Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky On-Demand (formerly Anytime) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Hi got my wireless connector today, but sadly it didnt work for, did it ever work for anyone when they got it?

I have an eircom netopia router, went throught the steps provided.
    Services -> Network -> dialog box comes up 'Searching for local network' asks me to input my password, but after doing all that, i get the message saying Problem connecting to network, Please check your settings and re-enter password

I've checked the Broadband Connection & it's set to ON

I was already on to sky on demand centre & went thru the steps of pulling the plug on the HD box & turning on/off the router, but yet again it didnt work.

The On Demand is already set up a while ago when i rang to order it as i read earlier here it wasnt set up was one of the causes.

I fear i'm not the only one that's had this problem, but did anyone get around it?

Thanks for any help.

Try changing the password to your WiFi mine used to be the code on the router but this was fiddly with the numbers letters then upper and lower cases so I just changed it to something easier and at least now if something doesn't connect I know its not the password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 StunningSteve

I think I sussed it. I have a multi-room subscription and I don't have it connected to the phone line as The Polish lad hooking it up said people prefer not to have it connected but it looks like The on-demand service won't work without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I think I sussed it. I have a multi-room subscription and I don't have it connected to the phone line as The Polish lad hooking it up said people prefer not to have it connected but it looks like The on-demand service won't work without it.

Yes it will. I have multi-room. Phone line not connected. On demand works perfectly.

Whats the knack twinklerunner, did you just hook it up and it worked straight away or did you have to change a few settings etc.?

Whats the knack twinklerunner, did you just hook it up and it worked straight away or did you have to change a few settings etc.?

Did you activate on demand on your a/c - I rang Sky as I couldn't do it on line. Also, ensure 'broadband network connection' is set to On. Go to Options, Customise, set to On and save

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Did you activate on demand on your a/c - I rang Sky as I couldn't do it on line. Also, ensure 'broadband network connection' is set to On. Go to Options, Customise, set to On and save

twinklerunner is right I only have a single box phone line not connected and it works no problem.
    When I rang sky to buy the adapter the guy I was talking turned on the service for me.

Yes its activated under my sky packages, local and service connections are ok dchp is on. Its turned on under settings in the customized tab also. I also manually updated my box the other day and still the same old on demand menu.

I'm all out of ideas.

Hi,
    Yes My local and service connection are ok and b/b net connection is switched and im using the sky wireless box that was for sale on the website. My broadband is prefect (Vodafone) my sky box is up to date (manualy done by me) and i have it activated in my sky packages also.

And still I get the old menu, I can't understand why it isn't working

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Yes its activated under my sky packages, local and service connections are ok dchp is on. Its turned on under settings in the customized tab also. I also manually updated my box the other day and still the same old on demand menu.

I'm all out of ideas.
    My local connection is on and there is an ip address. Both service connection and DHCP is off. Sometimes DHCP switches to on when i save the settings but then i have no local network service connection or ip address. I can't get the DCHP to stay on with everything else on. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Hi,
    Yes My local and service connection are ok and b/b net connection is switched and im using the sky wireless box that was for sale on the website. My broadband is prefect (Vodafone) my sky box is up to date (manualy done by me) and i have it activated in my sky packages also.

And still I get the old menu, I can't understand why it isn't working

My setup is I've an Eircom netopia modem with encryption on. I have a Belkin router plugged in to that with the encryption turned off because I live out in the country and I don't need it turned on.
    No matter what I do I can't get the sky box to connect to the Eircom signal but it connects to the Belkin signal no problem.
    I know nobody especially in a built up area wants to turn off the modems encryption but going by that it looks like its the Eircom modem that's the problem. It may be worth turning off the encryption just to see will it work.

• Advertisement

kopfan77 wrote: »
    Just make sure that you are using the correct upper/lower case when entering the password....it took me ages to figure out this was what i was doing wrong

I was trying to install my connector today and the Sky + HD box picked up my wi fi connection, but when I put in the wi fi password the Sky box wouldnt connect and now that I think about it I didnt put the password in as lower case (which it is).So hopefully thats it,I will check it tonight after work.

How do you get the lower case letters on the Sky remote,is it just holding down the appropriate key until the one you want appears?

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I was trying to install my connector today and the Sky + HD box picked up my wi fi connection, but when I put in the wi fi password the Sky box wouldnt connect and now that I think about it I didnt put the password in as lower case (which it is).So hopefully thats it,I will check it tonight after work.

How do you get the lower case letters on the Sky remote,is it just holding down the appropriate key until the one you want appears?
    Keep pressing the appropriate key for lower case and numbers.

Well,that worked out alright,its up and running.The On Demand is a nice little feature and was surprised to see content from ITV iplayer on there. Hopefully BBC and Ch 4 will allow their programmes on it at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Mredmond

I finally got my wireless connectors working on both boxes. Followed several of the tips I picked up here and elsewhere
    - changed wireless security from WEP to WPA
    - tried manual wireless config
    and various other steps such as planner rebuilds. The manual config in particular caused me a lot of difficulties, as I could not remove the settings once I'd saved them, even though they didn't work.

In the end, I stuck a pin in the little hole at the back of the connector (for 5 seconds) and it reset. Started the whole process over, and the connectors both picked up my WiFi first time. Entered my password (WPA) and hey presto, On demand is working.

Just to confirm,

There are people out there with Sky Multiroom and DO NOT have a telephone line connected to the either of the Sky boxes and Sky ON-Demand is working for them?

Just to confirm,

There are people out there with Sky Multiroom and DO NOT have a telephone line connected to the either of the Sky boxes and Sky ON-Demand is working for them?

Definitely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Hooked the Ethernet cable up the other night and am impressed so far.
    Downloads are fast enough but I usually can't play the HD content untill 25% is downloaded whereas SD stuff comes available after 5 or 10%.

The sky server seems rocket fast?
    I also have the ITV player with no card trick.
    It seems official as it is minus anything on TV 3 but a good addition!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Hi
    where is the itv player on the demand menu,cant seem to find it..:confused:

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

On Demand > Library > Channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

donalg1 wrote: »
    Try changing the password to your WiFi mine used to be the code on the router but this was fiddly with the numbers letters then upper and lower cases so I just changed it to something easier and at least now if something doesn't connect I know its not the password.

Yeah i finally got around to it, as i was away & suddenly reminded of it as soon as i sat down on the sofa :rolleyes:
    It certainly needed a lot of patience especially with trying with lower & higher case as some numbers like the no.1 only needed one press as most needed a few presses so you had to start over again :eek:

But it finally worked like a flash as one came up with Fail first & then changed to Pass!

Afaik it was already set up as WPA & didnt really notice before but i must check the router settings to change the password as i think i came across a post on Eircom routers & passwords being easy to notice as inputting 20 characters is a pain.

• Advertisement

I finally got on demand working after 4 weeks of trying. It turned out that the Eircom router i was using was unable to connect to my Sky HD box. I was told by the Sky person on the phone that my password maybe too long and that i would have to get on to Eircom to change it. I phoned Eircom and when i told the guy i was trying to connect a wireless connector to my Sky Box he said i would need a mew modem as the old one was unable to handle the download speed. I had the grey Netopia router with the two antennas. I received my new black router today for free and set it up. I then put in my new 12 digit password in lowercase and it worked straight away. I now have the new On demand. It took about two minutes to set up. :):)

I finally got on demand working after 4 weeks of trying. It turned out that the Eircom router i was using was unable to connect to my Sky HD box. I was told by the Sky person on the phone that my password maybe too long and that i would have to get on to Eircom to change it. I phoned Eircom and when i told the guy i was trying to connect a wireless connector to my Sky Box he said i would need a mew modem as the old one was unable to handle the download speed. I had the grey Netopia router with the two antennas. I received my new black router today for free and set it up. I then put in my new 12 digit password in lowercase and it worked straight away. I now have the new On demand. It took about two minutes to set up. :):)

If only someone told you that 4wks ago;)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭td1

Ads on e.g. Boardwalk Empire refer to being able to see the episode again on "catch-up". I can't seem to access this. Is this available on the Irish boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Just received my wireless box today and same issue with old netopia router. Do I need to change the router as it works perfectly with ps3, don't want the hassle (nor do I think I have the ability to) portforward etc to play on-line etc?

Plascebo wrote: »
    Just received my wireless box today and same issue with old netopia router. Do I need to change the router as it works perfectly with ps3, don't want the hassle (nor do I think I have the ability to) portforward etc to play on-line etc?
    If you call eircom and tell them your old router is not working and ask them are you entitled to a free new router. I've had my old router for 5 years so i got the new one for free. Chances are they will give you a new one. If you get one all you will have to do is put in the password of your router to your Sky HD box and it should connect to the on demand service. My old router worked fine with the ps3. ipods and my internet radio. With the ps3 you will have to put the ip address, ssubnet,gateway router address and the DNS. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

If you call eircom and tell them your old router is not working and ask them are you entitled to a free new router. I've had my old router for 5 years so i got the new one for free. Chances are they will give you a new one. If you get one all you will have to do is put in the password of your router to your Sky HD box and it should connect to the on demand service. My old router worked fine with the ps3. ipods and my internet radio. With the ps3 you will have to put the ip address, ssubnet,gateway router address and the DNS. Best of luck with it.

Be sure they dont start a new 12 month contract.

td1 wrote: »
    Ads on e.g. Boardwalk Empire refer to being able to see the episode again on "catch-up". I can't seem to access this. Is this available on the Irish boxes?

I think the "catch-up" is only available in the UK afaik.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Be sure they dont start a new 12 month contract.
    I didn't have to start a new contract and as i said i'm with them a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Has anyone managed to get a new HD box out of them for free. I am with them since 1999, have a white PACE Sky+ box and the guy on the phone wanted €200 off me for a new HD+ box for use with on demand service even when I was willing to add movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 The Major

Tried to order a new wireless connector online for the On-Demand service , but was told that my old Thomson HD box was not compatible with the On-Demand service so I rang SKY and an engineer was sent out and installed a new Amstrad HD box , he also replaced my dish as it was old and rusty , all done free of charge. I then proceeded to set up my On-Demand via the wireless connector (Had to pay for this)and Vodafone router without any issues.

Advertisement