Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert, whats the best way while working?

Options
  • 30-01-2012 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

i work approx 30 hours a week, am 32 and would like to do leaving cert i live in letterkenny area and hours are flexible. any advice weather i can do it at home at local college, night classes how much it would cost would be of great help, long term id like to study history.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

ovalfan1 wrote: »
    i work approx 30 hours a week, am 32 and would like to do leaving cert i live in letterkenny area and hours are flexible. any advice weather i can do it at home at local college, night classes how much it would cost would be of great help, long term id like to study history.:)

Check with the adult guidance service in Donegal. They should have info on all local Leaving cert options:

Donegal - Donegal Adult Learner Guidance Service

2nd Floor,
    McKendrick Place,
    Pearse Road,
    Letterkenny,
    Co Donegal Phone:074 9178088
    Email:adultguidance@donegalvec.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

As you are 32 doing the LC may not be very relevant to you. You may be better focusing on some p-time FETAC courses or online ones that better suits your interests. At 32 you do not need LC for college. evidence that you have the ability to finish a course is all they are looking for. If you want to improve your prospects in your workplace ask them for advice on what qualifications they think would benefit you.

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mona Olsen

I repeated 2 LC subjects last year to get min requirements for my application, biology & chemistry. In hindsight an access to science course might have been a better option, however I doubt there are many access to Arts courses in Donegal for you. To do the subjects I just registered as an external student, bought the books and studied myself. I registered in a local VEC college for experiments. I got A1's in both. It's perfectly doable to do History on its own yourself, if you have the interest you'll apply yourself. However you will have to do a project and get it signed off so I'd speak to your local VEC about that. I wouldn't bother with repeating the full LC if you're a mature student though. There are many more access routes. Best advise may actually be from the college you intend to ultimately. study in.

Advertisement