Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do

Options
  • 30-01-2012 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Ok, im applying to go back to college full time, but my mind keeps changing in relation as to what course to do. I am applying through the CAO. Basically im in my thirties, married with children and I want to do a course that more or less guarentees me a job (and yes I know theres no such thing). Anyway I was thinking of Social care/Nursing/Child develpement. Im open to other courses as well. I have enough points from my leaving cert to get in to these courses. Im at a stage where I want a career, and no Im not sure exactly what I want to do, but I dont care once it pays the mortgage etc (and I really dont). I would love to hear of people who have completed courses and who went on to find employment etc. What area do you think there will be jobs in 4 years time. My background is HR but there was few jobs in the good times and is even fewer now. All suggestions v welcome. Thank you :):)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

IT seems to be the way to go if you want a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BACKTOTHEPAST

Yes Hank it does, Education is the only way now. But i dont want to study for 4years and not get a job that will bring me in a good enough salary down the line..if i was 18 again i wouldnt be as bothered but I aint :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I think Hank meant IT as in Information Technology ;)

And he's correct, IT is the industry that is best holding it's own at the minute in Ireland, I've been a programmer for two years now in a small Irish software house and have a decent salary and decent job security, I also have recruiters seeking me out rather than the other way round.

As long as minister Sherlock doesn't enact this crazy bill and scare off the likes of Google and Facebook then IT is the industry to be aiming to be in after four years in college.

Social Care/Nursing/Child development wouldn't be too bad I'd imagine but far from guaranteed a job after 4 years.

hahaha, that shows how long out of the game I am.. IT info tech..thanks for pointing that out 2 me :)

Ok how would you know if you would be any good at IT? What qualities do you think you should posesss, apart from knowing what "IT" stands for. Im open to anything, what are would you suggest someone like me starts studying? Thank you

Have a look at the DKIT computing course, in its first year it covers the three primary areas of IT, Networking, Support and Software development.

Heres the outline - http://ww2.dkit.ie/schools_and_departments/imcm/computing_mathematics/courses/dk721

It's good because if your not sure what you want to do first year covers all the bases and you can decide what strand to continue on in 2nd year.

However you should have a genuine interest in what course you choose or you'll find it hard to keep going to class.

• Advertisement

Thank you draffodx I appreciate your help, To be honest thats all double dutch to me, I would regard myself as somewhat intelligent but Its a good while since I did my leaving, would someone like myself grasp IT having been out of school/work for a few years. Im not afraid of a computer or anything, and willing to work hard, but I wonder is IT meant for those who are whizz's at maths/physics etc...?? thanks you again

Not at all, physics or math's were never my strong points but I really enjoyed the software course and have been in an enjoyable job for two years now thanks to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

maybe try the springboard courses. I think theres one in cloud computing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I'm third year Midwifery. Nursing/midwifery courses are great but pretty tough going. If you're thinking about nursing/midwifery you need to be very sure that you want to work in that area, otherwise it'll be a lot of stress and toil for little reward.

You'd imagine midwives would get jobs on qualifcation pretty easily, after all, people aren't going to just stop having babies... but the chances of us getting jobs when we qualify are looking fairly grim at present due to the recruitment embargo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

draffodx wrote: »
    Have a look at the DKIT computing course, in its first year it covers the three primary areas of IT, Networking, Support and Software development.

Heres the outline - http://ww2.dkit.ie/schools_and_departments/imcm/computing_mathematics/courses/dk721

It's good because if your not sure what you want to do first year covers all the bases and you can decide what strand to continue on in 2nd year.

However you should have a genuine interest in what course you choose or you'll find it hard to keep going to class.

Im in the 3rd year of this course in applications & support, it has helped me to already have experience in IT but there are people in my class who knew nothing about IT in first year and they are coping fine(for the most part!)

• Advertisement

Thank you Monkey, embee, Rossin, Draffodx, Hankjones for all of your advice I really appreciate it. However im still not sure, I thinks its June/July I have on CAO for change of mind. But your posts have given me some thoughts as to what to do. I shall let you know what I decide on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Hi OP,
    Just a suggestion, have you considered visiting to a career guidence councellor?
    It might be worth your while meeting up with one and having a chat for an hour or two.
    I remember visiting the college career guidence officer in DKIT about 3 years ago as I wanted to make sure the course I was doing was what I was looking for. Now I'm not sure if they only deal with students or if they also meet prospective students, but it might be worth your while giving them a shout and seeing would they be willing to meet you.
    (At the very least, It might be handy free advice!:))
    Here's a link to the Student Services page, there's a link on it to gradireland's "self assessment report" aswell.
    See how you fare out with it's free test!
    All the best with it.

Thank you Panthro, Im going to try that test as soon as kids in bed:) I think you are right it might be worth ringing the career guidence, Im open to anything that will make my mind up. Thank you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Anyone going to suggest doing whatever the OP thinks they would be good at and probably more successful at than picking a career based on potential earnings?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Cc87 I have to agree.

I'm a building surveyor, recently graduated from Dundalk. I'm freelancing a the minute and loving the work that I do and slowly making a name for myself.

Why do something that may make you a lot of money but that you don't love / like?

If I didn't like construction / surveying I would not have gotten through 4 years of college purely on "potential earnings".

OP what do you like?

Advertisement