Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this appliance exist?

Options
  • 30-01-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Bear with me!

I am looking for an adapter for an electrical appliance that in the event of a blackout of the electricity supply, and this appliance is on, that it will NOT start up again, when the supply is back on.

A long shot, I know! I may not be explaining myself correctly either.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

suitseir wrote: »
    Bear with me!

I am looking for an adapter for an electrical appliance that in the event of a blackout of the electricity supply, and this appliance is on, that it will NOT start up again, when the supply is back on.

Thanks

This can be done simply with a contactor and a start button that could be mounted in an enclosure. I don't know myself if there is a plug and play type device for this purpose. Maybe someone else here will.

If you use the contactor then just wire the feed to the appliance through the contactor and then the start button wired to pull in the contactor with a hold-on link to keep the contactor held in while electricty is there and then when the electricity supply goes the contactor will pull out and when the supply is restored it won't pull back in until the start button is pressed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

Not designed for your exact purpose but would do the job for you if I am understanding you correctly. I have one and tried out your situation, it works.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=149115

I have seen similiar on sale in Tesco's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Bear with me!

Thanks

What is the appliance?

As said, a contactor with start and stop buttons will do this very reliably.

Them RCD safety things will do it too, if they do trip on loss of power, as well as their main earth fault function.

It depends on the appliance anyway, if its a plug in one, or a fixed one, and what load it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Wood- and metal-working machinery has what are called NVR (no voltage release) switches that do just that. You can buy these built in to a simple extension socket to retrofit to old machines that do not have these, see here ...

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-power-tool-nvr-switch-prod35573/

Other variations on these that can be hardwired in can be found there also ...

http://www.axminster.co.uk/switchgear-dept208221_pg1/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

sparcocars wrote: »
    This can be done simply with a contactor and a start button that could be mounted in an enclosure.

+1

This is a very simple way to do it that will fail safe

It is commonly used with all kinds of machinery, emergency stop push buttons etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

robbie7730 wrote: »
    What is the appliance?

Them RCD safety things will do it too, if they do trip on loss of power, as well as their main earth fault function.

It depends on the appliance anyway, if its a plug in one, or a fixed one, and what load it is.

An oil stove. When the electric goes, stove goes out. However, if it happens I am not in the house when this happens, as I leave the stove on 24/7 during the real cold months, and the power is restored, it does not ignite but keeps filling with oil which requires a call out to have the oil drained off and costs the same as a service! If I lit it again with all the oil in the chamber......well you can guess the rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

robbie7730 wrote: »
    What is the appliance?

An oil stove. When the electric goes, stove goes out. However, if it happens I am not in the house when this happens, as I leave the stove on 24/7 during the real cold months, and the power is restored, it does not ignite but keeps filling with oil which requires a call out to have the oil drained off and costs the same as a service! If I lit it again with all the oil in the chamber......well you can guess the rest!

is there no photocell then to lockout the stove

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

M cebee wrote: »
    is there no photocell then to lockout the stove

No.Not in this model. It was installed in 1998 when the house was constructed.

I believe the newer ones have.

Advertisement