Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a Waterford newbie?

Options
  • 30-01-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I'm moving to Waterford on Monday and I'm looking for some info from the locals. I'm British, moved to New Ross in 2006 and stayed there for a couple of years before moving on to Enniscorthy & Gorey, then home to the UK. Left Ireland for England 18 months ago and I'm very happy to be going back next week!

Like I said, I used to live in New Ross so I visited Waterford a lot for shopping, cinema, nights out, etc. However, that was all very high street focused and I've never gone any farther than the cinema! So basically I know very little about Waterford and I wonder if you could give me info on:

1) Afterschool club. I don't drive (I have an awful phobia -- don't ask...) so it would have to be central. I can only find one called Little Explorers but they don't pick up from the school my son will be attending. Is there anything else available in the city? I want to avoid going the childminder route if possible.

2) Classes/groups/clubs for a 6-year-old boy. He's active and social and likes to always be doing *something* from learning to play drums to football to art, etc. Does anyone know what Waterford offers on a weekly basis for kids?

3) Classes/groups/clubs for adults. I'll be looking to meet people and I always like to get involved. I'm a fiction editor so my primary interest is books -- reading groups, writing groups, etc. I'm into movies & music as well. Also weight-loss clubs?

4) Best gym in the city centre? I only really need the bike, treadmill, Zumba classes...not bothered about swimming pools, saunas, weights, etc. Any suggestions? Good value for money?

5) Something like Playzone? I've Googled but I'm not coming up with much. Some help would be appreciated. :/

Also, what's the general opinion on the Grantstown Park area? A friend of ours owns his second house there and he's given it to us to rent on the cheap for a year or two while we build up our savings again (nightmare past couple of years since coming back to the UK) -- but we don't know Waterford at all so we took the house blindly and have no idea if it's considered a good area or if I'm likely to hear the wail of police sirens every three minutes like I do where we live now...

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

First of all welcome to Waterford.
    I think first of all Grantstown park is a nice area, it would be on the dunmore road and there is a bus service to town and local schools.
    Ballygunner school would be my choice if I lived in Grantstown park a bus collect kids from end of estate and drops to school and same on return home.
    there is/used be an afterschool place near ballygunner school and they used collect kids from this school for afterschool care.(not sure if this is still operating)

club/actvities for boy aged 6. There is a good cubs/scout hall in ballygunner village and this is popular with boys and girls and a good way to meet people.. Ballyguner school would be big into hurling and run a very good kids hurling club there. also if soccer /football is more his thing , bohs football club run a kids football academy every sat morning near waterpark rugby club, they train kids from 6 upwards.

There is weightwatcher meeting room in Ardkeen community hall (on the dunmore road) . There is also a very good local library in Ardkeen shopping complex and book clubs meet up there so this would be a good starting point for you to get involved in book clubs etc., Across the road from grantstown park estate is Woodlands hotel and they have a gym there and also run excerise classes there to.

Near Tesco on dunmore road is a playzone called 'city limits' it is a playcentre for small kids partys etc and also a bowling alley.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I made a similar move not so long ago, Turn the removal van around and go go go i tells ye!

bought a house now im stuck here! DOH!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

^^ God, if you can't say something helpful to the OP, why bother posting? :mad:

OP, welcome to Waterford. Grantstown Park is a nice spot - very settled, mainly families.

I don't know a lot about all the kids' stuff, but moans3536's post makes a lot of sense it would seem...

Main gyms in the city centre I can think of are Spirit and the Tower Hotel. However would a gym out near Grantstown Park not make more sense? You're right by the Woodlands Hotel there and they've a good gym.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 newtotown

moans -- Unfortunately that school is completely full so he can't get into it or attend any of the activities within it. However, the rest of your advice is extremely helpful so thank you! I really appreciate it and you've given me lots to look into.

spank -- We love it there! Haha. We're aware of the potential issues but we're in a good position at the moment so fingers crossed...

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    ^^ God, if you can't say something helpful to the OP, why bother posting? :mad:

OP, welcome to Waterford. Grantstown Park is a nice spot - very settled, mainly families.

I don't know a lot about all the kids' stuff, but moans3536's post makes a lot of sense it would seem...

Main gyms in the city centre I can think of are Spirit and the Tower Hotel. However would a gym out near Grantstown Park not make more sense? You're right by the Woodlands Hotel there and they've a good gym.

Best of luck!

Sounds like Woodlands is the best one to look at. Thanks! Also glad to hear Grantstown is considered an okay area to live! I was worried, if I'm honest. You never know.

newtotown wrote: »
    moans -- Unfortunately that school is completely full so he can't get into it or attend any of the activities within it. However, the rest of your advice is extremely helpful so thank you! I really appreciate it and you've given me lots to look into.

spank -- We love it there! Haha. We're aware of the potential issues but we're in a good position at the moment so fingers crossed...

I was told i had to have my child CHRISTENED CATHOLIC if i wanted to have a school place and if i didnt like it there was always educate toghther, that was from a governemnt organisation.

Wouldnt have had the child christened otherwise!

You're going to get that everywhere. No town or city is ever crime-free. Thank you for bringing it to my attention but it doesn't scare me away. I'll just remain cautious like I am wherever I live.

I was told i had to have my child CHRISTENED CATHOLIC if i wanted to have a school place and if i didnt like it there was always educate toghther, that was from a governemnt organisation.

My son -- child of atheists -- was given a place in a ns in Co. Wexford when we lived there last time...

My son -- child of atheists -- was given a place in a ns in Co. Wexford when we lived there last time...

Wow thats great, really. I have lived in a couple of different places, Dublin and in other European Cities, but ive found the small mindedness and small town mentality hard to deal with, and a its not what you know its who you know, Thats just my opinion and my experience of this place, If i hadnt bought a house i would have moved a couple of years ago, Also theres a them foreigners element creeping in, the recession noramlly brings this attitude along, I know im posting on a waterford board and Waterford people wont like this and im sorry if i offend, but thats just how i see it and my experience and i thought my story relates to someone moving here from outside,

Anyway i wish you all the best! and sorry if ive offended the natives!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

If you cant get a place for your child in ballygunner school, you should try.
    Newtown National school or also Waterpark National school , there would be a bus that would bring them in the direction of these schools or there is a path all the way and you could walk.

moans3536 wrote: »
    If you cant get a place for your child in ballygunner school, you should try.
    Newtown National school or also Waterpark National school , there would be a bus that would bring them in the direction of these schools or there is a path all the way and you could walk.

Yeah, I've tried there as well as it was they were the first schools recommended to us. Every school is full! It's been a nightmare, to be honest, and our last hope is the Educate Together school -- they said they might have a place and will let us know. :/

Wow thats great, really. I have lived in a couple of different places, Dublin and in other European Cities, but ive found the small mindedness and small town mentality hard to deal with, and a its not what you know its who you know, Thats just my opinion and my experience of this place, If i hadnt bought a house i would have moved a couple of years ago, Also theres a them foreigners element creeping in, the recession noramlly brings this attitude along, I know im posting on a waterford board and Waterford people wont like this and im sorry if i offend, but thats just how i see it and my experience and i thought my story relates to someone moving here from outside,

Anyway i wish you all the best! and sorry if ive offended the natives!

Where are you from originally? Can honestly say I never felt any of that in my 4-5 years in Ireland, and neither did my partner who is Italian. :/

Where are you from originally? Can honestly say I never felt any of that in my 4-5 years in Ireland, and neither did my partner who is Italian. :/

Id rather not say to be honest!

Had no problems living in Dublin, just here seems to very small minded or like a small town metality.
    Ive found it tough going, there are some nice people of course.

Had no problems living in Dublin, just here seems to very small minded or like a small town metality.

Fair enough. Hope things improve for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

That has to be the greatest piece of s***, mis-information
    EVER spouted on this site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Waterford people are generally open minded. There is a thriving arts/music/theatre scene, locals support businesses owned by foreigners, there are many different religions being practised in the city, and the city is open minded enough to have a gay bar in the main night-life area.

I don't think its the people of Waterford that are being small minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Welcome! The very first poster more or less covered everything. You might hear sirens but they will be ambulances not police as the hospital is just up the road. Have your tried Waterpark school. It's on the way into town but I think it has a bus service. Also there is a badminton club across the road in brasscock church. Everyone meets there on Wednesday evenings for games and the social thing as well. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    Welcome! The very first poster more or less covered everything. You might hear sirens but they will be ambulances not police as the hospital is just up the road. Have your tried Waterpark school. It's on the way into town but I think it has a bus service. Also there is a badminton club across the road in brasscock church. Everyone meets there on Wednesday evenings for games and the social thing as well. Best of luck.

What about St. Declans school? My sister sent her 2 boys there and she's living out the dunmore road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

What a load of codswallop. I and indeed many other posters on this forum went to school with people of all kinds of religions. Waterford, like any cities, is what you make of it and if you are going round with negative thinking you're going to see the worst of everything.

OP, both libraries in ardkeen and also the city centre have many reading nights and guest speakers and if you are into that kind of thing, they will certainly deliver. I'm not really into it myself but i've went to a few special nights before accompanying friends and they are very interesting.

Theatre Royal has great selection of shows and events every week and by the sounds of things you would really enjoy them. http://www.theatreroyal.ie/events

The tower hotel has great swimming pool and sauna facilities but its actual gym is quite small, so if thats not what you are into the woodlands would definitely be your best bet.

Grantstown park area is indeed a nice area and i think you have a great attitude coming into the place and i hope it all works out great for you

• Advertisement

That has to be the greatest piece of s***, mis-information
    EVER spouted on this site!

Thanks for helping me prove my point, calling me a liar about about having to go and have a child who was big enough to stand at the alter while water was splashed because we WERE ADVISED to have the child Christened if we wanted to get a place in a school.

Dont call me a liar about a process that i had to go through, i woulndt have had my child christened if i hadnt had been told that it would improve chances of a school place! Im not a practicing catholic nor is my partner we dont attend mass nor do we go for Christmas or any other associated occasion.

Thanks for helping me prove my point by the reaction you gave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 guv999

I agree. I have been here for 7 years and have never experienced any problems like that at all.
    :D

Thanks for helping me prove my point, calling me a liar about about having to go and have a child who was big enough to stand at the alter while water was splashed because we WERE ADVISED to have the child Christened if we wanted to get a place in a school.

Dont call me a liar about a process that i had to go through, i woulndt have had my child christened if i hadnt had been told that it would improve chances of a school place! Im not a practicing catholic nor is my partner we dont attend mass nor do we go for Christmas or any other associated occasion.

No he proved your full of sh!t.

Who the fvck gets their kid baptised in a religion they don't believe in without checking out the facts first.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

The issue mighn't be that you personally are a liar, but more the person that told you that, was either cluless, drastically mis-informed or just a Liar.

I have many friends in Waterford That are not of any religion. And their kids go to catholic schools. I have Family in another city in the country who are strongly atheist yet their Daughter goes to one of the more prominent catholic schools there. (they chose this over educate together on its educational merits) There was no issue as to what religion the Child was.
    So where ever the info came from its Bull. And you shouldnt be peddling it.

Sorry to hear your experience of Waterford hasn't been a good one so far. I hope things change for you in the future.

Remember only believe half of what you see and none of what you hear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

The issue mighn't be that you personally are a liar, but more the person that told you that, was either cluless, drastically mis-informed or just a Liar.

I have many friends in Waterford That are not of any religion. And their kids go to catholic schools. I have Family in another city in the country who are strongly atheist yet their Daughter goes to one of the more prominent catholic schools there. (they chose this over educate together on its educational merits) There was no issue as to what religion the Child was.
    So where ever the info came from its Bull. And you shouldnt be peddling it.

Sorry to hear your experience of Waterford hasn't been a good one so far. I hope things change for you in the future.

Remember only believe half of what you see and none of what you hear :D

This seems like a nice reply thanks!

This reply however kinda proves my point all Fxxkin and Blinding!

Who the fvck gets their kid baptised in a religion they don't believe in without checking out the facts first.

Im sure your one of the very nice people who live in Waterford.

Thanks for proving my point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I heard rumours of schools wanting kids baptised but that's supposedly going on all over the country.

You didn't actually get the child baptised did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Don't know what you expected coming here.. Ireland is 90% Catholic and our schools were run mostly by religious orders up until the last 10 years or so.. If I was moving to another Country say Germany I wouldn't expect Germany to bend over backwards to accommodate me in my religious beliefs and change the school system because I don't like it.

Sorry to disapoint you! but that's the way we are here in Ireland and if you don't like frankly Fcuk Off to were you came from..we don't need you coming here moaning we have enough of our own....

Christ sake like who the hell do you think you are?

Hey spank, there is a rumour going round that the country is turning Muslim next week, better get your kid converted :rolleyes:

Getting your kid baptised on account of a rumour has to be the most ridiculous thing I've heard of. What you mistake for small-mindedness is just the fact that Waterford people don't suffer fools gladly.

• Advertisement

Funfair wrote: »
    Don't know what you expected coming here.. Ireland is 90% Catholic and our schools were run mostly by religious orders up until the last 10 years or so.. If I was moving to another Country say Germany I wouldn't expect Germany to bend over backwards to accommodate me in my religious beliefs and change the school system because I don't like it.

Sorry to disapoint you! but that's the way we are here in Ireland and if you don't like frankly Fcuk Off to were you came from..we don't need you coming here moaning we have enough of our own....

Christ sake like who the hell do you think you are?

Another nice response, if someone dosent like it then go and f=ck off back to your own country! you really are helping me prove my point with answeres like that!
    And i didnt get my child baptised on a rumour i was told this, so was my partner! there werent any places we were asked what religon and the result was it would be easier for the child to be baptised catholic if you want a school place. My how my point is being proven they dont like whats being said so they start telling pepole to f,ck off and go back to where you came from? and to the other poster who started talking about Germany, dont tell me about a country ive lived in before among others in Europe, Germany teaches children in Turkish because theres so many Turks that come to Germany with children that they couldnt ignore them so they started teaching them in Turkish in German schools.

This is the attitude i was talking about its almost xenaphobic, and it will get worse with these rececession, A polish woman was nearly burnt at the stake the other day because she was interview for a news paper and it was completely taken out of context and she was nearly being man hunted to be thrown out of the country! you cant get the dole in ireland by quiting a job to obtain social welfare for a start!

Advertisement