Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food, Glorious Food

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Gourmet geniuses, I come with a humble question. Can anyone recommend a decent food-eating facility around South Bank slash London Bridge? I fancy stretching my taste buds this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Reekwind wrote: »
    Gourmet geniuses, I come with a humble question. Can anyone recommend a decent food-eating facility around South Bank slash London Bridge? I fancy stretching my taste buds this weekend

Mango Tree is an Indian close to London Bridge and its great. More modern Indian than a typical curry house

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

I have a really good pre-theatre meal in Five Guys yesterday.

Veggie sandwich with cheese, cajun fries and more Coke than I would normally drink in a month (free refills).

I went at about 6pm and it was busy but there was only about a ten minute wait for food. By 6.30 there were 50 people queuing outside. I'd never queue for it but I will be back. I'm thinking the cajun fries with a bottle of Punk IPA would be a nice snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Applebee's Fish shop on Borough market do quite a good dinner service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Five guys do a nice burger! Glad to hear they have come to London. Went to Meat Liquor a couple of weeks back and walked out without ordering as the staff were so rude. Cant be arsed giving money to a place no matter how good a burger they do if the staff treat you like crap... think it may have become a victim of its own popularity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If you're around Kilburn there are a couple of recent new openings that are pretty good IMO - Caldo for Spanish food and Ostuni for Italian (specifically Puglian) food. Nom nom nom says it all for me :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I'm not into all this burger mullarkey that much but I've been to Hache which was quite good, and most recently Honest in Brixton Village. There's an Honest in Soho now too, best burger I've had here I think.
    I'm finding it incredibly hard not to be a disgusting fat bastard pig living in this city. Too many options :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

For all the burger lovers, apparently it's Burger Day so Mr Hyde have a 20% discount voucher on loads of yummy burgers across London:

http://burgerday.shortlist-apps.com/

Seeing how today goes at work, I might be tempted to use the offer myself later...

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Went to Five Guys in Covent Garden tonight.

Verdict?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I hit Five Guys in Angel last month, granted I was manked out of my tree but it really was a delicious burger.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Just to give y'all the heads up. The people behind MEATliquor are opening a new burger place in Covent Garden, MEATmarket. Slightly different set up to meatliquor, looks interesting and the food will be just as good.

Trying to find out when it officially opens, but there are some reviews already up like here.

Is there one in Shelbyville?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Plum Valley in Soho

http://plumvalleylondon.com/

A million miles ahead of any other place I've eaten in China town (mostly crap tbh).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Plum Valley in Soho

A million miles ahead of any other place I've eaten in China town (mostly crap tbh).

No way, me and my gf have been eyeing up that place for a while now, looks lovely from the outside and not tatty like the rest of the Chinatown dives. Must give it a whirl soon!

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    No way, me and my gf have been eyeing up that place for a while now, looks lovely from the outside and not tatty like the rest of the Chinatown dives. Must give it a whirl soon!

It's really nice inside as well. I highly recommend the beef rendang!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Song Que in Hoxton. Went there today for lunch for a bowl of pho (noodle soup) with steak, flank and tripe. Lethal tack altogether and surprisingly filling!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

It's really nice inside as well. I highly recommend the beef rendang!

Been searching for a good rendang since i moved here.

Cheers for the heads up!!

frag420 wrote: »
    Been searching for a good rendang since i moved here.

Ekachai also does really delicious beef rendang. Good spot for a quick bite imo and reasonably priced. They have restaurants in Wandsworth, Oxford St. and Liverpool St.

http://ekachai.co.uk/

Ekachai also does really delicious beef rendang. Good spot for a quick bite imo and reasonably priced. They have restaurants in Wandsworth, Oxford St. and Liverpool St.

Its two mins from the office, thats fridays lunch sorted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Plum Valley in Soho

What's it like on the inside? Any room for a decent sized party?

If anyone else has any suggestions for a party of a dozen in Soho then please let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

If anyone else has any suggestions for a party of a dozen in Soho then please let me know

if you're thinking of Chinese then maybe Barshu?

I think there were a few large groups on the evening I ate there. Food was excellent.

• Advertisement

It's very nicely finished on the inside and seems to be over a couple of floors. Last time I wandered in there were 7 or 8 of us and we got a large table no bother. They can definitely accommodate 12 somewhere in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Been to both of these places a few times for work dos - they both handle large groups well:

www.meleepere.co.uk
    www.navarros-tapas-london.co.uk

Finally popped into the L'Pool st branch yesterday for lunch.

Sweet Zombie Jesus it was delish! One of the tastiest Rendangs I have tasted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

For serious burger fans:

http://www.designmynight.com/london/events/burger-fest-2014?utm_source=Lightbulb+subscribers&utm_campaign=0708671c8d-Lightbulb_Rumble_Part_Deux2_21_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e7d5518c61-0708671c8d-59173233

Advanced Tickets are £35, but include 5 half burgers, a bacon & maple syrup burger cupcake (veggie option available), with a side of vanilla cookie fries for dessert from. If you arrive before 5.30pm, you'll get a free bottle of BrewDog beer.

For serious burger fans:

http://www.designmynight.com/london/events/burger-fest-2014?utm_source=Lightbulb+subscribers&utm_campaign=0708671c8d-Lightbulb_Rumble_Part_Deux2_21_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e7d5518c61-0708671c8d-59173233

Advanced Tickets are £35, but include 5 half burgers, a bacon & maple syrup burger cupcake (veggie option available), with a side of vanilla cookie fries for dessert from. If you arrive before 5.30pm, you'll get a free bottle of BrewDog beer.

3bfcc3f8_homer-simpson-drooling-261x300.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Can anyone recommend somewhere in central or west of the city that does good burritos? Chipotle near Leicester Square has been my go to place for the past while though their choice is quite limited

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Harps wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend somewhere in central or west of the city that does good burritos? Chipotle near Leicester Square has been my go to place for the past while though their choice is quite limited

I'm a big fan of Wahaca, and I reckon it's probably your best bet for quality. There's one in Covent Garden, but my experience is that it tends to be quite busy. There's also a Benitos Hat a couple of streets away and a Tortilla at the bottom of The Strand, but I suspect they're along the same lines as Chipotle. Lupita on Villiers street is also decent.

There's also Cafe Pacifico and La Perla (both part of the same group and in Covent Garden) - I've not been to La Perla but Cafe Pacifico was good.

Indian place: Meraz Café just off Brick Lane. I've been to Lahore, Tayyabs etc. and this place is still the best food imo.

http://merazcafe.co.uk//

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Fysh wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Wahaca, and I reckon it's probably your best bet for quality. There's one in Covent Garden, but my experience is that it tends to be quite busy. There's also a Benitos Hat a couple of streets away and a Tortilla at the bottom of The Strand, but I suspect they're along the same lines as Chipotle. Lupita on Villiers street is also decent.

There's also Cafe Pacifico and La Perla (both part of the same group and in Covent Garden) - I've not been to La Perla but Cafe Pacifico was good.

I've tried wahaca before but the one I went to only had three different burritos on the menu with no option to choose your own ingredients, nice enough burritos though to be fair. Never heard of the rest so I'll try and get to one of them next weekend.

Thanks!

Advertisement