Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky On-Demand (formerly Anytime) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I've disconnected my Ethernet cable from the Sky box. The service is brutal and not worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Verso

gaz15 wrote: »
    Got one the wireless routers in the door today, cannot for the life of me get it connected. Changed wireless security from wep to wpa, reset sky router, reset broadband router and it's still not picking up the signal! At moment the yellow light on front it constantly flashing and on screen says, local and service connection fail and ip address= 0.0.0.0.

Any ideas?

Same here. Everything O.K. when setting up but when I entered the necessary password I got the same result as yourself. I wasted a whole afternoon but still could not get any connection no matter what way I entered the password - either in upper case or lower case letters. I tested the cable and it is O.K.

In the end I connected an old router direct into the ethernet and this worked no bother.

As regards to the Sky wireless router, this still would not pick up anything even when the router was in the same room!

In the end I just gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Verso wrote: »

Same here. Everything O.K. when setting up but when I entered the necessary password I got the same result as yourself. I wasted a whole afternoon but still could not get any connection no matter what way I entered the password - either in upper case or lower case letters. I tested the cable and it is O.K.

In the end I connected an old router direct into the ethernet and this worked no bother.

As regards to the Sky wireless router, this still would not pick up anything even when the router was in the same room!

In the end I just gave up.

Is this a common problem as Iam thinking of upgrading to a HD box just to get ' on demand' it would NOT suit me to use an Ethernet cable as the router is in another room

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

Have you both tested with security(password) off just to see if it is indeed a password issue and not something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭gaz15

zg3409 wrote: »
    Have you both tested with security(password) off just to see if it is indeed a password issue and not something else?

My router doesn't even pick up any signals at all! Just constantly says searching and then Will say local network not found. Maybe its an issue with eircom hub... Have it a long time now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Verso

zg3409 wrote: »

Thanks for your comment ZG.

It could well be another issue but as far as I know the password has to be given anyway.

All that I do know is that I cannot go any further when asked for the password.

Just to mention that I have a Wi-Fi radio that is used all over the house on my present system with no trouble at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Anyone know if the Catchup services, iplayer or RTE player will comes to Skys' on Demand?

billbond4 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Catchup services, iplayer or RTE player will comes to Skys' on Demand?

Probably not anytime soon. They would need to pay the BBC and RTE to carry the service. Ireland is such a small market it is unlikely they will setup a special setup just so the Irish can watch RTE player via a Sky box.

What I use is a laptop with a HDMI or VGA port and connect it to the TV. All players then work unless region locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

yeah i was thinking the same, thinking of getting a "Smart" samsung Blu ray DVD player to have the RTE player, it would just be a handy setup instead of having to get laptop out

billbond4 wrote: »
    yeah i was thinking the same, thinking of getting a "Smart" samsung Blu ray DVD player to have the RTE player, it would just be a handy setup instead of having to get laptop out

I setup one of those "smart" DVDs a few weeks ago for a friend. The version of RTE player used is slightly different to the website version. It is easier to navigate using a remote. There are ads at the start of each clip, which is annoying.

Youtube and other movie players are there but attempting to type in text to search for clips on youtube is a nightmare and not practical with the small remote.

Further discussion of these products probably deserves a seperate thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Cheapest option may be to get one of those Android TV dongles that plug into a HDMI port on your TV. I'm looking at it but haven't yet. However if my phone is anything to go by then I can get Sky Go, Netflix and 4OD (since yesterday) direct on Android and using Firefox with flash installed (you can still get flash direct from the flash website) I can get RTE player, 3player and TG4.

I haven't used ont but there are lots of the dongles on Amazon with reviews to help guide you. Just search for Android TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Im with Magnet and my anytime wifi box wont connect. Wifi connected to it but service not working. On phone for an hour last night to Sky they couldnt fix it either..

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stobart

Hi all, I'm having a slight problem with my on demand, went i select something to watch it wont let me watch it till the entire download has completed, up until two weeks ago i could watch it after 1% had downloaded and it continued with the rest of the download as it watched it, any ideas ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

Just wondering how people are getting on connecting their iPad to the Sky+ HD box? Has it worked for you?

Mine is not picking up the HD Box at all. "Can't find a compatible Sky+HD box on this network" is the message I'm getting even though I successfully connected the box to my broadband using the Sky wireless router.

Apologies, this has probably been done to death on this thread already but I don't have the time to read through 40 pages so any help/advice gratefully accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

are you talking about sky+ app on ipad?
    If so, yes i can connect my ipad, iphone, android phone to the sky hd box.
    it shows the recordings and planner on the ipad.
    i cant watch it though on ipad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

DublinKev wrote: »
    Just wondering how people are getting on connecting their iPad to the Sky+ HD box? Has it worked for you?

Mine is not picking up the HD Box at all. "Can't find a compatible Sky+HD box on this network" is the message I'm getting even though I successfully connected the box to my broadband using the Sky wireless router.

Apologies, this has probably been done to death on this thread already but I don't have the time to read through 40 pages so any help/advice gratefully accepted.

It's an ongoing issue for a load of people, my included, Sky don't seem to be able to pinpoint the exact issue other than advise to removed the app, do a force update or planner rebuild on your HD box and try again. Works for some, not for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Same issue on android Nexus 7.

Just a note, I tried manual Ip settings on Sky+ box and the box locked up and crashed. Could not see wireless network at all. I had to plug it back in to wired, find network, remove wire and put back wireless and then it was happy again.

Thanks folks, I'll give those tips a try.

The Sky On Demand product looks pretty average I must say, notwithstanding not being able to get the iPad control to work. Not a whole lot on On Demand compared to in the UK it seems. Why not put all the series on the box sets, not just one?

Doesn't seem like a whole lot to write home about. Maybe it will improve.

Damien360 wrote: »

Same issue on android Nexus 7.

Just a note, I tried manual Ip settings on Sky+ box and the box locked up and crashed. Could not see wireless network at all. I had to plug it back in to wired, find network, remove wire and put back wireless and then it was happy again.

I forced a software update to the box and now it works well.

To do this, unplug and hold down backup button on the box (not the remote). While holding button, power on and keep holding until you get a splash screen about the update. Now leave it alone for 10 minutes. Once it comes back to life it works.

Thanks Damien. I will give that a try and report back to the committee!

• Advertisement

Hi Damien and all,

Tried the force update option this evening and no joy with that either.

I'm stumped, but thanks all the same.

Hi Damien and all,

Tried the force update option this evening and no joy with that either.

I'm stumped, but thanks all the same.

A silly question, but are both the sky+box and the ipad/nexus on the same wireless network. I have some devices (PS3 etc) on homeplugs in the house and they will not talk to any wireless devices. Basically, both devices need to be on wireless network to work.

Also, when you look at the SKY+ box network settings, can it see a valid IP address and are the services (next line down) saying "OK". Have you enabled the on-demand option which is not on the same screen. It is in settings but I cannot remember which one and the kids are watching simpsons so I will be shot if I interupt :D

It's a general issue Damien, some people have found a reset of all devices works, for others, including me, nothing will work at all.

Nor for me ThisRegard.

Damien, I have tried all the steps you have outlined and I had a very comprehensive email and suggestions from Sky too. Tried everything, nothing has worked. Sky are going to contact me. If I have any joy I will let ye know.

It's not a make or break issue if I'm being honest but, given that the option and the technology is there, it would be good to have it.

Thanks guys.

When the app was first released Sky contacted me eventually by phone. They just go through the usual steps they have on their forum of asking if you have gone through reinstalling the app and doing a forced update of the box, then check a couple of basic things like if sharing is on on the box and that the network is active. The guy just then took the details of what I use the app on, my Nexus 7 and Galaxy S, the sky box and the router details to go back to the developers with.

Never heard anything since. I imagine the developers had more serious things to be looking at with the failure of Sky Go with the new android release and I don't expect them to get testing their app with my specific router either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Does anyone know if I have to use the sky wireless box, or can I use something like this?
    It's just that space is a premium in my tv cabinet and the sky wireless thing looks a bit bulky

Cienciano wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I have to use the sky wireless box, or can I use something like this?
    It's just that space is a premium in my tv cabinet and the sky wireless thing looks a bit bulky

No that will not work.

That is a USB device. The sky unit is connected by LAN cable. It is really small, credit card by credit card length and width by one third credit card high (cannot find a ruler for you !!).

Sky box will work with any wireless device or wired. The sky wireless unit has no memory whatsoever and is just an emitter. The firmware for it is driven from the sky box itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No that will not work.

That is a USB device. The sky unit is connected by LAN cable. It is really small, credit card by credit card length and width by one third credit card high (cannot find a ruler for you !!).

Sky box will work with any wireless device or wired. The sky wireless unit has no memory whatsoever and is just an emitter. The firmware for it is driven from the sky box itself.

Cheers, that answers that then! I'll sort one out off sky.

Nor for me ThisRegard.

Damien, I have tried all the steps you have outlined and I had a very comprehensive email and suggestions from Sky too. Tried everything, nothing has worked. Sky are going to contact me. If I have any joy I will let ye know.

It's not a make or break issue if I'm being honest but, given that the option and the technology is there, it would be good to have it.

Thanks guys.

I just found a setting in parental controls on box and wonder if issue is related to this. It was 'allow sharing of content'. A long shot but mine is set to 'on'.

• Advertisement

I just found a setting in parental controls on box and wonder if issue is related to this. It was 'allow sharing of content'. A long shot but mine is set to 'on'.

No luck with that either Damien360, thanks anyway.

Advertisement