Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Question

• 30-01-2012 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Trying to do this project maths question, wrecking my head even though i know its something simple that I'm missing!

the line X+3y=20 intersects the circle x^2 + y^2 -6x -8y=0 at the points P and Q. Find the equation of the circle that has PQ as diameter.

So far I've worked out the radius of the circle as 3root10 /2 but I can't get the centre for the life of me.

Anyone else finding it really annoying that we don't have access to solutions for these stupid questions? An answer at the back of the book does not help! 100% going to fail paper 2 for the mocks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

the centre is the midpoint between P and Q

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

Neodymium wrote: »

I don't have values for P and Q?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

montown wrote: »
    Neodymium wrote: »

I don't have values for P and Q?

But you can find them. You need to use simultaneous equations.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭deand21594

i hate project maths, giving me all sorts of problems

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

If you still want the answer I can show you how to do it ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

x = 20 - 3y

sub that into the equation of the circle, you'll get a trinomial, solve for the two points of intersection, and get the midpoint of those two points, that's your centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

the use distance formula to get the distance from one of the points to the centre and that gives you the radius...
    sub in all the info into the (h,k) equation and bobs your uncle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

This question has nothing to do with the new approach in Project Maths. It could easily have been asked on the old course.

Advertisement