Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea-Dublin Dungeons.

Options
  • 30-01-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭

Why dont they set one up, like the one in london. Im sure itd be very popular with tourists, and the city has lots of history, so plenty to work with for the attraction.I've thought of some ideas for the attraction.
    A part of the attraction could be something to do with dracula/Bram stoker, visit draculas mansion or something, Stokers life etc.
    The black Death and the effects it had on europe and Dublin.Walk through a decimated street,bodies everywhere, actors begging for help,crying over loved ones etc..
    Dublin Castle, lots of history there.Supposedly haunted, invaders were decapitated and displayed on castle walls, hundreds of bodies are buried beneath the ground underneath the castle.Sure they could make some part of the attraction about that.
    Burke and Hare, two evil irish immigrants who moved to edinburgh during the middle ages and brutally murdered dozens of innocent people to use their bodies for dissection.
    Walking Gallows, 7 foot tall monster from wicklow, part of an especially brutal militia that were against united irish men. A particularly evil man, and infamous for his own form of excecution. He was used as the gallow off of which people were hung as he was so tall. And apparently enjoyed hanging innocent people off his back.
    The Irish Famine- Part of the attraction could be about the irish famine,all about it and the destruction it caused in ireland.
    Surgery- Shows the guests how terrible medical care was then and how brutal surgery was, no anasthetic, horrible amputations, leeches,disease,awful hygiene all the gory horrors of surgery back then:P
    The dublin hellfire club, a hunting lodge in dublin built during the 1700's that was used by a satanic cult during the middle ages that carried out human and animal sacrificies and other satanic rituals.
    Torture chamber-Displays all the horrible torture techniques used during middle ages, to get information out of people/punish them etc...
    Last part, you are in court and have been tried as a criminal, the judge reads the charges and sentences you(the visitors) to death by hanging.You sit in the drop ride and drop a few stories.
    Welll thats all I got, I think its be really cool, and a really popular tourist destination in dublin if built. What do you guys think?:)
    Oh and if they could build it somewhere around dublin castle thatd be really cool!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Well, you did the research, why don't you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Birneybau wrote: »
    Well, you did the research, why don't you do it?

I'm guessing the cost of this attraction would be a little outside my price range:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭savvyav

There used to be the Bram Stoker experience out in Clontarf which was a scary haunted house type thing. It was really good but ended up closing down due to lack of business. Main problems were that it was only open at weekends and that it was up the back of a night club so it was awkward to find. Would have been great if they had that in city centre! I agree with you though, I've worked in tourism for years and have always said we need something like that, Dublin is seriously lacking in decent family attractions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

The vaults under St. Michans church , church st., d 7 are pretty spooky.
    Bodies mummified in their coffins dating back to the crusades times. Its deadly!
    And cheap enough to visit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Archeron

I love the idea. I'd certainly pay to see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭bb1234567

savvyav wrote: »
    There used to be the Bram Stoker experience out in Clontarf which was a scary haunted house type thing. It was really good but ended up closing down due to lack of business. Main problems were that it was only open at weekends and that it was up the back of a night club so it was awkward to find. Would have been great if they had that in city centre! I agree with you though, I've worked in tourism for years and have always said we need something like that, Dublin is seriously lacking in decent family attractions...

Just looked it up and it looked really cool, pity its gone..and ye it should have been built somewhere in the city centre, I'm sure it would have been very popular if built there.
    And I really agree with you there that Dublin is lacking decent family attractions, such a waist really.Dublin has such interesting times in history, we had ,prehistoric/stoneage era, celtic era, viking era,norman era,medieval era, plantations and civil war and rebellions,georgian and then victorian era, then the civil war ,WW1 then WW2 , then the northern troubles and IRA..and now modern times, the city has such a rich history that most other cities around the world could only dream of,yet its waisted on us as we have very few museums/historic sites or great landmarks,monuments,attractions or atleast much less than we should have given the history we have to work with.So much history in such a small place its really quite hard to believe. If the county council or whoever is in charge really tried and put in a good bit of money Dublin could become a tourist hotspot.Dublin could become a much more interesting city if some effort was put in:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

savvyav wrote: »

I remember years back seeing rte do a piece on it around halloween, it looked laughably bad. There was a tourist watching it with me and she was embarrased by how bad it looked. Same with the dublin ghost bus, it's like something off father ted in places.

You need to have it together to make scarey stuff entertaining. The london dungeon does it well.

I've said it a few times on here, we invented halloween (more or less). Its probably a better known holiday around the world than paddys day and yet we do nothing to exploit that fact. :confused:

Advertisement