Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kicked out of the US over a twitter Joke.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Freddie59 wrote: »
    RichieC wrote: »
    Patriot act.

They were fcuked out for being two thickeens really.

More likely the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Check out the picture on OP's link

She seems to be holding the handle of her suitcase with a certain amount of passion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

This is not a surprise with it comes to the Yanks and I suppose in a way they are right to be worried considering 9/11 and all that.

Freddie bends over backwards to defend ridiculous actions by the US. my bet he is american pretending to be irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Freddie bends over backwards to defend ridiculous actions by the US. my bet he is american pretending to be irish.

Still wearing the 1960s Che G T-Shirt Richie?:D

Cianos wrote: »
    It's one thing saying "I have a bomb lol" to the check in desk, it's another tweeting something so meaningless and unspecific.

How many times have you heard bands etc rattle on about "conquering America"...it's the same thing.

When censorship reaches this level of paranoia, lacking any application of common sense at the mercy of individual freedom it does well to reinforce the climate of fear often spoken about.

Conquering America does not equal 'Destroy America'. Taken out of context? Probably (look at what we say here - the place is destroyed, etc).

But you're going abroad. When in Rome, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

They were also searched for shovels – after border agents voiced suspicions Bunting would act as a look-out while Van Bryan raided the Hollywood starlet’s tomb.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Conquering America does not equal 'Destroy America'. Taken out of context? Probably (look at what we say here - the place is destroyed, etc).

But you're going abroad. When in Rome, etc.

They weren't in Rome America, they were going to Rome America.

So now everyone planning a trip away to the states has to censor everything they say publicly before hand no matter how mundane and trivial in case poor little America gets a bit of a fright. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Jaysus America is some shít hole alright, I cannot believe they'd take action like that what a bunch of filthy Communists..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Cianos wrote: »
    They weren't in Rome America, they were going to Rome America.

So now everyone planning a trip away to the states has to censor everything they say publicly before hand no matter how mundane and trivial in case poor little America gets a bit of a fright. :rolleyes:
    Now your getting it :P

Still wearing the 1960s Che G T-Shirt Richie?:D

LOL, touche, frederick. Touche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I would say that's terrible and OTT
    but what you put on Twitter is being publicly published with your name to it, just because it's not in print doesn't mean it doesn't matter
    and also I don't mind because he looks like a poncy twonk who was saying ****e, if he was standing up for what he believed in [that wasn't hate] fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Failing to see the problem. Stupid person makes stupid tweet which could be misconstrued. Stupid person gets told to f**k off back home as a result of his idiotic action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TroikaBox

Idiots. You don't post **** like that under your own name and not expect the homeland security of one of the most paranoid countries in the world to hand your ass to you on a plate. I can't say I feel sorry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

To be fair, while I have thought on occasion the Americans are over the top with their rules and regulations, I don't think any of us could really blame them after what happened on 9/11.

Imagine the same thing happening here in Ireland......would we ever completely trust anyone again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

To be fair, while I have thought on occasion the Americans are over the top with their rules and regulations, I don't think any of us could really blame them after what happened on 9/11.

Imagine the same thing happening here in Ireland......would we ever completely trust anyone again?
    We have had a few terrorist attacks in Ireland, Audrey.

About three years ago I got off a boat and strolled out onto the street and into a taxi in liverpool. England.

3,000 died over 30-40 years. And think how het up we get over it.

They lost that many in one day.

3,000 died over 30-40 years. And think how het up we get over it.

They lost that many in one day.

You cannot expect to act as the US do on the world stage and not be hit with blowback. Even the pentagon acknowlege this. Will it change their ways? fk no. Terror attacks on the "homeland" are great agenda setters.

You cannot expect to act as the US do on the world stage and not be hit with blowback. Even the pentagon acknowlege this. Will it change their ways? fk no. Terror attacks on the "homeland" are great agenda setters.

Yeah, I suppose that justifies it Richie.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It's actually you doing the justifying here. Gods it's like debating a plank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The pair were held by armed guards and quizzed for five hours before being handcuffed

I wouldn't mind putting Emily in handcuffs and eh, AHEM, well ye know, giving her a right good interrogation. I'd make her sweat! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

What a miserable looking pair of eejits

Well, they're hardly gonna look happy about it, are they? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

So the US homeland security has certain words flagged to show up. I would have expected that, I'd also imagine the Irish government is doing the very same. Don't really get what the big deal is..unfortunate couple of tweets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

May I take this opportunity to say what a wonderful country the US is and to say a big Irish hello to everyone in law enforcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

doomed wrote: »
    May I take this opportunity to say what a wonderful country the US is and to say a big Irish hello to everyone in law enforcement.
    That won't get anywhere, here's how you word it. "May I take this opportunity to say what great crack the US is and to say a big Irish hello to everyone in law enforcement" :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Brill: They get into your bank statements, computer files, email, listen to your phone calls... Every wire, every airwave. The more technology used, the easier it is for them to keep tabs on you.

It's a brave new world out there.

At least it'd better be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    They do a lot more than that, businesses were advised by the EU to transmit all communications in an encrypted form due to concerns about interception by the Echelon program. Just basically assume every single email, message, phone call, facebook or boards post, anything sent over an electronic medium is wide open to security analysts.
    Including this thread. Hi Mr. Analyst?

No, but it is a 1st amendment violation, surely?
    Nope.. well for one, he wasn't even in the US when he said it, or a US citizen. For the other, nobody infringed on his right to say "I'm going to go destroy America", Homeland Security basically just exercised it's authority to say 'yeah no, you aren't welcome.'

In addition there are limits to free speech, such as incitement to violence, or prime examples such as yelling out "Fire!" in a crowded theater, or "Bomb!" on an airplane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mr. Analyst

Overheal wrote: »
    Including this thread. Hi Mr. Analyst?
    Hi.

• Advertisement

Hi.
    Sup Doc?

Brill: They get into your bank statements, computer files, email, listen to your phone calls... Every wire, every airwave. The more technology used, the easier it is for them to keep tabs on you.

It's a brave new world out there.

At least it'd better

Oh but dont worry, they need a court order to spy on you if youre a yank.. :rolleyes:

its us foreigners that dont have the right to privacy... Imagine a brown country was intercepting their private communications... Bunch of fking hypocrites

Oh but dont worry, they need a court order to spy on you if youre a yank.. :rolleyes:

its us foreigners that dont have the right to privacy... Imagine a brown country was intercepting their private communications... Bunch of fking hypocrites
    No they can monitor any of my public access internet content to their hearts content. The spying you speak of refers to things like wiretaps and putting GPS devices on my car. Essentially they can scour your post history here if they really wanted to, or bloody well have the time.

One of the conditions for keeping up the visa waiver scheme to enter the US was that governments of countries participating including Ireland and most of the EU would be the surrendering of personal details of those wishing to travel to the US, This would include personal records registered to that person.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57945193

We were Initially lead to believe that the above would help track down terrorists but instead only turns the US into a paranoid kip of a country that less and less ordinary people will want to visit.

So basically the US authorities would have demanded the details from the UK authorities on these two and ran a buzz word search through them.
    This case is the above coming to the worst and I am sure we will hear plenty more of them down the line.

At least in the old days if there was an issue over a visa application it was a simple trip to the US Embassy in Ballsbridge to sort out the problem. Today these simple issues could be quite a costly in wasted flights and also possibly land you behind bars in a foreign country.

Im gonna guess my email to then president bush would probably stop my entry..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Sindri wrote: »
    , Facebook tracks the sites you visit even if you're logged out. ?

Is that actually true? Sorry but it sounds like some rubbish you would read on the CT forum by the same retards who believe there were bombs planted in the WTC to bring down the towers, or who had already dediced that the Bin Laden hit had been stage managed within two mins of hearing rumour that it may have happened.

And that the planes were holograms.

And that George Bush directed the whole thing using a Gameboy while doing that school reading in Florida.

And that instead of a mouth Bin Laden had four arses. And a tremendous fear of stamps.

Even if it was true, wouldnt it hold up half the people entering? Im interested in the news. Ive read a sh1tload on Wikipedia on Al Quaeda figures, Gaddafi, Saddam etc etc. Anyone whos interest in the world extends beyond Jersey Shore and the Sunday Independent, and therefore isnt retarded, probably has as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

No they can monitor any of my public access internet content to their hearts content. The spying you speak of refers to things like wiretaps and putting GPS devices on my car. Essentially they can scour your post history here if they really wanted to, or bloody well have the time.
    it's monitored by programs which are tuned to watch for certain key phrases or combinations of activities which have been deemed suspicious. If something gets noticed, then you get the guy in the suit looking at it.

Which means that the only people who will ever be "caught" using this process are numpties like these guys who put the words "destroy" and "America" in one sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

LittleBook wrote: »
    Which means that the only people who will ever be "caught" using this process are numpties like these guys who put the words "destroy" and "America" in one sentence?

You just did it there. Dam it, now that I've quoted it I did it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Is that actually true? Sorry but it sounds like some rubbish you would read on the CT forum

They might do it for collecting stats and what not and it wouldn't be too difficult to implement either.

Seems entirely likely imo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

LighterGuy wrote: »
    That is insane :eek:
    So some guy made a joke on twitter, and then homeland security held him upon entry?

its pretty obvious how they knew. flagged words used such as 'Destroy america' brought it to their attention... Therefore every twitter is being monitered. Facebook has to be too.

His iPhone apparently autocorrected "Detroit, America".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

In addition there are limits to free speech, such as incitement to violence, or prime examples such as yelling out "Fire!" in a crowded theater, or "Bomb!" on an airplane.

It's a limited analogy because it doesn't take into account the intent of the alleged incitement.

In this case it's clear (to us at least) that there was no reasonable intent to cause public alarm by posting this on twitter, as it couldn't seriously be interpreted as a threat by most reasonable people. The fact that it was seen as such by US immigration is unfortunate.

Im gonna guess my email to then president bush would probably stop my entry..
    knowing you? probably.

Peanut wrote: »
    It's a limited analogy because it doesn't take into account the intent of the alleged incitement.

In this case it's clear (to us at least) that there was no reasonable intent to cause public alarm by posting this on twitter, as it couldn't seriously be interpreted as a threat by most reasonable people. The fact that it was seen as such by US immigration is unfortunate.
    As I said, the tweet didn't even come close to being a First Amendment issue. I don't know what you're trying to argue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

As I said, the tweet didn't even come close to being a First Amendment issue. I don't know what you're trying to argue.

Wasn't referencing the first amendment, rather the analogy of shouting "Fire!" for the purpose of causing public disorder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Any fool who makes such nonsense statements deserve to get kicked out. Twat-slap

manual_man wrote: »
    Any fool who makes such nonsense statements deserve to get kicked out. Twat-slap
    What about freedom of speech, it should be up to the US authorities to train their idiot intelligence officers on basic slang terminology and context dialogue. No hard-line international terrorist is going to communicate using a public forum not alone use obvious terrorist related keywords.

9/11 is doing exactly what it intended to do and that is to turn the US into a paranoid soviet style police state.

What about freedom of speech, it should be up to the US authorities to train their idiot intelligence officers on basic slang terminology and context dialogue. No hard-line international terrorist is going to communicate using a public forum not alone use obvious terrorist related keywords.

9/11 is doing exactly what it intended to do and that is to turn the US into a paranoid soviet style police state.

The idiots shouldnt have made such remarks. Full stop. If you're thick enough to post somethin like that on Twitter, you can't have any complaint for gettin booted out. I find it quite hilarious

The idiots shouldnt have made such remarks. Full stop. If you're thick enough to post somethin like that on Twitter, you can't have any complaint for gettin booted out. I find it quite hilarious

Stupid! yes, freedom of speech = RIP!

dolanbaker wrote: »

Stupid! yes, freedom of speech = RIP!

There's no one saying there's no freedom of speech... no one was stopping the people saying what they said... but there's also freedom for a country to let who they want in to their country or not. So freedom all round, yay

• Advertisement
Advertisement