Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do with dog?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

pat him on the head and reward him for getting rid of the mangy felines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Hey OP I have some unwanted kittens, will you do me a favour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

My dog has killed plenty of rabbits recently, I don't like him doing it, but it's what he does.

He is a predator, he feels hunger, he is also a territorial animal. If you didn't now dogs were like this then why the **** do you have one, or are even utilising one as presumably a sheep dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Any dog would kill kittens if they were let and it seems it was let.
    now you have the dog tied up in a shed? there is a law in place for being cruel to animals,so treat the dog as you would like to be treated,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'm starting to think that the worst creature we're dealing with here is a troll.

Surely someone who lives on a farm has a better understanding of animals!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

Poor dog doesn't even know what he has done that was wrong.
    Not that I think its a good thing that the kittens were killed,its just that you really can't blame the dog .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

so why would your father say it's at your discretion, if it's your dog?

Alright, I bought the dog 4 years ago at a fair, strictly speaking he's a family pet but the family and I refer to him as my dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

idunnoshur wrote: »
    Alright, I bought the dog 4 years ago at a fair, strictly speaking he's a family pet but I and the family refer to him as my dog

and he said it's at your discretion what you do with him, as in he expected a situation to arise with the dog in which you'd have to made a life or death decision? hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

And they let you look after livestock? This troubles me most of all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Are you sure it was the dog that killed the kittens? Sometimes the mother cat will do it if she thinks they're weak or if she doesn't have enough milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Alright, I bought the dog 4 years ago at a fair, strictly speaking he's a family pet but the family and I refer to him as my dog

Wouldn't be balinasloe fair by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Sparko

So when you kill the dog, will I lock you in the shed and come on boards to debate killing you?

and he said it's at your discretion what you do with him, as in he expected a situation to arise with the dog in which you'd have to made a life or death decision? hmmm

I rang him straight after, read the first post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I never heard of a farmer who got so excited over a few dead kittens.
    God help those cows you were milking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Give yourself a good kicking & tie yourself up in cold shed for being so stupid as to let a dog have access to newborn kittens maybe next time you'll be more careful :-[

• Advertisement

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be balinasloe fair by any chance?

No it was Dunmanway I think

Your dog sounds like a schnaky dog, you're going to have to kill the gowl. I'ts on a matter of time before the hound starts killing babbys. How would you feel if he arrived home with the next door neighbours kid in his mouth?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The dog ran over with a dead kitten in his mouth... not even Johnny Cochrane in his heyday would have got Rover off there.

And they let you look after livestock? This troubles me most of all.

You mean shootintheheadforfollowingyourinherentnaturestock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Make a nice stew out of the remains.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Let the cat decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Sparko wrote: »
    So when you kill the dog, will I lock you in the shed and come on boards to debate killing you?

Are you the OP's brother ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Drown the mammy cat as she is eff all use at looking after her kittens, unless she is a good ratter

When in doubt blame the parents

I had a few snacks earlier, ones I know my human doesn't like, so I didn't worry about whether he wanted some, and then out of the blue he just kicks me for no reason!

Obviously I was raging for a second, but he's my human and I love him, so I let it go.

Then he brought me to a really cold shed. I thought maybe he was going to give me more of the snacks, but he tied me up for no reason and hasn't come back for ages! He must have forgotten about me, as there's no reason he's leave me here deliberately. We're best buddies!

So, can any of you good folks of AH think of some good ideas to help me get back at him?

cue thanks whore "blast him with kits" responses!

Sindri wrote: »
    You mean shootintheheadforfollowingyourinherentnaturestock.

According to you're logic should I not shoot crows or rabbits for eating barley because they're following their inherent nature?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

OP, bottom line is this:

While it shocks humans, killing is normal behavior for dogs. When dogs do not kill, it’s due to human management. Without humans, dogs would have to kill to survive. Dogs are not vegetarians.

The dog didn't mess up here. You did. You failed to manage the dog, and you ****ing kicked the dog, tied it up, and considered putting a bullet in her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

** Starts singing "The Lion King - Circle Of Life"**

According to you're logic should I not shoot crows or rabbits for eating barley because they're following their inherent nature?

The crows and the rabbits are eating crops you farm, costing you money.

Unless you're a kitten farmer, the dog hasn't affected your business.

And you (hopefully) don't keep pet crows and rabbits on the farm.

The two situations are completely different in so many other ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Troll thread if ever I saw one! ;)

This sounds like an elaborate ruse thought up by the cat to get rid of the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

All this dog shooting talk made me think of this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

" I thought to myself that's good maybe he'll catch a couple of rats."
    " the dog had killed three other kittens. "

how do you expect the dog to distinguish between what animals it's acceptable to kill and ones it's not? obviously not a pleasant thing to find, but the dog cant be blamed for doing what the vast majority of dogs would do in the same situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Jaysus, one thing I could never do is shoot a doggie!

Jaysus, one thing I could never do is shoot a doggie!

What if by shooting one doggie you were saving the lives of two puppies?

I beleive you are misinformed. There is no rational logic in the above post:D.*

*Even though the original comment was obviously referencing your own comment about shooting a dog for doing something it cannot comprehend as wrong and should have been trained so it did not act as such, and something that is not that serious in the circumstances.

I'd like to know the people who voted to keep the dog in solitary confinement, and what exactly they think the point in that is?

I'd like to know the people who voted to keep the dog in solitary confinement, and what exactly they think the point in that is?

I have visions of Steve McQueen in the Cooler in the Great Escape :D

I had no idea that a discussion about what to do with a problem dog would lead to me being compared with Ivan the Terrible.

I'm also surprised that so many people say it's cruel to shoot a dog, I suppose it's a different way of viewing animals; for me they're a way of making money and that's it, but to others they are seen as a friend and should be treated as an equal. I was already aware of this point of view but I can't follow it myself.

I think I'll give the casting vote to my dealer (of course I won't let him know this) and speaking of him I'm off to buy a bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I love my dog. But I would have no problem drowning my neighbours dog in a bucket if piss as it strays all over the street tearing up peoples recycling and crapping everywhere.
    I must get a lend of one of those murderous farm dogs.

• Advertisement

I had no idea that a discussion about what to do with a problem dog would lead to me being compared with Ivan the Terrible.

I'm also surprised that so many people say it's cruel to shoot a dog, I suppose it's a different way of viewing animals; for me they're a way of making money and that's it, but to others they are seen as a friend and should be treated as an equal. I was already aware of this point of view but I can't follow it myself.

I think I'll give the casting vote to my dealer (of course I won't let him know this) and speaking of him I'm off to buy a bag.

That's right ye junkie. Don't go handling guns under the influence. Or yourself;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Not a problem dog, you're a problem owner.
    You take in a dog, it's up to you to take responsibility for it and wat it does.

Essentially you allowed your dog to kill te kittens.

I'm now more certain you're a troll but I'm going to bite anyway.

People are not objecting to shooting as a method of punishment; it's because there's no reason to shoot the dog.
    It's a fact that it's cruel to needlessly shoot a dog and leave it tied up in the cold for no reason.

A dog that kills strange kittens is not a "problem dog."
    It's just a dog.

You said that the dog is considered to be yours by everyone: that sounds like a pet to me, which is more of an animal similar to friend than a source of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Where are people gettin this idea that its the dogs natural instinct to kill !!, he aint a wild wolf that hunts to eat. ive had many dogs and not one of them has ever killed.the dog in question has always been a domestic animal which should be used to having other larger or smaller animals around, owners in this case are to blame imo and should go about training the dog properly straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Troll thread if ever I saw one! ;)

Have to agree. The fact that he hasn't said what he will do after outrage at the possibility of him shooting the dog and has just replied with stupid little comments to prolong the charade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

TBH I voted that originally as the OP seemed to thick to know what to do himself.

I then read some more and copped the OP was trolling, and not doing too bad a job of it in farness until this:

Book him Danno Bollocko! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

This has shades of "The Hills Have Eyes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Vast majority selected Live and let live
    That's your answer OP.

Last night when I went over to my friend/dealers house I told him about the dog, he said it was my dog and I should do whatever I thought was best. I agreed with him and thought that no more was going to be said on the issue.

We then smoked a couple of jintys and he said to me that he'd like another Jack Russell because his one of his was run over by the milk lorry (he's a farmer too). I knew that I could get something from him for the dog so I asked him for an extra bit of nodge (I thought that the bag was a bit on the small side anyway), he agreed.

We then smoked for a while longer and watched some youtube videos. Not sure what time we decided to call it a night but he drove back to my house behind me, I said farewell to the dog and we loaded him into the boot of his car.

It was more than likely the best solution to the problem for everyone, I won't have any more cats killed, my friend has another dog to keep his other one company and the dog gets to live on.

Wasn't this locked? :confused:

so you gave him away? sounds like he might be better off in his new home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Last night when I went over to my friend/dealers house I told him about the dog, he said it was my dog and I should do whatever I thought was best. I agreed with him and thought that no more was going to be said on the issue.

We then smoked a couple of jintys and he said to me that he'd like another Jack Russell because his one of his was run over by the milk lorry (he's a farmer too). I knew that I could get something from him for the dog so I asked him for an extra bit of nodge (I thought that the bag was a bit on the small side anyway), he agreed.

We then smoked for a while longer and watched some youtube videos. Not sure what time we decided to call it a night but he drove back to my house behind me, I said farewell to the dog and we loaded him into the boot of his car.

It was more than likely the best solution to the problem for everyone, I won't have any more cats killed, my friend has another dog to keep his other one company and the dog gets to live on.

Brought a tear to my eye :'-)
    I love a happy ending! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement