Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about passport surename

• 30-01-2012 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Not sure if im in the right spot so feel free to move

My mates passport is up in may and he needs it renewed. His birth cert says {SNIP}, {SNIP} being his mothers name and his father was put down as unknown. After a few years his fathers name was put on it when the family trusted him and such. He goes by the name {SNIP} but he has 2 birth certs, the original which says father unknown i.e {SNIP} and the recent which has his fathers name i.e {SNIP}. His recent passport said {SNIP} but he wants to renew his passport as {SNIP}, due to family fueds and whatever. as far as i know his pps number is {SNIP}. Im just wondering is it possible for him to renew his passport under his mothers maiden name rather than his fathers. by the way he is under 18.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tell him to get the passport renewal form from the local Garda Station and read the notes in the explanatory leaflet, in particular the notes on Section 2 of the form which contains a question: 'Do you also wish to have your birth certificate name noted on your passport?'

• Registered Users Posts: 18 paullyons00

Cheers for the fast response.

We've been going thru them for a while and we looked into that part, hes worried that it will still show his Fathers surname if he ticks yes and he wishes to distance himself from him completely. Of course if this is the only possibility he will take it but ideally he'd like to be free from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Can they just change the surname like that? If his name was {SNIP} and the father was added surely his name should still be {SNIP}. Would he not have to change it via deed poll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As he is a minor, will he need the father's consent anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Firstly, this doesn't appear to be even thinly disguised as hypothetical. Secondly, I'm not OK with posting names even if they were "made up".

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement