Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old boats

Options
  • 30-01-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I'm doing a photography project based on old boats, If anyone knows the location where there are boats, in unusual places or just unusual boats in the Northwest area especially for me to take photos of, condition of boats unimportant ( Rusty, broke in 2, Rotten,Whatever, would you please let me know.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Try down by the Yacht Club or Lifeboat Station in Rosses Point. There were a few old boats there in dry dock an moored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

there is a broken down old boat at rosses point, it's on the left as you past the protestant church as you come onto the promenade. background is pretty scenic so it's worth a shot.

i heard there are some of the old butter boats at streedagh as well, they are just the skeleton of them like the ribs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭OhYesItIs

Around Killaspugbrone/Dorrins Strand there are a few moored up on the grass.

Mullaghmore, Raghley Pier and the harbour at Killala.

But I'm sure if you pull in around any of the coastal spots you'll find a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Donal 1957

Thanks for comments so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

There used to be a concrete one off ballina, not sure if it is still there, down past the ice house hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

dingding wrote: »
    There used to be a concrete one off ballina, not sure if it is still there, down past the ice house hotel.

It is indeed still there - a most unusual sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

There might still be the ribs/mast of one on the Quays in Sligo, beside the carpark....when I was a kid, it was fairly intact, although that was two decades ago....!

I think the mast still sticks out at high tide, dunno how much of the ribs are left, but it might be interesting at low tide?

Another option is if you have any friends with boats, there is the shipwreck midway out from town to Rosses Point, but you'd want someone with good knowledge of the area, so's not toend up stranded on the same sandbank!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Walk accross the foot bridge from Millbrook to the Mall and there is half a boat under the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

There used to be a few derelict boats out at Racecourse Bay as you drive in to Half-moon Bay in Hazelwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 karlalb10n

I was married to one

Sorry, thought the title was "old BOOTS"

• Advertisement

promethius wrote: »
    there is a broken down old boat at rosses point, it's on the left as you past the protestant church as you come onto the promenade. background is pretty scenic so it's worth a shot.

i heard there are some of the old butter boats at streedagh as well, they are just the skeleton of them like the ribs.

Yes got that one this evening, this is a 52 week project, one photo per week so have a lot of boat's to get yet so all is appreciated, this is this weeks photo from the boat in rosses point http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150532400609495&set=a.10150532400349495.385565.534154494&type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Great picture. Will you post links to your other ones? I'd love to see them :)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Great picture. Will you post links to your other ones? I'd love to see them :)

no problem, will be putting them up on Flicker starting Fri and every Fri after, here is a link to other stuff if you want to have a look http://www.flickr.com/photos/donalhackett/collections/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

shannon harbour around banagher is a grave yard for boats loads there

duckysauce wrote: »

Thanks

itac wrote: »
    There might still be the ribs/mast of one on the Quays in Sligo, beside the carpark....when I was a kid, it was fairly intact, although that was two decades ago....!

I think the mast still sticks out at high tide, dunno how much of the ribs are left, but it might be interesting at low tide?

Another option is if you have any friends with boats, there is the shipwreck midway out from town to Rosses Point, but you'd want someone with good knowledge of the area, so's not toend up stranded on the same sandbank!
    Yes had seen them there recently and intent to photograph them when conditions are write. Actualy would love to know the name and history of it if anyone has any information on it. Thanks.

promethius wrote: »

Yes have that one in mind

karlalb10n wrote: »
    I was married to one

Sorry, thought the title was "old BOOTS"

Like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

There's a few out on the flats in Portavade, Beltra/Dromard, Sligo.

Donal 1957 wrote: »
    duckysauce wrote: »

Thanks
    That looks pretty good with the mountain in the background. On my list. Thanks Donal

• Advertisement

There were a couple along Markievicz Road in the town. Near the green area with the benches near the new bridge. AT least one old wooden hulled quarter decker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Donal, this may be outside your chosen area, but I spotted what looked like an old replica viking boat outside a warehouse in Athlone today. Its behind the IT and I think its Blyrie is the area. theres a section cut out of the side it. Could'nt get a photo on the phone due to heavy traffic.

red sean wrote: »
    Donal, this may be outside your chosen area, but I spotted what looked like an old replica viking boat outside a warehouse in Athlone today. Its behind the IT and I think its Blyrie is the area. theres a section cut out of the side it. Could'nt get a photo on the phone due to heavy traffic.

thank's, will be checking that one out

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fid10

Drive by Lough Talt on your way to photograph the concrete boat in Ballina.

There are two old boats at the side of the lake (Ballina end), and in fine weather you will get some lovely shots.

The road 'round Lough Talt to Ballina is a nice spin, do it in reverse and you can shoot down to Lough Easkey after passing Talt. A favorite cycle route of mine and well worth it.

Also head out to Rockly, few options for you on the point.

Advertisement