Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bike24 credit card security

Options
  • 30-01-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

anyone ever been asked to show a picture of their card (with the numbers blacked out) to confirm that the card is their own by bike 24?

seems a bit odd to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have heard of similar practices before, but that was years ago, and I've never been asked for it by bike24.

Is there anything unusual about your order - particularly expensive, odd delivery address, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭byebye

G rock wrote: »
    anyone ever been asked to show a picture of their card (with the numbers blacked out) to confirm that the card is their own by bike 24?

seems a bit odd to me

Yep first order with bike24 asked me for same thing! its just a way of making sure you are who you say i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

G rock wrote: »
    seems a bit odd to me

They're German, we're Irish.
    They know stuff.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

FYP :o
    furiousox wrote: »
    They're German, we're Irish.
    They don't trust us.................anymore !!

....just to add, I've never had a problem with them in the past, and reasonable delivery aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

seamus wrote: »
    I have heard of similar practices before, but that was years ago, and I've never been asked for it by bike24.

Is there anything unusual about your order - particularly expensive, odd delivery address, etc?

new group and a few other things, and it's being delivered to somewhere that isn't my home address so i suppose that they're just being cautious.
    Yep first order with bike24 asked me for same thing! its just a way of making sure you are who you say i think.

this is my first order with them as well. glad to hear that someone else had the same thing happen with them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

That happened to me at my very1st purchase with them in 2006. Since then, they haven't asked again.
    They would do that in Germany, they're not too keen on CC transactions. They usually prefer bank transfers. I worked for Paypal for many years and they had to change things specifically for Germany to accommodate their fear of Credit Cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i cant specifically remember them asking me for this - it sounds like the kind of thing that would make me shop elsewhere and ive spent the guts of a 700 quid with them in the past 6 months.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I don't remember being asked for this but then my first order was quite small (~50 euro).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

penexpers wrote: »
    I don't remember being asked for this but then my first order was quite small (~50 euro).

Never been asked and I've made a high value order with them before (but delivered to home address).

Germans prefer bank transfers and debit cards (They used EC cards as debit/ATM cards before the Euro came in). Even now, many, if not most firms don't accept CC and those that do, pass the surcharge on to you. Would't bother me if they asked for a photo of my card etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I was asked for this when ordering a groupset from them. Everything went smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

thanks all,

i was a bit put out by the request to be honest, but at least i now know that others have had the same happen them and that all went smoothly!

still though, it wouldn't particularly encourage me to spend with them again.

(until the next time they have the cheapest price on an item i need!)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

Yesterday I received a credit card verification email from Bike24 and my order is on hold. They say that they have sent 0.83c to my credit card and I have to send it back. I have no idea how to do this. Has anyone had a similar experience and can advise?

First time Bike24 have done this to me. I have purchased many times with the same credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

Never heard of that before,best bet is to call your bank visa section and ask them if its legit or possible even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Dragging up a 4 year old thread certainly won't fix it. ;)

I wouldn't be sending any money to them. If they do insist send them the money through PayPal.

It all sounds very odd though.

Think ringing my bank is the best port of call to begin with. Thanks. It's frustrating for my order to be held up though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Euppy wrote: »
    Yesterday I received a credit card verification email from Bike24 and my order is on hold. They say that they have sent 0.83c to my credit card and I have to send it back. I have no idea how to do this. Has anyone had a similar experience and can advise?

First time Bike24 have done this to me. I have purchased many times with the same credit card.

Yes, they did this with me 2-3 months ago when I purchased a helmet. It proves you own the credit card I guess. I had never heard of it before either. I didn't want to wait for the money to come through from them so paid with paypay and kept their 0.12c :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Just email them and tell them you received 0.83c and that should be the proof required for them to proceed

So i think a combination of me reading the email too quick and german english confused matters. They send a small amount to your credit card and you reply via email how much it was. Took about 5/6 days to appear on my statements though. Minor annoyance in the end.

Advertisement