Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bikes - debit cards not welcome

Options
  • 30-01-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I've been a subscriber to Dublin Bikes since the scheme was set up a couple of years ago. I used it for a year before going on exchange in Paris (where I used the identical Vélib system). Back in Dublin again this year, I reactivated my account.

I was thus quite surprised a month ago when my account was suddenly blocked. I rang up and was told that they couldn't tell me why it had been blocked (great customer service this is), but that it was probably an issue with my card. I mentioned that my debit card was working perfectly and they said "oh.. debit cards aren't allowed". I asked since when had this been the case - I had originally used a Halifax Visa debit to set up my account before using an Ulster Bank one when Halifax folded - and they said it had always been like this, that it said it on the website.

I later checked and found that the Visa Debit card appeared to some kind of anomaly on the system - not allowed but not prohibited. From the T&Cs:
    Credit cards issued by a banking establishment affiliated to the Visa or Mastercard network, with a microchip that meets EMV standards. Please note that Laser Maestro and VISA Electron debit cards are not accepted.

In any case, despite being told my card wouldn't work, I attempted to reactivate my account with the exact same Visa Debit I had been using - and it worked. I finally got a call back from their customer service people today saying that they would be amending their terms to prohibit Visa Debit cards. And they said that while my account was working, it "may become blocked at any time". They explained that this was due to "systems limitations... problems with putting credit reserves on debit cards". I asked how I had been able to use debit cards successfully for two years and he said he didn't know why. I pointed out that the Paris Vélib system - which uses the exact same infrastructure as the Dublin system, same payment system, same owner, etc. - specifically allows Visa and Mastercard debit cards to be used. He said it was an issue with Irish banks/Visa.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I just don't understand what the logic is behind banning debit cards. I don't have a credit card - nor do a lot of people - nor, as he admitted, did the customer service guy I was speaking to. Visa Debit is a standard system worldwide - as far as I know banks are obliged to adhere to the same standards set down by Visa, so I can't see how this could be a difference between French and Irish banks. I'm bemused to say the least and certainly a bit p!ssed off that my account could become blocked at any time despite having been a customer for three years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Why not write them a letter asking for a full explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Better suited to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The logic is very simple.

If you steal the bike they can charge a credit card MUCH easier than they can a debit card.

Same reason you can't hire a car without a prepaid debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

3DataModem wrote: »
    The logic is very simple.

If you steal the bike they can charge a credit card MUCH easier than they can a debit card.

Same reason you can't hire a car without a prepaid debit card.

How is that? They don't "charge" you per se.. they take a reserve of €250 when you take out a bike which isn't returned if you don't return the bike. That happens on both credit and debit cards (indeed I had to go chasing my €250 once when it got "stuck" due to an error by my French bank). In any case I would think it would be much easier to track someone with a debit card since it's linked to a bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

BlueCam wrote: »
    How is that? They don't "charge" you per se.. they take a reserve of €250 when you take out a bike which isn't returned if you don't return the bike. That happens on both credit and debit cards (indeed I had to go chasing my €250 once when it got "stuck" due to an error by my French bank). In any case I would think it would be much easier to track someone with a debit card since it's linked to a bank account.

They do not take a reserve when you take a bike. I subscribe to them. I will get charged if I dont return the bike but no reserve is on it while I have the bike.

They are more likely to get paid on a credit card than debit card.

And they cant "track" someone with the card. Data protection laws wouldnt let that happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

BlueCam wrote: »

I don't think that's how it works here, you get the bike for half an hour and anything over that is charged for. I don't think they take a reserve off your card every time you take out a bike either, it's only taken if you don't return it. If you have a debit card and don't return the bike but also don't have enough cash in your account to cover the penalty then they're out money, if you have a credit card it's an awful lot more likely that they'll be able to get the cash. They've no interest in tracking you down using card details, they just want guaranteed access to cash in the event you don't look after or steal a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Just signed up on Visa Debit from Ulster Bank with no problems

Advertisement