Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky On-Demand (formerly Anytime) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Major wrote: »
    Tried to order a new wireless connector online for the On-Demand service , but was told that my old Thomson HD box was not compatible with the On-Demand service so I rang SKY and an engineer was sent out and installed a new Amstrad HD box , he also replaced my dish as it was old and rusty , all done free of charge. I then proceeded to set up my On-Demand via the wireless connector (Had to pay for this)and Vodafone router without any issues.

Was told the very same - even though I have two Amstrad HD boxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

Damien360 wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get a new HD box out of them for free. I am with them since 1999, have a white PACE Sky+ box and the guy on the phone wanted €200 off me for a new HD+ box for use with on demand service even when I was willing to add movies.

I got a free HD box and free installation a few months back but then again my white Sky+ box was acting up, a hard disk failure mostly. The first operator said he couldn't do anything for me suggesting I buy a second hand box from ebay or adverts but I went down the cancellation route fully intending to move to UPC who don't charge for equipment to receive their service.

The lady in the cancellations when she heard that the only reason I was cancelling was that my box wasn't working got me a new HD box and installation for free. No contract upgrade or anything, seems a no brainer.

If you're in a UPC area and you phone to cancel saying that you're going to move to UPC because you want an ondemand service then I imagine the routine would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

nicelives wrote: »
    I got a free HD box and free installation a few months back but then again my white Sky+ box was acting up, a hard disk failure mostly. The first operator said he couldn't do anything for me suggesting I buy a second hand box from ebay or adverts but I went down the cancellation route fully intending to move to UPC who don't charge for equipment to receive their service.

The lady in the cancellations when she heard that the only reason I was cancelling was that my box wasn't working got me a new HD box and installation for free. No contract upgrade or anything, seems a no brainer.

If you're in a UPC area and you phone to cancel saying that you're going to move to UPC because you want an ondemand service then I imagine the routine would be the same.

Good stuff. I have UPC broadband already in the house and "they will offer me a deal" to switch to UPC TV also. Did you deal with Irish call centre or foreign one. Do the Irish ones know what is being pushed and will they play ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Keithl2156

Sky catch up service is unavailable in ROI. Yes, I can understand channel 5 itv and BBC players not being available but why can't sky give us the catch up for the channels like sky 1, living, Atlantic and arts. What's sopping that?

Damien360 wrote: »
    Good stuff. I have UPC broadband already in the house and "they will offer me a deal" to switch to UPC TV also. Did you deal with Irish call centre or foreign one. Do the Irish ones know what is being pushed and will they play ball.

All Irish but I phoned the general number, should be fine, especially from other peoples' experience with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Keithl2156

Sky catch up service is unavailable in ROI. Yes, I can understand channel 5 itv and BBC players not being available but why can't sky give us the catch up for the channels like sky 1, living, Atlantic and arts. What's sopping that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Keithl2156 wrote: »

I don't know how we can help you. It's sky's perogative what catch-up service they do or do not provide to Irish customers, and for whatever reason they have decided to NOT provide us with the above. Hopefully their position will change on that soon, but there is not much we can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭joe6pack

Has anyone else noticed the content on "on demand" is pure cat malojin and at that when you click into to recently added tab its the same ****e thats been there for weeks.
    Also nearly all of the on demand content is there own crap.The only good thing about it is the price €0.00 because I wouldn't pay a penny extra for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

The Sopranos are gone from the Box Sets, I was on to Season 2 and they have now just dissapeared. WTF Sky??? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Keithl2156 wrote: »

it is available - its under On-Demand -> Channels, there's even some stuff from the ITV player there despite ITV not being on the EPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

CoDy1 wrote: »
    The Sopranos are gone from the Box Sets, I was on to Season 2 and they have now just dissapeared. WTF Sky??? :mad:

That is just plain mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

loyatemu wrote: »
    it is available - its under On-Demand -> Channels, there's even some stuff from the ITV player there despite ITV not being on the EPG.

Wrong this is not a catch up service.

This is a library of stuff from ITV yes but not a catch up service.

Catch up is shows from the last 7 days.

UPC ON Demand have catch up from RTE and TV3.

Sky ON Demand has four tabs in Ireland Showcase Library Movies and Sky Store.

In Library you can break the content down into channels that showed the content like ITV or Sky One for example but these are a back catalog of shows not catch up.

In the UK there is a 5th tab on the Sky ON Demand service for Catch UP with shows from the last 7 days from BBC ITV Channel 4 Channel 5 and Sky.

The rights issue in Ireland is different RTE have the rights to Eastenders and so on and TV3 have the rights to the ITV soaps among other things.

I think Sky are trying to get RTE and TV3 players on as our Catch UP service.

Click on my link for more.http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4285487&tpl=archnews&force=1

CoDy1 wrote: »

Bizarre, both that and Game of Thrones, Sky need to make it clear that they are not like like other subscription TV services, that their box sets are only promotions to sell DVDs or of course encourage paying subscribers to find them elsewhere once addicted, very strange business model and disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭killabban182

just got my wireless connector from sky today connected it to my HDbox and home network just wondering do I get new content straight away or does it build up over time because at the moment I am getting the same programmes as I was before I connected the wireless connector???

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

just got my wireless connector from sky today connected it to my HDbox and home network just wondering do I get new content straight away or does it build up over time because at the moment I am getting the same programmes as I was before I connected the wireless connector???
    If everything is connected correctly and the settings are are right you should get the new content straight away. Make sure on demand is activated on your Sky account. If you can't activate it on the Sky website through My Sky page then give Sky a ring and they will do it. Also if it is activated it could take up to four hours for the signal to reach your box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

joe6pack wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed the content on "on demand" is pure cat malojin and at that when you click into to recently added tab its the same ****e thats been there for weeks.
    Also nearly all of the on demand content is there own crap.The only good thing about it is the price €0.00 because I wouldn't pay a penny extra for it.

Couldnt agree more. Its absolute rubbish. I too was watching Sopranos (I have seen it before but wanted to watch it again) and then *poof* its gone. So off i go to watch it through 'alternative means'.

Its ridiculous. What really annoys me is if you have missed a show or start watching a series half way into it, you cannot find the older episodes.
    This happened me with Richard Grants Hotel Secrets. 7 episodes made by Sky Atlantic. Started watching the show on the 4th episode. I loved it so wanted to watch the 3 I missed. Not even on Sky Demand. Its pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

What would it cost an existing sky customers with standard sky plus to get a sky + HD without getting hd service and the €15 receiver box included?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

thesultan wrote: »
    What would it cost an existing sky customers with standard sky plus to get a sky + HD without getting hd service and the €15 receiver box included?
    Eh? :confused:

thesultan wrote: »

Well they'll be happy enough to charge you for a whole new HD+ box or you could be prepared to leave because of it and a whole new set of options seem to appear on their screen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭cullenswood

If I try and but a film from the library it is still telling me I need the phone line connected....surely the fact that they have a connection via broadband should negate this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timmydel1

I received my wireless connector from sky the other day and promptly began to set it up.Connected the cables and went to setup page on tv.Grand so far.Now to enter my wireless password......I have a complex password set up from day one on my router as per advice of "Leo Laporte" and Steve gibson from grc security...This password has proved impossible to enter using the sky remote !!! Why cant we get an onscreen keyboard on sky box or a way to paste in password !! You also cannot set up connector via direct pc connection !!

Ah well, since I dont want to lower my network security and change all my other devices settings, I have put the connector back in the box and consigned it to the back of the cupboard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 powerunit

why dont you have the setting//encryption on your router changed to wep mode this is now best encryption setting for any router ? i read a topic that wpa etc can be hacked and it advised that wep is the safest option. can any one confirm this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

powerunit wrote: »
    why dont you have the setting//encryption on your router changed to wep mode this is now best encryption setting for any router ? i read a topic that wpa etc can be hacked and it advised that wep is the safest option. can any one confirm this

Hmm I would not be using wep after reading some links on Google, less then ten mins your unsecured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timmydel1

WEP is totally unsecure and now useless! Do not use this anymore. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

Surely a one or two character change in your password to allow it to be entered via the remote is worth it to have your sky box hooked up?
    +1 on not using WEP - it also forces any N-routers to limit speed if WEP is used.

-Coley.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Verso

Hi all,

I have just connected my HD + box to receive 'on demand' through a direct ethernet connection (not wireless). However when I downloaded a half hour programme it took 75 minutes to record this to my planner. The size of the download was 383 mb. If I had been recording a movie it would have taken most of the day to record at this rate.

The router that I am using is a Netopia 2247NWG and whilst this may be elderly it never took this long to download this size of file from the Internet - this size from the Internet would only takes a few minutes. I am using Eircom.

Is this usual?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Verso wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have just connected my HD + box to receive 'on demand' through a direct ethernet connection (not wireless). However when I downloaded a half hour programme it took 75 minutes to record this to my planner. The size of the download was 383 mb. If I had been recording a movie it would have taken most of the day to record at this rate.

The router that I am using is a Netopia 2247NWG and whilst this may be elderly it never took this long to download this size of file from the Internet - this size from the Internet would only takes a few minutes. I am using Eircom.

Is this usual?.

I never have any problems maybe you should think about switching your broadband provider.
    2479247292.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

If I try and but a film from the library it is still telling me I need the phone line connected....surely the fact that they have a connection via broadband should negate this?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

The phone connection is required to process the billing.
    The BB just handles the downloads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭gaz15

Got one the wireless routers in the door today, cannot for the life of me get it connected. Changed wireless security from wep to wpa, reset sky router, reset broadband router and it's still not picking up the signal! At moment the yellow light on front it constantly flashing and on screen says, local and service connection fail and ip address= 0.0.0.0.

Any ideas?

Advertisement