Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos

• 30-01-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question.

Why is it everytime Argos release a new magazine the prices on items shoot up by 2 or 3 euro's??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Just a quick question.

Why is it everytime Argos release a new magazine the prices on items shoot up by 2 or 3 euro's??

I guess its because they want to advertise the new price in the Catalog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

That's not the question I asked, I'm asking why the price increase? Some items have shot up in price by as much as 7 euro's in the past year, and sometimes they will reduce the item to its old price and say its on sale :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That's not the question I asked, I'm asking why the price increase? Some items have shot up in price by as much as 7 euro's in the past year, and sometimes they will reduce the item to its old price and say its on sale :confused:

Inflation maybe?

There's a 6 month gap between editions so prices going up in the meantime wouldn't surprise me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Marketing - shiny new catalogue, shiny new products. The exact same product but this time it is re-branded. I don't keep a close eye on the Argos catalogue but in fairness I have not noticed an increase of that magnitude on every item. What kind of things are getting the higher price tags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Don't forget the 2% VAT increase as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Is somebody seriously asking why does the price of some goods increase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Dodge wrote: »
    Is somebody seriously asking why does the price of some goods increase?

Ah sure just lets sit back and let prices increase while were getting cut left right and centre:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's probably due to the Euro taking a good hammering in recent weeks as compared to Sterling, and also Argos trying to cut their losses by shoving a bit more on top.

The pricing problem's easily solved by not buying anything from them unless you're completely and utterly desperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Ah sure just lets sit back and let prices increase while were getting cut left right and centre:rolleyes:

Don't use Argos then. Only way to 'protest' at anything you find a rip off, is to not use that company...

There's certainly increased costs on fuel, so there's extra transport costs. 2% VAT increase. As above, maybe its a currency issue. Have the prices increased in the UK too?

What items are going "up by 2 or 3 euro's"? Were they a tenner, or €50 6 months ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

While I'm usually first to defend the retailer, I'm no fan of Argos. Their products are always at the higher end RRP so when they reduce them it looks like a fantastic bargain. They've always employed this marketing tactic and have a 'reductions' catalogue insert all year round.

But in fairness most retailers will increases slightly with the VAT increase/supplier costs/transport costs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

If people are dumb enough to shop in argos then they deserve the price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kdaly100

I was in Mahon on Saturday looking at a Sony Car stereo in Halfords and as Argos was right next door I went in and checked the price on the identical model in their catalog. 1 Euro cheaper.

Interesting (perhaps useless) fact ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Argos are overpriced for 95% of the goods in the catalog. Your local INDEPENDENT retailer will beat them hands down on nearly everything listed.

Out of all the UK retailers here, they are probably the most overpriced for the market - but because they have about 100 items (out of 3000+) on a promotion, suckers think they're cheap for everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just a quick question.

Some items go down, but you probably only notice the ones going up. Its like people moaning about the price of beer in pubs while failing to acknowledge or celebrate the fact you can get a bottle of say heineken/bud etc is usually easily got for under a euro now when I remember ~20 years ago it was about €1.40-1.50 (£1.10-1/19) as standard.

Nowadays argos more and more have secondary catalogues, with offers. So they are doing the same as many other retailers, having artificially high 'normal' prices for a while so their 'sale' appears better.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jameswburke

Reserved 2 items. Went to collect... Told that one item not available (in any store in Ireland) as the new catalgue is due out. Have emailed HQ in the UK. What a waste of a 24 mile round trip. Why is everything 10 times harder to do in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Here's something you need to watch with argos. current item on their website.

"Save Over €2.00
    now €16.89
    was €19.49

then down the bottom
    * Please note item 4234700 has previously been on sale at €14.59."

So its really an increase of 2.30, almost 16%

Their increases cant be explained by higher vat.
    Or increased fuel charges - they ship thousands of items on a truck.

Pity the irish consumer association is such a toothless bunch and more worried about keeping retailers happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No one is forcing you to buy something in Argos if you think its over-priced.
    Argos only sells luxury items.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

GreeBo wrote: »

He never said he was being forced to buy something in argos, that wasnt his point.
    Argos sell luxury items?? Thats a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Do they, now? There was a time before Ikea when we pennyless new home buyers had to get 'furnitures' at Argos because they were cheap enough. They were also crap enough. I bought some bookcases which shelves would bend when you put over 3 books on them. I also bought a set of pans that were far from luxury. I have no more money now, but other shops are now offering much better value for your money.

Although Argos tend to be quite competitive at Christmas time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No, they sell ordinary items at luxury prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I suspect their main market is to people who don't have a credit card and/or don't know how to use the internet.

The reserve and pickup feature is very good, I use it any time I'm buying from them. The guarantee that the item is in stock is very useful, hence I can't understand post #16 above. They even send you a reminder the day after you reserve, just in case you forgot. The best part of it is that if you change your mind you can do nothing and there's no implications, they just cancel the order and you don't hear another word about it.

But I've never been offered an extended warranty on a set of heads for an electric toothbrush before I bought them from Argos LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

If people are dumb enough to shop in argos then they deserve the price increase.
    maxer68 wrote: »
    Argos are overpriced for 95% of the goods in the catalog. Your local INDEPENDENT retailer will beat them hands down on nearly everything listed.

Out of all the UK retailers here, they are probably the most overpriced for the market - but because they have about 100 items (out of 3000+) on a promotion, suckers think they're cheap for everything

Dont agree with either of those, I find they have competitive prices on some things, especially when they seem to be offloading stuff, plus their returns policy is good. I dont shop there often but I have gotten some good bargains on products where I compared the prices to elsewhere not just previous prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭stevek93

Quick example bought set of speakers from pixmania for the PC priced at €65 including delivery last year. Seen the same set in Argos following week priced at €99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

stevek93 wrote: »
    Quick example bought set of speakers from pixmania for the PC priced at €65 including delivery last year. Seen the same set in Argos following week priced at €99.
    For an item like that I would expect about that same difference with any bricks & mortar store Vs an online one.

Were these speakers on sale/discounted on pixmania at the time? if they came with an electrical plug was it an EU 2 pin one? the likes of komplett will send out EU products with a convertor plug. While if sold here stuff will have the proper UK/Irish plug, these are often a lot more expensive to get from the manufacturer, so you must compare like with like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

rubadub wrote: »
    For an item like that I would expect about that same difference with any bricks & mortar store Vs an online one.

Were these speakers on sale/discounted on pixmania at the time? if they came with an electrical plug was it an EU 2 pin one? the likes of komplett will send out EU products with a convertor plug. While if sold here stuff will have the proper UK/Irish plug, these are often a lot more expensive to get from the manufacturer, so you must compare like with like.

Nah, most of them come with something similar to this:
    TLEC13AB.JPG

I know this because I took a bunch of them off Items I bought in Ireland when I moved to Holland ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

At any given time only a small percentage of goods sold in Argos and other such catalogue discount shops are actually priced at the normal selling price but the normal price is usually sold as a special price or heavily discounted, Half Price or 66% off etc. The rest of the goods are priced well above the normal high street prices.

If you want a bargain with good customer care you should steer clear of Argos, Currys, Homebase, PC World and all the other English chain store electrical and homewares stores.

Check out your local shops and shop around for the best value.

stevek93 wrote: »

Were these speakers on sale/discounted on pixmania at the time? if they came with an electrical plug was it an EU 2 pin one? the likes of komplett will send out EU products with a convertor plug. While if sold here stuff will have the proper UK/Irish plug, these are often a lots more expensive to get from the manufacturer, so you must compare like with like.

Argos are solely losing business because of this. The speakers weren't on sale or discount at the time and also came with one of them plugs in the post above me.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    At any given time only a small percentage of goods sold in Argos and other such catalogue discount shops are actually priced at the normal selling price but the normal price is usually sold as a special price or heavily discounted, Half Price or 66% off etc. The rest of the goods are priced well above the normal high street prices.

If you want a bargain with good customer care you should steer clear of Argos, Currys, Homebase, PC World and all the other English chain store electrical and homewares stores.

Check out your local shops and shop around for the best value.

True I can't see myself doing this though and its sad when you think about it haven't bought anything electronic that wasn't online in over 4 years now solely cause they are cheaper most of the time I can't afford them in the local shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jonnybangbang

If you find Argos too expensive. ( or any retail store) go somewhere else where its cheaper. Nobody is holding gun to your head to shop there.

where you can get a great deal in Argos is when there is an item that is no longer in the catalogue ( item was in last catalogue but is not in the new one. ) and they sell them off at massive discount, to get them out of stock. I got a nice TV this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Some items go down, but you probably only notice the ones going up. Its like people moaning about the price of beer in pubs while failing to acknowledge or celebrate the fact you can get a bottle of say heineken/bud etc is usually easily got for under a euro now when I remember ~20 years ago it was about €1.40-1.50 (£1.10-1/19) as standard.

Nowadays argos more and more have secondary catalogues, with offers. So they are doing the same as many other retailers, having artificially high 'normal' prices for a while so their 'sale' appears better.

Not wishing to go off topic here or anything, but where do you find bottles of Heineken or Budweiser for under a euro?? I need to find this place!

Advertisement