Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to source custom decals?

Options
  • 30-01-2012 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya folks,
    Even tho this is more a car related query ;) I think this will be the best place to get the info I need.
    I recently installed cruise control into my car and now I need to find a way to label the 4 buttons I've installed on my steering stalk(Converted radio control)
    So as if anyone else uses my car they'll have some idea of how the fecking thing works ;)
    Basically I'm looking to find somewhere/one who can print me a decal set for it?
    i.e, labels for Cruise Control, on/off, Spd -, Spd + and recall, then I can get them on the stalk and lacquer over them :)
    So folks, any suggestions you may have will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

You can print your own decals onto blank decal sheets using an inkjet or laser printer. Don't know how well they turn out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Tzetze wrote: »
    You can print your own decals onto blank decal sheets using an inkjet or laser printer. Don't know how well they turn out though.

Not a great option for me as I need the print in white and any time I've tried those sheets, it just left the lettering as uninked on a black background(which looks white on the backing paper) but is useless when installing on a black part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

banie01 wrote: »
    Not a great option for me as I need the print in white and any time I've tried those sheets, it just left the lettering as uninked on a black background(which looks white on the backing paper) but is useless when installing on a black part.

I got a Testors brand decal kit (~€13) from the model shop on Hawkins St in Dublin. The kit has two types of decal you can print onto, one with a clear backing and one with a white backing. The one with the white backing would do the job for you.

You will need an inkjet printer to print onto the decal paper with this kit. Laserjet does not work with it.

Also, top tip, print several copies of the decal you want to use onto the sheet. It would be difficult to use the sheet again, and having a couple of copies means you won't be too worried about making a mess of your first attempt.

The ones I made worked great, and a bit of varnish over the top made them hardwearing.

Advertisement