Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Biking near Limerick City? - (not in Ardpatrick)

• 30-01-2012 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been out in Ardpatrick/Ballyhoura the odd time, and it's excellent. Just wondering are there any trails around the city or just outside? Nothing hardcore like, just something to help burn off the gut.
    My "gut" feeling tells me either Cratloe or around Killaloe would be the best bet?

I found a similar thread over on the Clare forum, and the link on it seems to focus on cycling trails around Clare which are pretty long. I am just looking for something to pass a few hours, but push myself in those few hours. So I am thinking something in Cratloe would be closest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Hard to string a good loop together in cratloe unless someone in the know shows you round. Similar story with ballycuggaran near killaloe. But there are trails in both places. Try mbul forum or lmbc on facebook.
    Altho you could just stick to the forestry roads if burning off mince pies is a far higher priority than fun trails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

yeah, forestry trails would do, but something with some uphill and downhill to burn the spare tyre....

seachto7 wrote: »
    yeah, forestry trails would do, but something with some uphill and downhill to burn the spare tyre....
    Killaloe is steeper, but either would do fine id say

where would the trails start up in killaloe?

Have a look round the coillte outdoors site. Ballycuggaran is the woods I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

across the road from 'two mile gate', just before the UL Watersports centre.

Cool. Do you think they would be ok for a "road" mountain bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Cool. Do you think they would be ok for a "road" mountain bike?

The main "road" through there is plenty steep for what you're after by the sounds of it, so probably.

Yeah, tis just a cheapo road mountain bike. I could cycle the arse out of it though...

If it's a road/mountain bike you have (a hybrid I'm guessing?) it'll be nigh on impossible to ride the mtb trails in Cratloe and Ballycuggaran! So sticking to fireroads or the Ballyhoura mtb trails is probably the only thing the bike will be suitable for.

With that in mind the place that would probably work out best is Keeper Hill out near Newport in Co.Tipp. The hill is 694m with fireroad running all the way to the top! The closest parking is at Ballyhourigan Woods (http://www.irishtrails.ie/Trail/Ballyhourigan-Woods----Keeper-Hill-Loop/134/) Just follow the red arrows to reach the summit. The last 2km used to be great fun but they've since leveled it all out and turned it into a fireroad. Such a shame :( As everyone has said the main fireroad in Ballycuggaran Woods is also a "nice" climb :p Take the shortcuts between the hairpins if you want a challenge :) It's good to see more people getting out in the mountains on their bikes. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Cheers, yeah, it's just a €180 "mountain" bike that will hold up on the road, but possibly not on a trail? Might look into picking up something second hand for trails. I find myself shifting between cycling and running, and much prefer cycling....

Cheers, yeah, it's just a €180 "mountain" bike that will hold up on the road, but possibly not on a trail? Might look into picking up something second hand for trails. I find myself shifting between cycling and running, and much prefer cycling....
    Would be fine for the forestry roads, pick up a small tool kit and look online or get the Haynes bike book so you can keep brakes and gears working ok (they need more attention on a cheaper bike)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 storysham

Killaloe is NOT for beginners. Not the trails anyway. Also not for anyone without a proper off-road bike. Last time I saw a beginner out on those trails, in one particular section, he ended up going over the bars and broke his wrist SERIOUSLY badly. Doctor described it as a bag of cornflakes and said it was one of the worst breaks he's ever seen. Cue about 5 months without any exercise, while wearing some shiny scaffolding all up his arm.
    Cratloe is much kinder. You'll have a hell of a time finding the trails without someone who knows the place fairly well but if you can find someone, you're golden.
    There's also Curraghchase and Toun Toinne (I can't spell that at all....). I suggest finding the Limerick Mountain Biking Club on facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/LimerickMountainBiking
    Those guys are expanding bloody quickly and they're always willing to help.

Advertisement