Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky On-Demand (formerly Anytime) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The €65 would be the cost of your current subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    OK, I'm confused.

I have Sky+ HD but I do not have a movies or sports package. I used to have Acetrax on my Samsung Bluray player connected via a very ****ing expensive WI-Fi dongle to my BB. Then Sky buys Acetrax and shuts them down.

I liked Acetrax because unlike Netflix it was rental as opposed to subscription based. I don't watch enough movies to pay a sub and therefore wanted to stick with the per rental model.

I got one of the Sky Wi-Fi boxes and set it up for on demand and now when I try to watch a movie it tells me I have to upgrade my package to do it.

What the **** is the point of on demand if I have to have Sky movies to watch a ****ing move over the Net?

Or am I missing something.

LD

As you do not have sky movies sub, you must use sky store (furthest right on selection) to pick your movies and then download . Watch out for the extra €1 for HD version, same as appleTV

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

I have no sky sports on sky on demand tv Has anyone noticed this or is anyone still got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

johnmryan wrote: »
    Anyone have an issue with UPC Broadband and Sky OD. It keeps loosing the internet connection for me. Every day I go to use it it says no connection, so I go into Network option and reset the connection and it comes back after a little while. I have tried changing the net port on the modem, but does not help. Also not sure it's the modem, as we upgraded to 50MB broadband and they gave us a new modem - same problem with new (cisco) modem...

Did anyone solve this problem? I only have On Demand set up for about a week and am constantly having to reconnect to the UPC network. Does the box not remember the password in the way my PC or iphone does?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

Tarabuses wrote: »
    Did anyone solve this problem? I only have On Demand set up for about a week and am constantly having to reconnect to the UPC network. Does the box not remember the password in the way my PC or iphone does?

Are you using a cable to connect to the UPC box or a wireless adapter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi.
    Just wondering if someone who has Sky Demand can give me some specific information about the service.
    I have asked Sky these questions but am getting really vague responses.
    I don't have Sky Movies so want to know how much it would cost to rent a film through On Demand. I know there are different price bands but say a brand new release and also could someone give me an idea of a couple of new release films that are there at the moment?
    The other question have is in relation to Box Sets.
    Again could someone give me a few examples of what series are available ?
    Is Breaking Bad there in full?!
    Many thanks in advance.

johnire wrote: »
    Hi.
    Just wondering if someone who has Sky Demand can give me some specific information about the service.
    I don't have Sky Movies so want to know how much it would cost to rent a film through On Demand. I know there are different price bands but say a brand new release and also could someone give me an idea of a couple of new release films that are there at the moment?
    Many thanks in advance.

If you already have Sky the basics are free and you signup through:
    http://go.sky.com/
    or connect a modern HD box to an internet connection.
    Even without a movies package you can see what is available.

If you have Sky, but do not have Sky movies, then the movies are not available and not free. Very new releases (basically box office movies) are sometimes paid even if you have the movies, however these are very few and far between. With a movie subscription it's actually hard to find any pay movies.

Without the movies pack you basically cannot watch any of the movies, but they are listed.

Remember the on demand is only a small subset of what is available via a proper Sky box on the TV. Not all channels are covered, not all movies are available, not all shows on all channels are available.

There are 46 shows from Sky Atlantic, some with more episodes than others. They do not tend to have loads of series, normally just the current one. For example there is NO BREAKING BAD available, and some shows available are channel 4 shows, which are free from Channel 4.

If you want TV series, the best way is to record them from a Sky box on series link. For example Breaking bad on RTE. If you miss one or two episodes then the RTE player is the way to go. Neither Sky nor RTE keep a back catalogue of all shows.

About 4 new movies are added each week, incuding about 1 watchable one. Only one really good movie per month.

If you want only a movie or two per month then the existing Sky box office is the way to go, instead of a monthly subscription. Most of the movies on Sky movies are old and low quality. Hollywood does not make that many good movies per month.

I find the best way to experience all the players is to just use a laptop with HDMI connected to the TV. Then I can watch RTE player/TV3 Player/Sky on demand etc on a big TV.

You also need a decent internet connection with a decent download limit.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Are you using a cable to connect to the UPC box or a wireless adapter?

I'm using the wireless adaptor supplied by Sky.

I'm using the wireless adaptor supplied by Sky.

Try a long ethernet, not phone, cable between the Sky box and the UPC, This will eliminate any wireless issues. On of the reason the wireless may not work is interference from neighbours also using wireless at the same time.

Try a long ethernet, not phone, cable between the Sky box and the UPC, This will eliminate any wireless issues. On of the reason the wireless may not work is interference from neighbours also using wireless at the same time.

I used the ethernet cable that came with the wireless connector. The problem seems to be the wireless connector losing the signal as that light goes out and doesn't seem to be able to reconnect automatically.

• Advertisement

I used the ethernet cable that came with the wireless connector. The problem seems to be the wireless connector losing the signal as that light goes out and doesn't seem to be able to reconnect automatically.

If you say that the cable works 100% OK and the wireless does not, then it is probably a wireless setting on the UPC cable modem. Personally if you can continue to use a cable this will always give the best speed and most reliable connection. If you must use wireless try changing settings on the UPC modem.

The webpage is probably:
    http://192.168.1.1
    or
    http://192.168.1.254

I think if you leave the password blank you can login. Then you can modify wireless options. The most reliable settings would be wireless security off, 802.11b only and a channel between 1 and 11. If that works reliably then you could try turning the wireless password on, and possibly trying to return to the standard settings. It is not recommended to leave wireless security off except for testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 octomis

johnire wrote: »
    Hi.
    Many thanks in advance.

Hi I have on demand I also have movies its 5 euro to rent a new release from the sky store
    They have all the new releases u would find in extra vision

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Quick question:

I have the old white Sky+ box that continues to serve me well as I have no immediate interest in Sky HD. Will the On Demand Connector box for €12.99 work with my current set up?

http://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/on-demand-connector/

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

tallpaul wrote: »
    Quick question:

I have the old white Sky+ box that continues to serve me well as I have no immediate interest in Sky HD. Will the On Demand Connector box for €12.99 work with my current set up?

http://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/on-demand-connector/
    Dont think it will work for you - see the last paragraph here

Just to point out that you can have a Sky+ HD box without signing up to HD. You can pick one up cheap on Adverts.ie or DoneDeal etc. Just watch out for boxes that are still under contract to or have money owing to Sky as they (Sky) wont pair your card with these boxes apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hojphotography

Just curious about the new On Demand version form Sky. I want to find out before I even think about upgrading from my old white Sky+ box, do the new movies that are available through On Demand come with Dolby Digital surround sound with a non HD service. They used to come with this on my white box but not anymore.

If you say that the cable works 100% OK and the wireless does not, then it is probably a wireless setting on the UPC cable modem. Personally if you can continue to use a cable this will always give the best speed and most reliable connection. If you must use wireless try changing settings on the UPC modem.

The webpage is probably:
    http://192.168.1.1
    or
    http://192.168.1.254

I think if you leave the password blank you can login. Then you can modify wireless options. The most reliable settings would be wireless security off, 802.11b only and a channel between 1 and 11. If that works reliably then you could try turning the wireless password on, and possibly trying to return to the standard settings. It is not recommended to leave wireless security off except for testing.

By one of those strange occurences that seem to happen now and again with hi-tech devices, the problem has now resolved itself without any apparent intervention from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭supersonic64

If you have Wi-fi broadband in the house do you not need to use the green cable to connect from sky+HD box to sky black on demand box?
    When i first connected using green cable i could access box sets and showcase(dont have movies) but everytime this last few days it keeps showing 'searching for listings' i have both lights showing on the wireless box still using cable between boxes.

If you have Wi-fi broadband in the house do you not need to use the green cable to connect from sky+HD box to sky black on demand box?
    When i first connected using green cable i could access box sets and showcase(dont have movies) but everytime this last few days it keeps showing 'searching for listings' i have both lights showing on the wireless box still using cable between boxes.

Try moving the Sky box or wifi unit, and connecting the green cable directly between the Sky box and the Wifi internet box. If it then works OK, you may have a Wifi problem. Sometimes turning off everything and back on again fixes it. Generally wifi is a bit dodgy, especially for streaming TV as you can get interference from neighbours wifi. A cable is best.

Try moving the Sky box or wifi unit, and connecting the green cable directly between the Sky box and the Wifi internet box. If it then works OK, you may have a Wifi problem. Sometimes turning off everything and back on again fixes it. Generally wifi is a bit dodgy, especially for streaming TV as you can get interference from neighbours wifi. A cable is best.

Thanks zg i'll try that, when you say try moving boxes, do you mean like only inches? as there's a limit as to how far i can move them.

Thanks zg i'll try that, when you say try moving boxes, do you mean like only inches? as there's a limit as to how far i can move them.

I mean move the Sky box close enough to the internet providers box, so you can just use the green cable between them, and not use the Sky wireless adapter. In this way you can rule out a wireless problem. You can get very long ethernet cables if it is impossible to move them close enough.

• Advertisement

I mean move the Sky box close enough to the internet providers box, so you can just use the green cable between them, and not use the Sky wireless adapter. In this way you can rule out a wireless problem. You can get very long ethernet cables if it is impossible to move them close enough.

No, at the moment the wireless box is sitting right on top of the sky+HD box with green cable between.I'll try the old switch everything off and reboot everything solution to see if it works.
    Was just talking to a lad at work, he got a new sky+ box a few weeks ago and he says the on demand feature is built into the new boxes, is this right?

Was just talking to a lad at work, he got a new sky+ box a few weeks ago and he says the on demand feature is built into the new boxes, is this right?

The Wifi adapter is built into the newest boxes, but again a cable would be more reliable, especially if you have lots of metal around your Sky box such as a DVD player, steel TV stand etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Got a letter off Sky last week saying I was getting one of these as a free gift,rang them up there sending one on.

http://www.sky.com/products/kit/on-demand-connector/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

on the sky info channel - 999 is it - it was showing the the search feature now does prediction, anyone have this working?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Just noticed on the Sky forums that catch up is being mentioned as arriving in Ireland tomorrow, anybody got any info or anything? First I've heard about it....
    Are you in the Republic of Ireland? If so Catch up TV goes live on the 20th November in the ROI so sit tight and you'll be getting it really soon if this is the case.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/On-Demand-Catch-Up-TV/no-catch-up-section-on-demand-Ireland/td-p/1482531

Hopefully it does come tomorrow, saves having to use the search function to find the Sky Sports stuff from On Demand.

Guessing there is a chance, the new update on the DRX890/895 that included the new search function also has some of the recent Sky shows shown available through OD by going to Box Sets and then HD, such as say the most recently aired Boardwalk Empire.

Notice the Fox catch up shows that show up this way are not downloadable though, says you need to upgrade your subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

batistuta9 wrote: »
    on the sky info channel - 999 is it - it was showing the the search feature now does prediction, anyone have this working?
    Yes it's working for me. Press the TV Guide button then the Blue button.
    AFAIK you need to have the latest box firmware for it to work. Mine is R008.063.49.08P.
    See this page for F/W info:- http://www.skyepginfo.co.uk/skyhd/skyplushd.html

peking97 wrote: »
    Yes it's working for me. Press the TV Guide button then the Blue button.
    AFAIK you need to have the latest box firmware for it to work. Mine is R008.063.49.08P.
    See this page for F/W info:- http://www.skyepginfo.co.uk/skyhd/skyplushd.html

thanks, forced the update & got it

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Racket wrote: »
    Just noticed on the Sky forums that catch up is being mentioned as arriving in Ireland tomorrow, anybody got any info or anything? First I've heard about it....
    It's now delayed until 25th!

Racket wrote: »

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/On-Demand-Catch-Up-TV/no-catch-up-section-on-demand-Ireland/td-p/1482531

Hopefully it does come tomorrow, saves having to use the search function to find the Sky Sports stuff from On Demand.

Guessing there is a chance, the new update on the DRX890/895 that included the new search function also has some of the recent Sky shows shown available through OD by going to Box Sets and then HD, such as say the most recently aired Boardwalk Empire.

Notice the Fox catch up shows that show up this way are not downloadable though, says you need to upgrade your subscription.

i've just done an update & there's still no 'catch up' tab in the on demand section

what you've mentioned seems to have happened though, if you go, box sets > all > boardwalk empire, season 4 is there and can be downloaded (sd anyway) but if you use the new search feature only the TV stuff shows up, ep.4 and 5

however for QI both TV & on demand are shown when using search

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

peking97 wrote: »
    It's now delayed until 25th!

Looks like we may have the 3player as part of the ROI service, if it does stick to the new schedule of launch Monday.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1912070

Have noticed that last night's episode of The Walking Dead is downloadable in HD now compared to the earlier season 4 episodes which still say an upgrade in sub needed if you try to download. Hopefully means Fox's content is part of the service too.

Advertisement