Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling out online CAO form

Options
  • 30-01-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

hi, i am filling out the CAO online, and i am unsure what options i have to select, I'm applying as a mature student, but do i also have to select Irish Leaving Certificate Exams (1985-2012), and Third-Level Higher Education, as i have a higher certificate. I am applying for Mechanical Engineering in GMIT. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

If a applying as a mature this is enough and your leaving cert results don't count. Any courses you have done that are relevent to the course can be mentioned on the additional information part of the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

ok thanks for the reply, so would it be worth mentioning I have a higher certificate in physics and instrumentation? and I only have to select mature student, just to be sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Yep select mature and mention it on the additional information part. Don't forget you will probably have to apply directly to the college as well depends on the college and course. Either way when you get to the interview stage you big up and mention everything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

monster1 wrote: »
    hi, i am filling out the CAO online, and i am unsure what options i have to select, I'm applying as a mature student, but do i also have to select Irish Leaving Certificate Exams (1985-2012), and Third-Level Higher Education, as i have a higher certificate. I am applying for Mechanical Engineering in GMIT. thanks

Monster you need to select and include information in any of the boxes that are relevant to you. If you have a LC then you definitely should indicate it as even if you don't have the points colleges still like to know the breadth of your educational experience.

Also some colleges will admit mature students on the basis of the LC results and not just through Mature Student application pathway.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Oh no, I didn't select it. there is a section though "Qualifications and Assessment Section " this is where put my leaving cert and other results? will that be ok? and for my higher certificate, they actually gave me a bachelor of science honours some how by mistake when i received my cert, do i need to show them the certificate? thanks

• Advertisement

Oh no, I didn't select it. there is a section though "Qualifications and Assessment Section " this is where put my leaving cert and other results? will that be ok?

Qualifications & Assessment on page 2 of the online application has a list of boxes where you detail relevant info. You should include details of all your qualifications asked for, including LC. Also on page one theres a list of tick boxes where you can indicate what qualifications etc you have. There is a Change courses facility on the website that you can use free of charge till the 31st Jan to amend your application. From the 1st Feb to March 5th you will have to pay €10.00 to make changes.
    and for my higher certificate, they actually gave me a bachelor of science honours some how by mistake when i received my cert, do i need to show them the certificate? thanks

You generally need to send stamped copies of the qualifications you have so a copy of your higher cert will need to go to CAO. If the wrong level of qualification is on it you may need to get something from your original college to clarify your actual result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Qualifications & Assessment on page 2 of the online application has a list of boxes where you detail relevant info. You should include details of all your qualifications asked for, including LC. Also on page one theres a list of tick boxes where you can indicate what qualifications etc you have. There is a Change courses facility on the website that you can use free of charge till the 31st Jan to amend your application. From the 1st Feb to March 5th you will have to pay €10.00 to make changes.

You generally need to send stamped copies of the qualifications you have so a copy of your higher cert will need to go to CAO. If the wrong level of qualification is on it you may need to get something from your original college to clarify your actual result.

Hi Paperclip2, The transcripts I have from my Diploma i did 10 years ago have the DIT stamp on it, so can I just photocopy that sheet and sent it into the CAO ye?

bri007 wrote: »
    Hi Paperclip2, The transcripts I have from my Diploma i did 10 years ago have the DIT stamp on it, so can I just photocopy that sheet and sent it into the CAO ye?

That should be ok but you could email CAO to double check. That being said I've had students send stuff with no stamp on and there was no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

That should be ok but you could email CAO to double check. That being said I've had students send stuff with no stamp on and there was no problems.

Thanks, I will check it out with CAO. Thanks for your quick reply and help :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Im just reading the cao Application Dates and Fees section on the cao handbook page 1 http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php
    It says Change of Mind Nil1 July 2013 (5:15 pm). Doesnt say anything about a 10euro charge:confused: Is that charge for mature applicants only?

• Advertisement

NinjaK wrote: »
    Im just reading the cao Application Dates and Fees section on the cao handbook page 1 http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php
    It says Change of Mind Nil1 July 2013 (5:15 pm). Doesnt say anything about a 10euro charge:confused: Is that charge for mature applicants only?

The charge of 10 euro is applied to people who want/need to change course choices between Feb 5th and March 1st:
    It is very important that you check your Course Choices immediately to ensure that they are absolutely correct.
    Use the online Change Courses facility on the CAO website www.cao.ie if you need to amend or add courses. (See ‘Reasons to amend your application’ in the next column.)This facility is free of charge until January 31st 2013. You may use the online Change Courses facility from February 5th until March 1st. An Additional Processing Fee of €10 must be paid by Credit/Laser Card for this service

http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php

Taken from page 15 of the CAO handbook.

It usually relates to people who, for example, have forgotten to include restricted application courses. This means theres additional admin for CAO so they apply the charge.

Advertisement