Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SHORT term TEFL teaching

• 30-01-2012 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

I got the CELTA a few months back but haven't put it into use yet due to work restrictions. I'm now unemployed and would love to teach English for the Summer (3 or 4 months)...preferably in South America, but I'm open to other suggestions.

My question: anybody know of schools that recruit for the Summer only? Most ads I see want teachers for year long contracts. Point me in the right direction please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

I got the CELTA a few months back but haven't put it into use yet due to work restrictions. I'm now unemployed and would love to teach English for the Summer (3 or 4 months)...preferably in South America, but I'm open to other suggestions.

My question: anybody know of schools that recruit for the Summer only? Most ads I see want teachers for year long contracts. Point me in the right direction please!
    In my experience most short term summer work us going to be in English speaking countries - learners tend to come over here to summer schools and the volume of work in their own countries drops off as folk take a break. OTOH, our summer is the South American winter so you may get lucky .. I'd try contracting schools directly, if you can afford it you may stand more of a chance getting short term work by turning up on the doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Yonge Street

@seeYe: Thanks for the reply. I did consider applying for TEFL Summer jobs here in Ireland, but most require a year or two experience. I will contact a few South American schools but my research so far shows that they want year-long contracts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

@seeYe: Thanks for the reply. I did consider applying for TEFL Summer jobs here in Ireland, but most require a year or two experience. I will contact a few South American schools but my research so far shows that they want year-long contracts...
    You might have more luck if you're willing to work with young learners which can be fun .. Mind you the "1/2 years' experience" thing is partly to trim the number if applicants and in reality may be more of a bonus than a real "requirement".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The thing with South America is that you'd be a long time working to re-coup what you paid in air fare to get there. So you'd really only be doing it for the experience and not really as a way to make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

There are usually good opportunities for summer schools in South Korea but they often prefer to hire teachers already in the country. Maybe South america.......
    Most private schools in European countries such as Spain and France aren't open in the summer months.
    You should probably think about doing a 6 month stint at least somewhere in order for it to be worth your while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 stephen.shortt

Most schools in Ireland look for teachers to cover swells in student numbers over the summer period.

We run courses and employ a number of our new graduates during the summer as well as some people who only work with us during the summer.

As a previous poster said, the 1 or 2 years experience is usually seen as a bonus rather than a requirement...

Advertisement