Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greek restaurant in Navan

Options
  • 30-01-2012 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Has anyone been to the Greek restaurant in Navan? What are the prices like, is the food nice? Thinking of booking for Valentines. Might be a change from the other more common cuisines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

what greek restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

OK, only 2 reviews, but both good. Might check it out myself some night.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g315882-d2285452-Reviews-Poseidon-Navan_County_Meath.html

is it still open ?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

I remember walking through Navan town sometime last year and seeing a Greek Restaurant if I recall correctly called Poseidon in Trimgate St I think. Ah just saw the Trip Advisor link, Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Would recommend it :D

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Would recommend it :D

So it's definitely still open?

chewed wrote: »
    So it's definitely still open?

Was before Christmas, haven't been there since.

Last I herd its closed the owner put up a sign about electrical problems or something a month ago and hasnt opened since .....I may be wrong tho

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

After having read about El toro Loco Mexican restaurant it looks intriguing too! I hear it has moved to Johnstown, does anybody know exactly where it is now?

Above the courtyard pub

• Advertisement

Vego wrote: »
    Last I herd its closed the owner put up a sign about electrical problems or something a month ago and hasnt opened since .....I may be wrong tho

Checked today and it's closed, pity, seems people around here are pretty unadventurous when it comes to food :(

yeah shame its closed hope its not for good because im sure a few people would have paid for vouchers over the Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

flickarius wrote: »
    After having read about El toro Loco Mexican restaurant it looks intriguing too! I hear it has moved to Johnstown, does anybody know exactly where it is now?

Hope the food and service has improved since it moved!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ivorsflutter

I think it was another in a long line of bad restaurants in Navan, we seem to attract them. Was there before and asked the waitress for some recommendations as I was anxious to try some authentic Greek food, I stopped listening after the chicken wings in chilli sauce, chicken carbonara...

Yeah navans going through a lot of restaurants etc at the min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Its called a recession for a reason, discretionary spending goes out the window, alast restaurants are the first hit.

Does anyone recall the indian restaurant where Hudsons used to be and where some other franchaise is now (name and cuisine type elude me). When we came to Navan it was one of just 2 restaturants (China Garden being the other). Used to go on walkies and be amazed as to how it was open with just 2 / 3 people in it!

The Indian was called Gaylord Tandoori. Is the other Indian still open (used to be called Shahi or something, down the end of Watergate st?

The main problem for restaurants during a recession is having customers during the weekdays. It's fine to have a busy Friday and Saturday night but if the rest of the week is quiet you're in trouble!

Fair enough things are obviously going to be quiet in a recession but for some reason this town seems to only attract bad ethnic restaurants or restaurants where the emphasis is on decor the food is crap eg Rendez Vous - would love to see an Eastern Seaboard type restaurant open in the town.

Heard La Bucca was coming and there's a new one opening soon where the Tailteann used to be.. fingers crossed for that one

Fair enough things are obviously going to be quiet in a recession but for some reason this town seems to only attract bad ethnic restaurants or restaurants where the emphasis is on decor the food is crap eg Rendez Vous - would love to see an Eastern Seaboard type restaurant open in the town.

Heard La Bucca was coming and there's a new one opening soon where the Tailteann used to be.. fingers crossed for that one

Did gavigan get the planning ?

Eastern seaboard work because its out side of the town ...zuccinis is full fri,sat ,sun

Obriens johnstown ..could have been much more than what it has become

Didnt hear if it had come through yet I believe they have very big ideas for the restaurants there, I think there was suppose to be a fine dining, pizza and a casual restaurant on different floors.

Must try Zucchinis again I hear it has improved a lot, was there a few times years ago and thought it was pub grub at restaurant prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

bladespin wrote: »
    Checked today and it's closed, pity, seems people around here are pretty unadventurous when it comes to food :(

every unit that closes in Navan seems to re-open as a restaurant..I don't think its a case of people not being adventurous rather a case of an over supply of food outlets in a deep recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

The location of these restaurants would have hindered their existance IMO. 4 restaurants on one street with poor parking and bad-but-recently-improved lighting (Railway Street) is a bad idea, it's no wonder that Gaylords, Red Hot Chilli and El Toro Loco closed/relocated. The China Garden seems to just hoover up customers every noght, it's been here 30 years(?) and it's incredibly hard to compete with that sort of popularity.

The only Indian restaurant in town is Khan Tandoori I think, near the bridge. Have only had takeout fromthere and it's empty every time I go in there, so not really somewhere I'd be interested in booking a table to. The take out we've had has been a bit hit-and-miss, the inconsistency is annoying.,

The one other place that seems to do any sort of business is the incredibly overpriced Russell Perhaps that's what people in Navan really want - a burger for €20 in a restaurant with no table cloths and desserts bought in from a freezer van. Was in there on a Wednesday night in October last, and the place was packed. Recession? What recession.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

chewed wrote: »
    The Indian was called Gaylord Tandoori. Is the other Indian still open (used to be called Shahi or something, down the end of Watergate st?

The main problem for restaurants during a recession is having customers during the weekdays. It's fine to have a busy Friday and Saturday night but if the rest of the week is quiet you're in trouble!

Thanks for that, yes it was the Gaylord Tandoori, yes the Kann Restaurant is the indian at end of watergate street.

Don't do restaurants any more as service and not the food is too hit and miss.

The Willows restaurant at the Old bridge inn is good, you can get the resturant food in the bar, especially good during the week if you don't want to sit in an empty restuarant and want to watch the game. Take away funnily enought is very hit and miss, have ordered 2 over the year and both were wrong!!

The location of these restaurants would have hindered their existance IMO. 4 restaurants on one street with poor parking and bad-but-recently-improved lighting (Railway Street) is a bad idea, it's no wonder that Gaylords, Red Hot Chilli and El Toro Loco closed/relocated. The China Garden seems to just hoover up customers every noght, it's been here 30 years(?) and it's incredibly hard to compete with that sort of popularity.

The only Indian restaurant in town is Khan Tandoori I think, near the bridge. Have only had takeout fromthere and it's empty every time I go in there, so not really somewhere I'd be interested in booking a table to. The take out we've had has been a bit hit-and-miss, the inconsistency is annoying.,

The one other place that seems to do any sort of business is the incredibly overpriced Russell Perhaps that's what people in Navan really want - a burger for €20 in a restaurant with no table cloths and desserts bought in from a freezer van. Was in there on a Wednesday night in October last, and the place was packed. Recession? What recession.....?

Copper and spice thats an indian restaurant and ya cant get a seat in that place on a saturday night.

Also 20 euro for a burger I was in there and I couldnt see that price and the deserts looked homemade to me

Have to say the Russell is way over priced for what it is, food very bland.

The 2 times I was in Copper & Spices food was very bad and service was worse again, owner was too busy on facebook at the counter.

I used to like the italian at the top of flower hill next to Gio's. Not the best Italian ever but loved the informality of it, we're way too snobby when it comes to food in this country.

Who needs all the squiggles, herb crisps, potato crisps and food stacked a foot high?? Not sure how the chinese in Brews hill does all the business although its a long time since I had a sit down there, all their dishes taste the same, would love a real chinese with all the slow cooked meats and dim sum.

Is there a restaurant review thread for Meath??

Have to say the Russell is way over priced for what it is, food very bland.

The 2 times I was in Copper & Spices food was very bad and service was worse again, owner was too busy on facebook at the counter.

I used to like the italian at the top of flower hill next to Gio's. Not the best Italian ever but loved the informality of it, we're way too snobby when it comes to food in this country.

Who needs all the squiggles, herb crisps, potato crisps and food stacked a foot high?? Not sure how the chinese in Brews hill does all the business although its a long time since I had a sit down there, all their dishes taste the same, would love a real chinese with all the slow cooked meats and dim sum.

Is there a restaurant review thread for Meath??

Is there anywhere in navan you like ? :D

Ye my own kitchen :) but the wash up is a pain in the ass, no think the food in Navan is brutal really normally head out of town. Carvery in Ardboyne and Newgrange isn't bad for a Sunday meal. Khans is hit and miss but while it's not a great standard of cooking the service is friendly, you can bring your own beer, its cheap as chips and great for bringing the kids to as it's always empty.

Seaboard is good, Old Post office in Slane is good enough, everything is homemade and they have an interesting menu. Theres a new spot in Virginia does great Pizza and had the lamb shank there before which was good, but it's nothing fancy. The Old Post inn outside Cavan was very good when I was last there...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,700 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I'm so glad to hear someone else give out about it. The food is bland. Went for an early bird and the portions were scabby. I can't understand why it is always packed. Pity about Gaylord. Went there a few times and got lovely food. We stopped going a few months ago as it was always empty and you'd never know how long the food you were eating had been in the fridge. Copper and Spices was a nice alternative. I love Oriental Palace down at the shopping centre. I think it is as good as the China Garden. Thai Orchid is lovely too but it is looking like its on its death bed. Never see it packed anymore. Zucchini is a recent favourite as we live nearby. Their steak or fajitas are lovely

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    every unit that closes in Navan seems to re-open as a restaurant..I don't think its a case of people not being adventurous rather a case of an over supply of food outlets in a deep recession.

Have to disagree HJ, there always seems to be a market for chippers, no matter how yukky they are but when something a little different opens it's met with a lot of 'not my kind of thing', seen this at close hand trying to organise nights out etc. Also I don't see the numbers in the main stream restraunts reducing (prices maybe but they're still busy), recession or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was in the Eden restaurant at Bellinter house with some friends last year and compared to the Eden in Temple Bar in Dubin It was quite disappointing - friendly enough staff and nice decor but the portions were incredibly mean, the prices pretty steep - like the recession never happened - and service was also quite slow. I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back which is a shame because Bellinter House
    is one of the most sophisticated spots in Meath.

As for Navan - as with most big Irish towns it has an assortment of mediocre Chinese and Italian fare but nothing that really stands out.

I doubt that Navan would have the population to support an authentic Greek, Mexican or more exotic restaurant. Irish people are not that sophisticated when it comes to food.

Advertisement