Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any place that does electrical soldering in Waterford?

Options
  • 30-01-2012 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anybody know a place that does electrical soldering in Waterford?

It's only something small I need done. The back of the eject button has come off my car cd player. Now the button wont work and I cant get the cd out.

It's quite a small area and there seems to 6 tiny connections that need to be re-soldered. I'd be afraid just to put a blob over all of them for fear of rendering it useless.

Anyone know of a place in town that does this?

Here's a pic...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Dick McNamara is an auto electrician down there by the gay bar Dignity,

Just down that road facing the bar where the river runs hes in there, nice chap,

Theres another auto electrician who i wouldnt go to up the road who wasnt exactly a people person, doesnt seem to need the work and didnt seem to want to do work, great salesman ill never go back due to the reception i got from him

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

No thats not it, its further down there, in the right direction though,

Theres a turn in there for the adult education there and hes also in there, you cannot miss it if you head down that road! its an alley that actually leads you out onto the other street.

Just a hint though, why dont you head down to LIDL today they have soldering Irons on special today and im sure you could do it, its not hard like, or you could go to Dick McNamara, prob cost you about 20 euro.

I was in the same position i had to get a job done from him, i ended up buyin a solder iron last time in Lidl and did the job myself, but he was very helpful and listened to what i had to say last time i dropped by.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Just coming back to this now.

Ah right I must of missed that place. :o

I went to about 6 or 7 places yesterday and they all told me I hadn't a hope of finding anyone with a soldering iron that small. I saw the one in lidl today alright but I won't do it my self for fear of messing it up.

Ill be in cork at the end of the week so ill try there.

Thanks anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Toner electronics, Morgan St I believe they do this sort of thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Typewriter wrote: »
    Hi, does anybody know a place that does electrical soldering in Waterford?

It's only something small I need done. The back of the eject button has come off my car cd player. Now the button wont work and I cant get the cd out.

It's quite a small area and there seems to 6 tiny connections that need to be re-soldered. I'd be afraid just to put a blob over all of them for fear of rendering it useless.

Anyone know of a place in town that does this?

Here's a pic...

That' surface mount: Any techs in the college should be able to help.
    You will need a flux pen
    0.5 mm Iron to 600 watt
    De soldering braid if things go tits up.
    I have to do a similar job the weekend on a USB connector on a head phone amp I will let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

KK4SAM wrote: »
    0.5 mm Iron to 600 watt
    600W? Do you understand what a 600W soldering iron would do to PCB tracks that thin?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Sorry 600 Deg

Advertisement