Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband

• 30-01-2012 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Guys, any recommendations for a broadband provider in the city.
    I haven't a clue about these things so any info would be welcome.

We currently have a dongle for access but it only works in some parts of the house and is driving us in sane and so we think broadband would be a better option.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Millie wrote: »

We currently have a dongle for access but it only works in some parts of the house and is driving us in sane and so we think broadband would be a better option.
    Thanks

Well I'm currently with Vodafone for phone and DSL and have had no real issues with them,(or Eircom who I was with for 8yrs previous).
    But as soon as my contract is up on the 7th March I'm jumping to UPC.
    For speed, bandwidth and price they seem pretty unbeatable at the moment if you live in a cabled area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

If you are in the City go with UPC.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

UPC were Chorus right????

So along with broadband we would have our TV channels through them???
    We're currently with Sky.

Also we have a couple of Sky Eye connections for different rooms so I guess they would become defunct if we went with UPC and this wouldn't be an option.

Any info on Celtic or Munster broadband providers????

UPC were Chorus right????

So along with broadband we would have our TV channels through them???
    We're currently with Sky.

Yes they were Chorus.
    Nope, they also do BB/Phone only bundles too so you can stick with sky for TV, and as an example 50mb BB and 500gb cap with phone for 45.50 won't be beaten ;)
    And they over 100mb for 5 a month extra.
    I'm currently paying 48 a month for @ 6mb with a 120gb cap with VF.
    But come March I'm a UPC customer ;) and Sky for TV ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

You can keep your tv with Sky and just order the broadband but there is a standalone charge of €7.88 p/m extra if you don't sign up for the tv or phone too. Still though, the bb speed is well worth it :D

I is even more confused now....I'm a pure techno phobe :)

So with UPC I'd have to go with a phone....was again hoping this wouldn't be an option....would you guys use the landline much??
    Also it seems quite expensive at 40 odd euro on top of the Sky monthly bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

So with UPC I'd have to go with a phone....was again hoping this wouldn't be an option....would you guys use the landline much??

You don't need a phone for UPC unlike eircom/vodafone.
    If you switched over to UPC for your tv as well you'd save even more.
    UPC are miles ahead of Eircom in broadband infrastructure, better speeds, better download limits by far.
    Do not mistake eircom's crappy product as a competitor to UPC's products.
    I'm on eircom as I live out in the country but if UPC came tomorrow I'd be switching over to them today.

Depending on what speeds you want 20meg broad is €25 a month and upwards for the faster speeds.
    To put it into perspective...I'm on eircom 7meg and paying €68 a month as I'm forced to get a phone to get broadband.

Unless you plan to download the entire internet overnight ;) 20meg is overkill for 99% of people.

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/twenty/

With any DSL provider you will be paying Line rental on top of your BB.
    With UPC(as they have their own network/cabling) you can go BB only for I think @25 a month with no further line rental fees although as mrpostman said there is a standalone charge if you only take 1 service.

Maybe if you outline what speed and usage you have you might get a better suggestion?
    But to be honest if you are in a cabled area UPC are the way to go.
    Also take a look at www.callcosts.ie to compare priceplans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

UPC - no question ..... ( just hope you don't have to call them for tech support .... :) - bit tiresome ... )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Blazer wrote: »
    Y
    To put it into perspective...I'm on eircom 7meg and paying €68 a month as I'm forced to get a phone to get broadband.

You should take a look at Vodafone's DSL prices ... same package is €45 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

If you're not looking for gaming or serious downloading then you could try the meteor hotspot device. Works off their midband/broadband service and it pushes out wifi round the house. You can connect up to 5 devices to it.
    It's basically a dongle that sends out wifi. I have it set up in my house where incoming signal is strongest. It's pretty reliable.
    AFAIK there is a 7 day "trial" period. If you don't like it then you send it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

If you're not looking for gaming or serious downloading then you could try the meteor hotspot device. Works off their midband/broadband service and it pushes out wifi round the house. You can connect up to 5 devices to it.
    It's basically a dongle that sends out wifi. I have it set up in my house where incoming signal is strongest. It's pretty reliable.
    AFAIK there is a 7 day "trial" period. If you don't like it then you send it back.

God...you definitely don't want to go down this route...3g is a joke in this country really.
    Fair enough the cities are decent but who in their right would pick this over UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Blazer wrote: »
    God...you definitely don't want to go down this route...3g is a joke in this country really.
    Fair enough the cities are decent but who in their right would pick this over UPC?

One reason would be that UPC may not have a service in your area.
    It only covers half of my estate,the half I don't live in, which is on the childers road. From speaking to them they won't be covering it anytime soon either.

It also depends on what you want really. I get average speeds of 5-6mbs down and 1-2mbs up. Which is plenty for what I use it for. Its also pretty mobile too. I can take it with us when we head to the seaside for a few weeks during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Thanks

yep, as another poster suggested- get a "mi-fi" device, which is basically the same as a dongle, only it has wireless capability, so you don't have to have it plugged into the laptop.

because you don't have to plug it into the laptop, it also allows you to leave the device in an area in the house where you can pick up the best mobile signal (usually place the device on a window sill).

so, if the mi-fi device is in the kitchen, you can be in the living room on your laptop, someone else can be in the dining room, on their laptop, and ye can both be conneted at the same time.

your problem isnt how you get broadband INTO the house, your problem is how you get broadband AROUND the house. a mi-fi device will easily solve that problem, and they are available from all the mobile broadband providers.

just walk into your providers shop and ask for a mi-fi device so you can connect to your broadband wirelessly around the house, they'll know what you're talking about... :)

Advertisement