Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Value Blu Ray Player - Advice Please

• 30-01-2012 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,

Am looking into getting a blu-ray player to go with my new TV. Problem is I don't know what represents value for money.

Someone mentioned a PS3 as it has blu ray plus I can let the kids have a go when I'm finished with it.

As for usage, it'll get low usage as I don't watch that many movies (at the moment).
    Maybe 3D capability would be nice as the TV is 3D and I have the glasses too but it's not a deal breaker.

What I'm looking for is the best balance between quality/features/price

Any help would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭andy1249

PS3 sounds like the unit for you then.

The Blu ray player is as good as any other , as far as playing back Blu rays goes , its a level playing field , with no player having any advantage over any other in terms of picture quality or sound quality, it upscales DVD's superbly , it does games , plays media files , etc.

It also does 3D for both games and Blu rays.

If your feeding through an av receiver though , it won't do the new HD sound codecs , if you don't know what they are , then the PS3 is for you , best value for money overall by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

andy1249 wrote: »

If your feeding through an av receiver though , it won't do the new HD sound codecs , if you don't know what they are , then the PS3 is for you , best value for money overall by a long shot.

The ps3 does do hd audio decoding, it doesn't do hd audio bitstreaming. This just means that the av receiver has to accept uncompressed pcm audio via hdmi. The quality is exactly the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭andy1249

The ps3 does do hd audio decoding, it doesn't do hd audio bitstreaming. This just means that the av receiver has to accept uncompressed pcm audio via hdmi. The quality is exactly the same.

The Original Phats didnt do bitstreaming , just LPCM
    The Slims can bitstream HD audio

None of them do HD audio while playing 3D material. With 3D material its standard lossy DD or DTS only.

The question was about 3D capabilities , it wont do HD audio in conjuction with 3D. Thats what I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

andy1249 wrote: »
    None of them do HD audio while playing 3D material. With 3D material its standard lossy DD or DTS only.

I didn't know that, apologies for the confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Posh Boy

Thanks for the advice folks. Based on what you've said I think a PS3 will do nicely. Anyone know where the best place to get a nice 160GB slim at a good price is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Seeing as a blu ray player can be had for under 100 euros, its up to you whether you want to spend at least double that or even 250 euros for a PS3

This is based on new prices, obviously you can get cheaper second hand

http://www.currys.ie/category/Blu-Ray-DVD-Players/145.1

Plus I have heard the PS3 is quite noisey when playing stuff unless its on the hard drive

Advertisement