Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nervous about ordering an Eircom product.

Options
  • 30-01-2012 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

NGB now available in my area.

Do not have a line .. disconnected 3 years ago.

Eircom tell me 24MBs NGB is available on my exchange and I can order it.

I will accept anything above or equal to 12MBs and I would want to cancel owing no future costs should the speed be less.

If it turns out that Eircom can only deliver less than this minimum 12MBs speed AT ANY POINT am I still bound to one year of line rental and or bb?

I'm afraid that my line will be flaky at 12MBs but will work intermittently until months later Eircom tell me it will only take a lesser speed but I'm bound by contract.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

celtic_oz wrote: »
    NGB now available in my area.

Do not have a line .. disconnected 3 years ago.

Eircom tell me 24MBs NGB is available on my exchange and I can order it.

I will accept anything above or equal to 12MBs and I would want to cancel owing no future costs should the speed be less.

If it turns out that Eircom can only deliver less than this minimum 12MBs speed AT ANY POINT am I still bound to one year of line rental and or bb?

I'm afraid that my line will be flaky at 12MBs but will work intermittently until months later Eircom tell me it will only take a lesser speed but I'm bound by contract.

Hi celtic_oz
    Quick answer to this is yes, once you have agreed contract you will be bound to contract lenth. The plans offer speeds of up to either 8Mb or 24Mb, and specific speeds cannot be guaranteed, however you do have a 2 week grace period to cancel contract from time order is placed without incurring charges.
    If you PM me your previous telephone number or your exact address I can test to see for possible speed capacity to your premises.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Hi celtic_oz
    Quick answer to this is yes, once you have agreed contract you will be bound to contract lenth. The plans offer speeds of up to either 8Mb or 24Mb, and specific speeds cannot be guaranteed, however you do have a 2 week grace period to cancel contract from time order is placed without incurring charges.
    If you PM me your previous telephone number or your exact address I can test to see for possible speed capacity to your premises.
    Tony

Tony if the speed is ok ( above 12 MBs for a 24MBs product ) for 2 weeks and then it slows down (below 12Mbs ) subsequent to that what recourse do I have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Tony if the speed is ok ( above 12 MBs for a 24MBs product ) for 2 weeks and then it slows down (below 12Mbs ) subsequent to that what recourse do I have?

If there was a definite drop we would have this tested celtic_oz to determine the reason. The qualifying test that we do gives a reasonably accurate of the possible speed, if you get 12Mb with NGB broadband it should be consistant and if dropping there would have to be a reason. Sometimes these reasons can be internal wiring within customers premises, using wireless in an environment that is not suitable or with our own network. Where the drop is with our own network we should be able to resolve issue. In regards to contract conditions if you received 12Mb broadband speed and it dropped after 2 weeks you would be held to contract.
    Tony

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

In short, none.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 nobbe

I just posted a reply to my own thread , it may be interesting for you to read as well. I called Eircom and they told me , you have a 7 day (not 14) grace period from ordering.

The order to switch on process could take longer than the 7 days, so you may be bound by contract even before you download your first Kilobyte..

Be careful...

• Advertisement

however you do have a 2 week grace period to cancel contract from time order is placed without incurring charges.

Tony is this true ? How can it be from the time of order .. it could take a week to get the modem sent out never mind get the line set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Tony is this true ? How can it be from the time of order .. it could take a week to get the modem sent out never mind get the line set up.

Hi celtic_oz,

If you received a telephone number / order number or if you just have the address PM the details and I can look into the status of the order for you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi celtic_oz,

If you received a telephone number / order number or if you just have the address PM the details and I can look into the status of the order for you.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

I'm not ordering until I get clarification on my last question to Tony.

thanks

Mark,

I'm not ordering until I get clarification on my last question to Tony.

thanks

Hi celtic_oz,

There is a lead time of 10 working days for the transfer of phone and broadband service from another provider back to eircom.

The modem is not issued until the broadband service is fully back with eircom, so in some cases it can be a few extra days before the customer receives the modem.

Mark

Hi celtic_oz,

There is a lead time of 10 working days for the transfer of phone and broadband service from another provider back to eircom.

The modem is not issued until the broadband service is fully back with eircom, so in some cases it can be a few extra days before the customer receives the modem.

Mark

I'm not transferring from anyone. But I agree there would be lead times before everything is set up.

So why is the grace period from the time of ordering ? How can you evaluate during your grace time if the product hasn't even been delivered.

Can you confirm this to be true ?

• Advertisement

I'm not transferring from anyone. But I agree there would be lead times before everything is set up.

So why is the grace period from the time of ordering ? How can you evaluate during your grace time if the product hasn't even been delivered.

Can you confirm this to be true ?

Hi celtic_oz,

I understand where you are coming from, however the landline and broadband are seen as separate services and products by eircom.

I appreciate that a lot of customers only look to get the telephone line connected in order to try and get the broadband service. However eircom can never guarantee the broadband service or speed with any new telephone line installation.

So when a new line needs to be installed in order to provide service at an address, a the customer has to agree to the fact that

(A) The broadband / broadband speed is not guaranteed.

(B) There is a 12 month PSTN (landline contract for - regardless of the broadband availability/ speed).

The customer has a 10 working days from when the order is placed to cancel the phone line order. There is a lead time of 5 -10 working days for installation. Keep in mind that the obligation on eircoms part is to provide a working telephone line in which customers are able to make and receive calls as per eircom terms and conditions.

From your point of view, the change of mind time-frame may have elapsed by the time the line is connected and subsequently tested from the exchange regarding broadband capability.

Again that is because there are two separate services so if a customers line does not qualify for broadband or they are not happy with the speed available on the line. This is not a viable reason to cancel or negate the sepearte telephone line service / contract.

I hope that clarifies the situation for you.

Thanks, Mark

Why isn't this service covered by The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980.

Under this Act the purchaser of goods has a number of rights - the main ones are
    • Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price.
    • Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do
    • Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Why isn't this service covered by The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980.

Under this Act the purchaser of goods has a number of rights - the main ones are
    • Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price.
    • Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do
    • Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

They are as described. It's "Up to".
    So, for example, you could sign up for a 24mb package, and if your line is only capable of 1mb, you're still receiving what you're paying for.... "Up to 24mb"

What I would recommend to do is to check with neighbours (the closer the better) and see what kind of speeds they're getting. This can give you a rough estimate of what speeds to expect. However, once the line is connected, you could be bordering to a different exchange, the line could be looped etc... so don't rely on the estimate.

roast wrote: »
    They are as described. It's "Up to".
    So, for example, you could sign up for a 24mb package, and if your line is only capable of 1mb, you're still receiving what you're paying for.... "Up to 24mb"

Yes but it's not reasonable.

I've no intention of getting a phone line again, this thread alone has reminded me of the utter nonsense that Eircom come out with due to their privileged position as incumbent.

Order 24Mbs and if you dont cancel before the product is in then you are bound to a one year contract? Nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I've no intention of getting a phone line again, this thread alone has reminded me of the utter nonsense that Eircom come out with due to their privileged position as incumbent.

Order 24Mbs and if you dont cancel before the product is in then you are bound to a one year contract? Nonsense

Ethically, I agree, it's not acceptable. But, "Up To" is a very broad term. And anywhere between 0 and 24mb on an "Up To" connection, is indeed technically reasonable. Of course, the provider could show compassion in such a situation, but they're not obliged to. "Up To" is very vague, but it provides ISPs with a watertight contract.

The latter I agree with - it's sh!tty that any ISP won't let you cancel if you don't get anywhere near the speed you expect. Again, they could show compassion, and allow you to cancel.

Hi celtic_oz,

Although as stated above I can't give any guarantees, if you would like to PM me with your address I can give a better indication of the broadband service your neighbours and in your area.

Thanks, Mark

Hi celtic_oz,

Although as stated above I can't give any guarantees, if you would like to PM me with your address I can give a better indication of the broadband service your neighbours and in your area.

Thanks, Mark

Mark, If you told me my neighbours are getting 24Mbs and I get 1Mbs now or in the future can I cancel ? I want the ability to cancel, if you dont deliver.

No, so why on earth would I do any such thing?

Mark, If you told me my neighbours are getting 24Mbs and I get 1Mbs now or in the future can I cancel ? I want the ability to cancel, if you dont deliver.

No, so why on earth would I do any such thing?

Hi celtic_oz,

Fair enough. I appreciate your position but as I outlined before eircom can not give the absolute assurances you are looking for.

I just offered to give a better indication of broadband service in the area.

Thanks, Mark

Hi celtic_oz,

Fair enough. I appreciate your position but as I outlined before eircom can not give the absolute assurances you are looking for.

I just offered to give a better indication of broadband service in the area.

Thanks, Mark

Sigh .. What part of this do you not understand.

I don't want an absolute assurance I just want to be able to cancel.

Sigh .. What part of this do you not understand.

I don't want an absolute assurance I just want to be able to cancel.

Hi celtic_oz,

I am afraid that is not possible. The reason there is a 12 month contract is that eircom want a return for the cost of installing a new telephone line. A contract is standard practice with all telephone providers.

eircom have a promotion running that all connections are free of charge as an incentive for customers to connect a line / account.

However there is always a cost for equipment / work involved to connect a line.

As much as eircom eircom understand that the majority of customers only want the line for broadband and such may see the two as the one service. We advise although the phone line is needed to attempt to get broadband they are to separate services,

If eircom did not apply the contract there would be no return for installing a line / activating an account.

So each customer has a choice to order a line with the hopes of getting the broadband service. If they decide to go ahead they have to accept that there are no guarantees and they will enter in to a 12 month contract regardless of the broadband outcome.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

If eircom did not apply the contract there would be no return for installing a line / activating an account.

If this was a reasonable amount like €20 then no problem.

You want line rental for 12 months!

If this was a reasonable amount like €20 then no problem.

You want line rental for 12 months!

Hi celtic_oz,

I have advised of the situation in full. I anderstand why you are unhappy with requirements.

The choice is up to each individual customer.

Thanks, Mark

OP, just call a different phone company and ask to have a line installed, any company can put in an order in for this and afaik no one other than Eircom insist on a contract just for a line.

However, when it comes to broadband there are no guarantees, if you have BB installed and you're not happy with it then there will be a cancellation fee, assuming there are no technical faults etc.

OP, just call a different phone company and ask to have a line installed, any company can put in an order in for this and afaik no one other than Eircom insist on a contract just for a line.

However, when it comes to broadband there are no guarantees, if you have BB installed and you're not happy with it then there will be a cancellation fee, assuming there are no technical faults etc.

All the other companies Magnet, vodafone and digiweb tell you to ring Eircom if your line has been out of service more than 12 months.

I can get wireless, I was just willing to try the landline again now that the exchange I'm close to has been upgraded to NGB.

They can keep their line .. maybe Comreg will be replaced by something that actually does something for the consumer or Fine Gael keeps an election promise.. but I won't hold my breath.

Yeah it would be difficult to get them to put in an order for a line if you're not already with them, but that 12 month thing is BS, it's doesn't make a difference how long the line has been out of service, worth trying a couple of other companies though.

If you can get a good wireless service or the likes of UPC then you'd be mad to go the landline route, it's a complete scam imo.

Advertisement