Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The MTS continues:help me stock a 56l sub-tropical

Options
  • 30-01-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭

Picking up new tanks on adverts is becoming a bit bit of an expensive habit. I'm picking up a 15 gallon 24x12x12 this week.

Trying to do something a little different from my other tanks (tetras, guppies, clown loach, dwarf gourami, bristlenose pleco in community tank 1), (common goldfish), (black pearl ranchu).

What might make this one a little different is the starting point: 6 white cloud mountain minnows, beautiful little guys that prefer cooler water so can't really mix them with anything that require temps above 22 degrees.

So, temperature range is 16 - 22°C.

Thinking of maybe some Celestial Pearl Danio's as tankmates? Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

how many tanks do you have now? Thinking of cichlids yet? ;)

Id take your biggest tank and change that to cichlids and move your community fish into the smaller one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

lol, my biggest tank is Nim's home and Clown loach would not do well in a 15 gallon tank!

This will be tank no. 4, though I also have a 15l emergency tank for medicating and have an 8 gallon tank I'm rather unsure what to do with (thinking possibly a few guppies).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

How about some rainbow dace. Lovely fish.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=40

Lovely looking fish but from that link they'd need a much larger tank...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

I'd have no problem keeping them in a 54l tank tbh. Practical Fishkeeping ten to err on the side of caution with their tank size recommendations so as not to upset the more contrary readers.

• Advertisement

Hmm, got the tank last night and have it cycling at the moment. I'm 99% sure it's a Juwel Rekord 60 which has a supposed capacity of approx 56 litres. With substrate, filter and heater in it, it appears to only hold 45l? I know you lose some capacity to substrate etc. but 9l seems a little excessive?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I have that tank, mine holds about 49 litres with substrate, plants, rock, filter & heater.

It could be that I miscounted the bottles I filled it with (5l water bottles), though now that I think about it, it came with a hell of a lot of substrate... I'd say it's a good inch and a bit might reduce it a little...

And since I've yet to stock it, what do you have in yours? ;)

I've got it planted and stocked with a pair of Apisto's, Viejita to be precise. Then I've got some Kubotai Rasboras in there too that give the Apistos some comfort.

I always wanted it to be an Apisto species tank so I am very happy with it, I toyed with the idea of multiple females but I'm glad now that I didn't, space is too tight and I'd image the battles would have been epic. My male likes to chase my female pretty intensely as it is.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    It could be that I miscounted the bottles I filled it with (5l water bottles), though now that I think about it, it came with a hell of a lot of substrate... I'd say it's a good inch and a bit might reduce it a little...

I could be slightly off too, I use two 1 litre jugs to do water changes and filled it with them too. It was quite a while ago that I first filled it but 50% water changes are 24 jugs right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

I have that particular tank too.

With compost/sand substrate/ornaments etc I reckon its about the 50l mark.

I've mine stocked with 6 danios (3 zebra, 3 leopard), 6 cardinal tetra, 3 otto, 1 apple snail and 3 cherry shrimp.

I find its fairly easy to maintain and never had any disasters with water quality etc. Have it about 18 months now and all are healthy and happy in it.

Have been thinking about getting a pair of these guys to add to it.

Advertisement