Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexican Night

Options
  • 30-01-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    Having a dinner party on Saturday, my first one ever btw :)
    Going for a Mexican theme. I know my mains, I'll have chicken enchiladas and also beef fajitas.
    But I'm stuck on starters as I don't want to have nachos.

Anyone have some suggestions for a Mexican starter or 2 ?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I would go with pico de gallo and guacamole with tortilla chips. I find enchiladas and fajitas very filling though so that is why I would have a smallish starter.

My pico de gallo recipe is just a few tomotoes, fresh garlic, onion. A couple of jalapenoes and a habanero chilli. Fresh coriander and lime.

Cold coronas with lime...nyom,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

What about corn and green chilli soup? Or tostados? Or prawn cocktail (the mexican version is made using a type of bloody mary mix).

Is it obvious that I bought a mexican cookbook by Thomasina Miers a couple of weeks ago, and have been trying out her recipes sine :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Love Mexican food and got Thomasina Miers "Mexican Food Made Simple" for Christmas great book. So if you are look for ideas I'd suggest googling Thomasina Miers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ah, thanks for the replies.
    Re the book, where could I pick that up, or something similar, I actually walked into Easons today but they had nothing on Mexican grub

Ps - there will be margaritas and corona launched all night ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That looks amazing!!
    Not easy to get beef cheeks, though.

There getting easier to find if you ask the butcher... My favorite cut at the moment.. Slightly addictive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Slattsy wrote: »
    Ah, thanks for the replies.
    Re the book, where could I pick that up, or something similar, I actually walked into Easons today but they had nothing on Mexican grub

Ps - there will be margaritas and corona launched all night ;)

Liking the margaritas ;)

I got my book from amazon, but if your in a hurry, go to www.foodnetwork.co.uk and search for mexican or Thomasina Miers. She does a show on it, and some of her recipes are on the website.

I can get beef cheeks in the butcher's beside me. They do sound lovely, thanks I might be brave and try that !!

• Advertisement

Nothing to be brave about, and you just trim them of any excess fat... Here's another one I use with is great for a weekend http://www.rte.ie/food/2010/0119/beefcheek.html trust me once you cook with them you'll be back for more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I seem to be surrounded by picky eaters...I'd love to try the beef cheek in those tacos, would I get away with just calling it beef to them? Is it chewy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Top Shelf Margaritas (done properly) always a good start

2 parts good quality tequila
    1 part Grand Mariner or Cointreau
    4 parts freshly squeezed lime juice
    1 parts water + 1 part sugar dissolved (simple syrup)
    Coat glass rim with coarse salt (rub with lime wedge to make salt stick)
    Serve with lots of ice and a lime wedge
    (add more simple syrup if too bitter)

The perfect start to any Mexican feast!

No seriously melt in your mouth.. Tenderest meat you'll taste

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Top Shelf Margaritas (done properly) always a good start

2 parts good quality tequila
    1 part Grand Mariner or Cointreau
    4 parts freshly squeezed lime juice
    1 parts water + 1 part sugar dissolved (simple syrup)
    Coat glass rim with coarse salt (rub with lime wedge to make salt stick)
    Serve with lots of ice and a lime wedge
    (add more simple syrup if too bitter)

The perfect start to any Mexican feast!

Sounds class, makes me want to go for cocktails after work !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

MEXICAN RICE

• 2 medium ripe tomatoes cored and quartered
    • 1 medium onion, preferably white, peeled, trimmed of root end, and quartered
    • 3 medium jalapeno chiles
    • 400 grams long-grain white rice
    • 80ml veg oil
    • 4 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 4 teaspoons)
    • 475ml low-sodium chicken broth/stock
    • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    • fist full of minced fresh Coriander leaves
    • 1 lime, cut into wedges for serving

Directions
    1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 180 degrees. Process the tomatoes and onion in a food processor until smooth and thoroughly pureed, about 15 seconds, scraping down the bowl if necessary. Transfer the mixture to a liquid measuring jug; you should have 475 ml (if necessary, spoon off excess so that the volume equals 475 cups). Remove the ribs and seeds from 2 jalapenos and discard; mince the flesh and set aside. Mince the remaining jalapeno, including the ribs and seeds; set aside.

2. Place the rice in a large fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until the water runs clear, about l 1/2 minutes. Shake the rice vigorously in the strainer to remove all excess water.

3. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed straight-sided 12-inch ovenproof saute pan or Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Drop 3 or 4 grains of rice into the oil; if the grains sizzle, the oil is ready. Add the rice and fry, stirring frequently, until the rice is light golden and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic and seeded minced jalapenos, and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in the pureed tomato mixture, chicken broth, tomato paste, and salt. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and transfer to the oven. Bake until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, 30 to 35 minutes, stirring well after 15 minutes.

4. Stir in the Coriander and reserved minced jalapeiio with seeds to taste. Serve immediately, passing the lime wedges separately.

Advertisement