Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eng Paper 2 Q

• 30-01-2012 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Do you have to answer the "Single Text" Q on a Shakespearean drama? For example if "Dancing At Lughnasa was one of the Qs in the "Single Text" Q could I talk about Hamlet in the comparative study? I am a bit confused here so any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

You could answer the single text on Emma by Jane Austen or a few others, most teachers just do the Shakespearean drama though because you have to do it in the comparatives otherwise. But yes, technically you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Oneywu

Alright thanks I presume then one of the texts I have studied - (Dancing At Lughnasa?) will come up in the single text then? I would find it a lot easier to include Hamlet in a comparative essay than have to write a whole essay on it, it's the one thing I struggle with on the English course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Why not check? There's a list of single texts somewhere, I just have never seen it since I'm not a teacher :P Try google :) You could try that, but you'll have to do a whole essay on one comparative otherwise and you might have trouble slotting Hamlet in with the other two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The list of texts for 2012 is here.

A word of caution in doing this - you would have studied Hamlet in great depth, focusing on character, theme and language and learning off quotations. A lot of this information is useless for the comparative. You will have to change around your prepared comparative essays to fit Hamlet in.

Another problem is that doing D@L as a single text is not going to be easy, just because it isn't Shakespeare. You will be expected to have an indepth knowledge of the play, not just the details and key moments you focused on for the comparative. Shakespearean questions tend to have a pattern and be fairly predictable, there's a reason most schools do it for the single text; because D@L doesn't appear every year, you will have less past questions to go by.

If you have your Hamlet essays and comparative prepared, I wouldn't go changing it now. However, if you don't have this done, you probably don't have much to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Oneywu

I don't have any of that done unfortunately the mocks are this week so I'll give it a go and see what happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement