Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky On-Demand (formerly Anytime) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

MBSnr wrote: »
    Can anyone with the new EPG confirm that ITV player's catch up service works over here?
    No. ITV catch-up service definitely not available here. HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Quick question guys, is this just like Sky Go but on the sky box and not on a laptop? Still a bit confused by it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭macker22

from wat i can see theres no i players on sky on demand and you have to download some content so its jus like netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

Just rang sky there and ordered my wireless connector for on demand. No confusion, she knew exactly what i was talking about and processed the order over the phone. Told her i was with upc and asked did i want to be contacted when Sky bb entered the country but i declined as i'm only with upc a few months.

Hopefully have the router in about 5 working days so i won't have this cable going across my landing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

How much of an internet cap would one hour of viewing use up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

lertsnim wrote: »

Don't really know to be honest. I'm pretty sure upc is unlimited though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Richiec45 wrote: »
    it does work and works good .
    you will not see any menu until you connect broadband the instantly the menus pop up
    somebody should do a walk through but this is what i did
    i used an old netopia router i had lying around and put it beside sky box with cable,worked perfect
    still have router upstairs (computer) but MUST be turned off to allow internet into sky downstairs when you are finished downloading it goes to your planner and when then router that is connected to the sky box is switched off the programmes are still there or paused from downloading till you switch the router back on. Saves 12.99 for the wireless thingy, if you have an old router.
    so to recap
    2 routers switch whichever 1 on that you want to use.sky router and computer router
    ***important you can only have internet coming in through 1 router at a time***

hope this makes sense

its gonna be my set up anyway
    movies in the skyshop are €2.99 & €4.49 i thought they were all gonna be free

If you have one router connected to the other you can disable DHCP on the second router and change the starting IP on it to say 192.168.1.100

Also turn off the wireless on the second router if there is any on it

Devices connected to the second router will then get IPs from the main router and you should be able to keep both on all the time

Edit: This is for a cable connection between the 2 routers.

My setup is:

UPC 3925 cable modem providing DHCP

Connected to Netgear providing wireless (USB hard drive also connected here) - DHCP is off on this router and starting IP is 192.168.1.100 - cable goes from LAN port of 3925 to LAN port of Netgear - Important not to connect to WAN

Then connected to a netgear behind the tv (this runs though internal LAN patching in the house) - DHCP is off and wireless is off and starting IP is 192.168.1.200 - THis then connects to TV, Sky Box, Blu Ray Player and Xbox - cable goes from LAN port of Netgear to LAN port of Netgear - Important not to connect to WAN

It would also be possible to use WDS to wirelessly repeat the signal from one to the other but both routers would have to support this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I downloaded some Doctor Who episodes - each was approx 400mb and 45 mins long.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Those of us with Download caps will have to be careful and watch what we are downloading. I downloaded about 3 things (not films) yesterday which amounted to about 3 GB, over a month it wouldn't be long adding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

All the programmes have the file size listed beside them so you can look to see what size file you are about to download before pressing the download button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

adox wrote: »
    All the programmes have the file size listed beside them so you can look to see what size file you are about to download before pressing the download button.

I seen that alright but still with 3-4 people here in control of the box we could be in trouble at some stage. I wonder will any companies drop the download limits if sky BB comes in without any.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Standard Definition content could be approx 600-800MB per hour.

High Definition content could be approx 2.5-3.5GB per hour.

That's an approx guide but as already highlighted on this forum, you can easily detemine the data file size of the content you are considering downloading as part of this service - use the 'i' (Information button when the programme is highlighted & you can see that info).

Tardis wrote: »
    Don't really know to be honest. I'm pretty sure upc is unlimited though

UPC is NOT unlimted - its 500GB limit a month - despite what they are allowed advertise by the laws in this country.

With multiple people sharing the same BB connection / Monthly data allowance in a single household, you need to be careful & will still need to watch your data usage (even with a 500GB allowance).

The BB caps really need to be increased now - especially with this new Sky Service, Netflix, iBox, YouTube etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dermondo

Mhmm, I tried to connect and was coming up with a failed connection in the network settings of the box, then called sky and they informed me that it won't be live until the 24th of this month, many conflicting opinions.

So how did you guys get connected :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

SD is 1.5gb or so and HD is around 3.5gb.

In the info of the programme you want to watch tells you how many gb it will be.

Dermondo wrote: »
    Mhmm, I tried to connect and was coming up with a failed connection in the network settings of the box, then called sky and they informed me that it won't be live until the 24th of this month, many conflicting opinions.

It's definitely available as of now. Connect your sky box to outside world either wired or wireless and then activate the service through My Sky.

peking97 wrote: »
    It's definitely available as of now. Connect your sky box to outside world either wired or wireless and then activate the service through My Sky.

Really, thats strange as I must be doing something wrong then, in logged into my sky account earlier and activated it on my account and then verified that it is enabled.

Its strange to be honest, it just wont let my box connect to the internet as it is giving my a fail when checking for a connection, used DHCP and manual and alas no sucess. The cable is fine as is just popped it out of my Amp which I used for Internet radio and the router, broadband is working without any trouble.

Any ideas folks :confused:

mad muffin wrote: »
    SD is 1.5gb or so and HD is around 3.5gb.

In the info of the programme you want to watch tells you how many gb it will be.

I guess it would ultimately depend on the bitrate something was encoded with as well - (in terms of how much data an hours content would use up) but the SD content I downloaded last night as part of this Sky service was less than 700MB for 43 mins - so an hour SD at that same bitrate would be nearer or less than 1GB - significantly less than 1.5GB..;)

@Demondo, Did you get a confirmation email from Sky advising it was (is) active on your account? If yes, go to Network Tab and try a reset (Red button I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Really, thats strange as I must be doing something wrong then, in logged into my sky account earlier and activated it on my account and then verified that it is enabled.

Its strange to be honest, it just wont let my box connect to the internet as it is giving my a fail when checking for a connection, used DHCP and manual and alas no sucess. The cable is fine as is just popped it out of my Amp which I used for Internet radio and the router, broadband is working without any trouble.

Any ideas folks :confused:

There is an option in the "customise" menu (I think) - Connect to Broadband - turn that on.

Mine was turned off

• Advertisement

peking97 wrote: »
    @Demondo, Did you get a confirmation email from Sky advising it was (is) active on your account? If yes, go to Network Tab and try a reset (Red button I think).

Yes I did indeed, got two in fact lol and I tried the reset button, no sucess, but thanks all the same

keith_d99 wrote: »
    There is an option in the "customise" menu (I think) - Connect to Broadband - turn that on.

Mine was turned off
    I tried that as well, turned it off in fact than back on, but alas no sucess :confused:

I tried that as well, turned it off in fact than back on, but alas no sucess :confused:

Is it getting an IP address?
    If it is - can you ping it from something else on the network

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Is it getting an IP address?
    If it is - can you ping it from something else on the network

Hi, it is showing an IP address, but I am unable to ping it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

quick question guys i have magnet fibre to the home with connections in each rooms do i just need to run an ethernet cable to one of the connections or does this have to be connected to my wireless router

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I got that initially - I had to press the "reset" option (red button) in the network settings for it to refresh the IP address lease I guess...

Worked fine since then...

I have a powerline homeplug behind the TV connected to a 4 port switch and then out to my Xbox and the Sky box..

Works without issues..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gally25

Quin_Dub wrote: »

I got that initially - I had to press the "reset" option (red button) in the network settings for it to refresh the IP address lease I guess...

Worked fine since then...

I have a powerline homeplug behind the TV connected to a 4 port switch and then out to my Xbox and the Sky box..

Works without issues..

I have the same problem. I've reset the network settings in customise its set to broadband on! I go into sky store and nothing? Is there somewhere I should go for on demand instead of sky store! I have the hd box setup to the UPC router!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

How long does it take to appear on the box after being activated. Also didnt get an email confirmation that it is active.
    Also does it work when connected to a mobile sharing dock with an ethernet cable ?

Hi, it is showing an IP address, but I am unable to ping it ??

Strange one .... on your router, is the LAN port lighting?

You don't have an ipad by any chance - you could use the Sky+ ipad app to see if there is connectivity to your Sky+ box

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I got this working today after a bit of trouble.

Firstly my account was in cancellation as I had cancelled it having ordered Half Price Sky for 12 months which is due to be installed next week.

You cannot add Sky on demand when your account is in cancellation and I could not add it in "My Sky"

I told them I might reconsider my decision to cancel Sky if I could get the On Demand working to test it out. They then applied €50 credit to my account and I resubscribed on a month by month basis. So I will basically get a months free viewing and then cancel as I will have my 2nd Sky account running at half price, but I can use the box in the bedroom like Multiroom for a month as they gave me €50 credit

Now to get it working you have to ensure the Broadband connection is turned on in the settings and order it in my sky for €0.00. The order process was instantaneous and when I walked from the computer back up to the living room the service was working. I also got a confirmation email straight away.

It is very handy I like it already, however it isn't worth a damn if you haven't a minimum of least 7mbs I'd say. Most HD TV shows are around 2GB (its marked) and unless you have speed you will have to wait for them to buffer.

Advertisement