Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC - Code tamper

Options
  • 30-01-2012 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I have a securewave alarm with GSMP unit. Last night the alarm sent a text stating "Code Tamper". After a quick search it appears that this is triggered by failed login attempts. I had not entered any failed attempts.

The weird thing is, after checking the on-line account of the SIM (and later confirmed in the event log of the gsm unit) I saw the alarm had sent a text earlier in the evening to a mobile number I don't recognise.

My question is, how could the alarm send a text to this number? (how could it know of it's existence)
    Am I right in thinking someone must have text it first to trigger a response from the alarm? Is anyone aware of any incidents of people attempting to override these alarms using text?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bocoip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

bocoip wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a securewave alarm with GSMP unit. Last night the alarm sent a text stating "Code Tamper". After a quick search it appears that this is triggered by failed login attempts. I had not entered any failed attempts.

The weird thing is, after checking the on-line account of the SIM (and later confirmed in the event log of the gsm unit) I saw the alarm had sent a text earlier in the evening to a mobile number I don't recognise.

My question is, how could the alarm send a text to this number? (how could it know of it's existence)
    Am I right in thinking someone must have text it first to trigger a response from the alarm? Is anyone aware of any incidents of people attempting to override these alarms using text?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bocoip

I would say someone texted the number by mistake and keep texting the unit once they got a reply.
    Without the code the alarm wont set or unset remotely by text.
    Did you ring the number it replied to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bocoip

Hi altor,

After another look there were 3 different numbers I didn't recognise. It seems the first two produced "invalid code" and the 3rd triggered the "code tamper". As you say might have texted the number by mistake and then being curious tried to it again.

Is it possible to see the contents of the text message sent? I tried taking out the sim and checking on a phone but it doesn't appear to have stored any texts.

Cheers,
    bocoip

Hi altor,

After another look there were 3 different numbers I didn't recognise. It seems the first two produced "invalid code" and the 3rd triggered the "code tamper". As you say might have texted the number by mistake and then being curious tried to it again.

Is it possible to see the contents of the text message sent? I tried taking out the sim and checking on a phone but it doesn't appear to have stored any texts.

Cheers,
    bocoip

I would say that was the case also, replacing the sim I would recommend. Put the sim into a phone and see if you get anymore messages. There is no way to get contents of the texts.

Can I simply insert another sim or would it have to be programmed in any way?

Thanks
    bocoip

Can I simply insert another sim or would it have to be programmed in any way?

Thanks
    bocoip

All you have to do is turn the pin code off on the sim, down power the GSM and put in the new sim.

The system is already programmed.

• Advertisement

I'll do that so, Thanks for your help

I'll do that so, Thanks for your help

Your welcome, hopefully that will sort it for you.

Hi Altor,

I replaced the SIM the other day which registered fine and I was able to send a test message etc. Today the alarm box outside was flashing (but alarm wasn't ringing). Looking at the GSM log I see the following entries:

1. Code Tamper - My number (after seeing the flashing light I sent a text to see status but got nothing back)
    2. SMS FTC - 00236930
    3. Invalid Code - 00236930
    4. Invalid Code - 00236930

Do you recognised these log entries with 00236930?

Thanks,
    bocoip

Actually I think these numbers were from promotional texts sent by the operator. I have requested that they no longer send these - will see how I get on

SMS FTC: This means that the sim failed to communicate.
    Have you got a good signal where the GSM is installed?

• Advertisement

signal is reasonably good...i'll let you know if stopping the promotional texts improves anything

signal is reasonably good...i'll let you know if stopping the promotional texts improves anything

Do, also check by means of the test text that it is contacting all the numbers you have programmed into the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 burgerland

Hi,

I have an HKC 8/12 Panel with a GSM-P and every now and then Three send promotional texts to the sim even though I have been onto to them multiple times to get the number removed from marketing - they advise me they cant guarantee that the sim wont receive "service announcement texts".

Anyway I am wondering when the Alarm triggers with "Code Tamper" why I cant unset it by text - is it that the Alarm is refusing communication via GSM because the Code Tamper originated there? Its a bit annoying as I have to get a family member to call to the house to unset the Alarm every time this happens (about 3 times a year)

Any advice much appreciated as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

burgerland wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an HKC 8/12 Panel with a GSM-P and every now and then Three send promotional texts to the sim even though I have been onto to them multiple times to get the number removed from marketing - they advise me they cant guarantee that the sim wont receive "service announcement texts".

Anyway I am wondering when the Alarm triggers with "Code Tamper" why I cant unset it by text - is it that the Alarm is refusing communication via GSM because the Code Tamper originated there? Its a bit annoying as I have to get a family member to call to the house to unset the Alarm every time this happens (about 3 times a year)

Any advice much appreciated as always.

It is indeed, a logical security mechanism steps in and the keypad has to used.

Advertisement