Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky On-Demand (formerly Anytime) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

So the space taken up previously by Anytime is now free on the hard disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

€12.99 activation fee for self set-up. How is it a free service?

That really annoys me, been a customer for years at over €80 a month and they want this?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Woodie40

murpho999 wrote: »

That really annoys me, been a customer for years at over €80 a month and they want this?

It cost me nothing, I am using the Ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

murpho999 wrote: »

It is free. The €12.99 refers to a wireless set up. It's the cost of their wireless box. There is no set up charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    So the space taken up previously by Anytime is now free on the hard disc?

It seems like it. All the on demand downloads are downloaded on to your planner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Im clueless on this sort of thing but can i get this anytime+ without internet?
    Thanks

Woodie40 wrote: »
    It cost me nothing, I am using the Ethernet cable.
    adox wrote: »
    It is free. The €12.99 refers to a wireless set up. It's the cost of their wireless box. There is no set up charge.

Yes, sorry I just read it wrong!

Silly me!

Thanks

No: that's how it works,

Sort of like how a light bulb needs electricity (especially at night)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Thanks
    No you need broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

I'm gonna try order a wireless connector on the site again tomorrow, if it fails again i'm just gonna ring them and order one over the phone!! Hopefully i'll have full access to on demand by the middle of next week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Activating on demand won't extend my contract with Sky, right? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If you order the wireless box, does that have to sit with the Sky box, or near the router? (I have extra socket space near the router, but not near the TV)

If you activate OnDemand through the website, without taking the wireless box, can you go back and add the wireless box for €12.99 later?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

Thoie wrote: »
    If you order the wireless box, does that have to sit with the Sky box, or near the router? (I have extra socket space near the router, but not near the TV)

If you activate OnDemand through the website, without taking the wireless box, can you go back and add the wireless box for €12.99 later?

The wireless connector sits next to your sky box and picks up your wireless connection from there. I imagine you could activate it and order the box later without a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Its wonderful when it works but after using it tonight I found I have to pull the power from the box just to get it back to responding to the remote controls.

could be just my box but I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Keithl2156

Its a joke!

Here is a brief conversation i had regarding On Demand.

Me:Can i order a wireless connector please?

Rep:Sky anytime plus is not available in ROI

Me:It is it launched today.

Rep: *Went away for 5 minutes* came back to me saying yes it is available today

Me: Can I order one so ?

Rep: No, you must have Sky Boadband

Me:Sky Broadband is not in Ireland yet.

Rep: Im aware youll have to wait for it to come to get on demand,

Me:Why is it advertising on the sky ireland site to buy today then?

Rep: must be a fault, can i help you with anything else.

Sky would want to get that customer service sorted and have a News class every couple of days telling reps about new things about Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Swizzle Firma

It appears that on demand isn't working for anyone that is using 'multiroom'... going by the posts here by people who are having problems and my own experience.

Activated it via the website - nothing...

Rang them to get it activated... confirmed to be activated on the account...
    Was informed by the nice girl of the massive amounts of calls they have received with people having problems.

The box I want On Demand on is 'multiroom' however, and as I said it appears anyone else who is having problems is using a 'multiroom' setup.

In short, sky has ****ed up yet again. Personally I'll give them 24 hours before I tell them to shove it up their asses and switch to UPC.

They really are a useless overcharging company(in Ireland) and if you're lucky to be in a UPC area then there's always another option for you... would prefer to pay my €1200 a year to a company that isn't so incompetent at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

U can only get on demand with the sky + boxes not the standard multi boxes I had mine hooked up in 2 minutes using an Ethernet cable an working right away I can even change the channels using my iPad now

Standard 'multi boxes' ? I'm sure you mean Sky+ boxes and On Demand is only availible to people with Sky HD+ boxes.

All boxes in the house are Amstrad Sky HD+ boxes and are fully compatable with On Demand... yet any Sky HD+ box that is a 'multiroom' box is unable to recieve On Demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭JDxtra

In short, sky has ****ed up yet again. Personally I'll give them 24 hours before I tell them to shove it up their asses and switch to UPC.
    Over react much??!

This is a new service at no extra charge! Give it a chance. It worked perfect for me first time.

Oh, and good luck with UPC. Great for broadband, terrible for TV - but are improving. If you are wound up that easily you will fire the UPC box out your window within 24 hours in frustration.

I'm not over reacting.

Fact is

1) The UK have a larger amount of channels for cheaper - ITV 1 2 3 4 Channel 5, Channel 4 HD (not restricted), Film 4 HD etc
    And their monthly subscripton is cheaper than we are paying in the ROI without those channels

2) The UK has had access to 'On Demand' for about a year... included as part of their cheaper subscription - while the ROI has not.

Theres no over reacting - ROI customers are paying far more to sky and receiving far less.

So excuse me if I have little tolerence. Would have at least expected them to be able to provide On Demand to their ROI customers after it's actually released in the ROI.

UPC's quality isn't as good as a satalite feed, but its cheaper, you get more and bottom line.. it works.

• Advertisement

I'm not over reacting.

Fact is

1) The UK have a larger amount of channels for cheaper - ITV 1 2 3 4 Channel 5, Channel 4, Film 4 HD etc

This isn't Sky's fault. We're in Ireland, we do not have a god given right to receive UK terrestrial channels.... as much as we might think we do. Blame TV3 for the lack of ITV channels.

UPC's box is terrible, believe me, I've experienced it. Not to mention their extremely incompetent (and sometimes downright rude) "customer support."

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Surely you should be taking this up with Sky instead of venting your frustrations here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

The amount of films is fantastic! actually makes having the movie channels finally worth it. We watched City Island, Frozen River and Win WIN tonight. All three are defo worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

It's pretty awesome I love using the iPad messing around with it....silly question swizzle but are all your boxes hooked up to your broadband router an wired for sky +

I'm not venting my fustrations here... just stating fact.

I'm aware that the lack of ITV etc in the ROI isn't skys fault - I'm sure they would love to provide them to us - but it still doesn't explain why ROI customers are paying more for Sky Digital than the UK especially when we don't receive many UK terrestrial channels... aswell as 'On Demand'

As I said I'm well aware of the quality of UPC compared to sky.. but theres limits.

Sky not being able to provide the long awaited 'on demand' service to people in the ROI who happen to have more than one paid for HD+ box and subscription just adds to the rip off mentality sky have in regard to the ROI.

And a quick edit for Wils110 - yes, the boxes are all hooked up to the router - everything is fine.. compatable Sky HD+ boxes, all connected to the router, connected to service.

The problem is sky is only providing the On Demand service for the 'main box' - any other sky HD+ box thats part of the 'multiroom' subscription isn't able to receive it. All good if you only have one HD+ box... you have any more then it's not going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

It appears that on demand isn't working for anyone that is using 'multiroom'... going by the posts here by people who are having problems and my own experience.

Activated it via the website - nothing...

Rang them to get it activated... confirmed to be activated on the account...
    Was informed by the nice girl of the massive amounts of calls they have received with people having problems.

The box I want On Demand on is 'multiroom' however, and as I said it appears anyone else who is having problems is using a 'multiroom' setup.

They really are a useless overcharging company(in Ireland) and if you're lucky to be in a UPC area then there's always another option for you... would prefer to pay my €1200 a year to a company that isn't so incompetent at this stage.

That explains it then, what a total f##k up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Positive note its great to now have this option and plenty of movie content
    Negative they only have 1 season of boxsets would love if for example it had all seasons of mad men etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Richiec45

it does work and works good .
    you will not see any menu until you connect broadband the instantly the menus pop up
    somebody should do a walk through but this is what i did
    i used an old netopia router i had lying around and put it beside sky box with cable,worked perfect
    still have router upstairs (computer) but MUST be turned off to allow internet into sky downstairs when you are finished downloading it goes to your planner and when then router that is connected to the sky box is switched off the programmes are still there or paused from downloading till you switch the router back on. Saves 12.99 for the wireless thingy, if you have an old router.
    so to recap
    2 routers switch whichever 1 on that you want to use.sky router and computer router
    ***important you can only have internet coming in through 1 router at a time***

hope this makes sense

its gonna be my set up anyway
    movies in the skyshop are €2.99 & €4.49 i thought they were all gonna be free

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dickieh

Sky have done a great job on bringing what is mostly a British market to Ireland !
    Yes we have had to wait for certain programs and updates to our EPG. But all in all can we really complian.
    RTE make allot of money from sky but we still need a licence to receive RTE through sky or through a Saoirview tv/box
    and where are the benefits from that ?

Sky are and have being trying very hard to please the Irish market for what they get back compered to the uk we haven't been totally left out !
    Compered to all the other tv providers around the world sky B is ok if not great really
    Dont forget what we would have without them ?
    Soon we will have broadband from them and a possible package of tv/broadband/phone to compete with all others who are lets be honest worried.
    Eircom need the money, vodafone just want our money, and upc just do not care because they have Fibre Powered Broadband, so sky like it or lump it have a good role to play.
    It will be great to see who plays the best hand as broadband for the tv is the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I have the old EPG and in ITV player I can only see archive shows. Can anyone with the new EPG confirm that ITV player's catch up service works over here? (As ITV player is IP geolocked via the website).

I may have missed a ref to it in this thread....

Advertisement