pension at the end of the day and afaik transferable to pension funds based in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Didnt know that, i will have to see what way everything is when i get back shouldnt be for for at least a few more years anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

The Aussie wrote: »
    Im not sure its as bad as that, in Cork last year i know a good few blokes across all trades who got a full years work and others who were working between 8 and 10 months of the year then spent the other time claiming and doing Foxers, i worked the full 12 months without a holiday.

I've heard stories of lads going home and getting work..I've also heard how much they are earning. For me it was a lifestyle choice to come over here before the s$%t hit the fan. I work in the mines over here so it would take alot of foxers to make the same money in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

aido79 wrote: »
    Let me guess...you work in IT?. Most of the people saying that they would get work at home seem to work in IT. I'm an electrician and have more or less accepted the fact that I'll never live in Ireland again even if I wanted to. Anyone in the construction industry would really struggle to make a go of it in Ireland for the next few years at least.

Yeah kind of IT.. telecoms actually. Telecoms is booming in Aus but they never wanted to listen to me because I was on the WHV and had no 'local experience'. I was really unlucky as I had a $450 per day role sorted in Sydney but the project got cancelled at the last minute!! Not to worry though, I got sorted in the end, just happened to be back home in (freezing) Ireland.

In saying that one thing I missed whilst being in Aus was the proximity to other countries/cultures, and that's one thing that I'm going to take advantage of now that I'm home..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What are is it easy to get a job in in IT these days?

Actually, what are the different types of work in IT? I've only heard of computer programming and networks. What else is there?

Sorry if it's a little off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

I found a lot of IT in Oz were looking for a minimum of 2 years experience and in a lot of cases residency.
    If your on a working holiday visa with about 2 years experience it will take a min of 6 months to even learn your job and then your gone, not very appealing for a company.

Theres work in all areas but experience and visa status play the bigger role i found

seek.com.au

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Yeh it would be easy enough to get work as some sort of restaurant/hotel supervisor back in Ireland. Maybe even an assistance or managers role if I was lucky. International experience goes a long way - especially in hospitality.

But I wouldn't be on near the money I'm on now so I think I'll stay put put for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I found a lot of IT in Oz were looking for a minimum of 2 years experience and in a lot of cases residency.
    If your on a working holiday visa with about 2 years experience it will take a min of 6 months to even learn your job and then your gone, not very appealing for a company.

Theres work in all areas but experience and visa status play the bigger role i found

seek.com.au
    that's what agencis are for. Go through the likes of Hays, et. al., and as a temporary contractor, you're only needed for 6 months or less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

tower08 wrote: »
    ya thats one thing me and my friends have realised after a few months here, such an effort to travel anywhere here for a weekend away, huge distances to travel and nothing new when you get there compared to at home where a two hour flight could bring you anywhere in europe to a completely different culture!

Wouldn’t 100% agree with the “nothing new” part of this statement. Culturally, yes, everything is pretty similar, but in terms of landscape this country couldn’t be ore varied. Head to the West Coast and travel up along the coast to Shark Bay, Coral Bay. Head through the Gibb River Road, Bungle Bungles, Kakadu, the Outback, Uluru. If you think all of that is the same as The Great Ocean Road, Tasmania, or the East Coast then you need your head examined.:D

I think his point is that you get a varied and different type of landscapes/cultures all within relatively close distance. This cannot be said of OZ. Sure WA is different from Tasmania but its fecking days away if you travel by car/ferry. Go to europe, holland is different to belgium and france and germany and denmark and the UK. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

jank wrote: »
    I think his point is that you get a varied and different type of landscapes/cultures all within relatively close distance. This cannot be said of OZ. Sure WA is different from Tasmania but its fecking days away if you travel by car/ferry. Go to europe, holland is different to belgium and france and germany and denmark and the UK. etc.

The way I look at it is that for landscape, wilderness and wildlife this country is one of the best places to travel in. The isolated beaches in WA are up there with what I have seen in Hawai’i and Brazil.

On the otherhand, for history, culture and architecture, this country hasn’t got a lot going on. Sure there is lots of Aboriginal culture and history, and you get a taste of this in Kakadu with the anchient rock art, but for the most part we have no access to experiencing these cultures and knowing about their history, and I don’t blame them for being so secretive, given what has been done to them over the last 200 years! Outside of this though, the architecture and history isn’t up to much. A cathedral that would make it onto a list of “Perth attractions” would be about as attractive as somebody’s house in Ireland, and probably not as old as the house where my old man grew up!!

I suppose you cant have it every way. Europe doesn’t come close to Australia in terms of amazing wildlife, and you will never get that incredible wilderness in Europe that the Outback has to offer, while in other areas Europe comes out on top.

I wouldn’t say no to Ryanair setting up down here though! Flight prices are stupidly expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I have seen a few posts lately especially in AH about lack of culture in Australia, and it got me thinking.... really who gives a shit?

I like going to the beach, 4WD, boating, bushwalking, real camping & fishing (none of this softcock crap you back home). Personally I like doing outdoor stuff myself and Australia is definitely the place to do it, I wouldn't really be that interested in watching other people weave baskets or painting their faces and praying to Krishna.

Fair enough some people get a hardon from learning some naff language, looking at old buildings and trying 3000 different types of pasta. Europe is great for all that crap but for some people its hard to beat the feel of sand between your toes and getting out into wilderness.... and I wouldn't be alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I moved back in September and the number of job offers I had was more than ever.

There's a few reasons for this, firstly I'm in IT with 14 years experience, plus the field within IT that I'm in is in high demand at the moment.

In 2009 I was looking for work here and it was slim pickings. In a year from now it could be the same again.

From what I've noticed, anyone with a good few years of good work experience will have a far better chance of landing something than a university leaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I have seen a few posts lately especially in AH about lack of culture in Australia, and it got me thinking.... really who gives a shit?

I like going to the beach, 4WD, boating, bushwalking, real camping & fishing (none of this softcock crap you back home). Personally I like doing outdoor stuff myself and Australia is definitely the place to do it, I wouldn't really be that interested in watching other people weave baskets or painting their faces and praying to Krishna.

Fair enough some people get a hardon from learning some naff language, looking at old buildings and trying 3000 different types of pasta. Europe is great for all that crap but for some people its hard to beat the feel of sand between your toes and getting out into wilderness.... and I wouldn't be alone.

I think the post above yours pretty much sums it up really.

I think it's a little bit foolish to think that because Australia is one of the best places in the world to do all the outdoor stuff (and it is) that you can only walk around art galleries and drink coffee outdoors in Europe. Think about the summer and winter activities that you can enjoy in the Alps, the great beaches of Greece, Italy, Malta etc.

Australia has tons to offer, some of it very unique, but there are also lots of unique things elsewhere. Like a lot of people, I enjoy going to new places and trying the local beer or food. I'm not some pretentious 'softcock' :D, I'm just an average guy who likes travelling around and enjoying doing and seeing things, be it diving in Australia, motorbiking in Vietnam, or drinking beer in Germany.

What people are trying to say is that a big bonus of living in Europe is that there are so many countries on your doorstep, with cheap flights it's easy to try new places and the food/beer/activities that goes along with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

6ix wrote: »
    I think the post above yours pretty much sums it up really.

I think it's a little bit foolish to think that because Australia is one of the best places in the world to do all the outdoor stuff (and it is) that you can only walk around art galleries and drink coffee outdoors in Europe. Think about the summer and winter activities that you can enjoy in the Alps, the great beaches of Greece, Italy, Malta etc.

Australia has tons to offer, some of it very unique, but there are also lots of unique things elsewhere. Like a lot of people, I enjoy going to new places and trying the local beer or food. I'm not some pretentious 'softcock' :D, I'm just an average guy who likes travelling around and enjoying doing and seeing things, be it diving in Australia, motorbiking in Vietnam, or drinking beer in Germany.

What people are trying to say is that a big bonus of living in Europe is that there are so many countries on your doorstep, with cheap flights it's easy to try new places and the food/beer/activities that goes along with them.

Fair enough its each to their own I suppose, I been around a fair bit of Europe and to be honest looking back I found it cold & pretty boring but then that's just me. I am actually going to Germany for 3 weeks training later this year but I will be making use of the weekends meeting up with family and friends either in Ireland or Holland or something. My wife keeps banging on about going to Paris but I would rather circumcise myself with a rusty nail than go there, its full of French and I f**king hate the French.... I still haven't forgotten Henry's handball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I love the outdoor culture but agree that cultual variety is harder to access. I'm going to save up for another big touring holiday in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

My wife keeps banging on about going to Paris but I would rather circumcise myself with a rusty nail than go there, its full of French and I f**king hate the French.... I still haven't forgotten Henry's handball.

Fact right there. Difficult bunch of people to work with..massive egos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Fair enough its each to their own I suppose, I been around a fair bit of Europe and to be honest looking back I found it cold & pretty boring but then that's just me.
    Yeah its freezing and boring in Saint Tropez, Dubrovnik, Porto and Florence alright.

Screws the fountains of Rome and the Louvre, lets have a barbie on the beach and talk about how much we hate various races instead!

:D

P.S. I was talking to the French and they said they hate you too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

How did a thread about whether people would get work on returning to Ireland turn into this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

MOD okay I should have got this thread back on track sooner my bad. The topic is if you could get a job back in Ireland if you return. Somewhere along the line it turned into the old Aus Vs Europe thing.

All posts of that nature have been deleted. Some posters have been infracted or warned.

Anyone wants a Aus vs Europe living standards just start one up.

EDIT at a posters request some have been undeleted

• Advertisement

Each to their own. At the end of the day its about choice. Australia has a great outdoor culture. New Zealand the same but if you are looking for something else, then apart from the areas around the CBD of Melbourne or Sydney which has some great cafes, ethnic foods, art gallaries, museums and so on well I am not surprised some people find it bland. It depends on the person at the end of the day. Read recently that **** loads of brits went back to the UK in the past few years. Lots of reasons were given, lack of culture and blandness was mentioned alot.

Advertisement