Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS

Options
  • 30-01-2012 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I have a 2 bedroom apartment in Park West,D 12 that I am looking to rent with RAS, does anyone know the best place to look for tenants that would be interested in signing up to the scheme with me?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dazzlemoo

Hi there..I might be interested.
    Is your apartment ground floor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 zzz

Hi,

No its not ground floor but there is lifts.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

You don't have to find tenants do you? I thought the City did that. Once your apartment is taken into the RAS scheme, yo get paid whether there are tenants in it or not.

Or have I got that completely wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

You don't have to find tenants do you? I thought the City did that. Once your apartment is taken into the RAS scheme, yo get paid whether there are tenants in it or not.

Or have I got that completely wrong?

The landlord can take on a tenant that is applying for the ras but if that tenant moves out then the council put someone else in.

So once your flat or house is in the scheme you get paid whether there are tenants in it or not, right?

• Advertisement

Yes..if your tenant moves out and your place is idle, you will still be paid by the council until someone else moves in.
    And, although the council will find you your next tenant, you do have a say as to who moves in-you can check references, as far as I know.
    It's a good scheme for landlords who need a long-term tenant and guaranteed rent every month, but I understand it's not for everyone.

dazzlemoo wrote: »
    Yes..if your tenant moves out and your place is idle, you will still be paid by the council until someone else moves in.

But even before a tenant moves in, you get still get the agreed rent paid, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Don't forget, the apartment will be inspected to see that it meets certain standards and criteria (not the same as the minimum housing standards for rented accommodation).

Still, you'd wonder why more landlords don't offer their empty flats and houses for the RAS scheme.

It's guaranteed income.

But even before a tenant moves in, you get still get the agreed rent paid, right?

If your RAS tenant moves out and your place is idle, your rent will still be paid but if you're asking if your place will be paid for BEFORE the first RAS tenant moves in, well you'll have to wait til the tenant is actually in the property, but as soon as you've agreed a lease with the council and the place has been inspected and tenant moves in, your rent will be paid immediately for the first month.

• Advertisement

you'll have to wait til the tenant is actually in the property

Really? I didn't know this. But it's hardly up to the landlord to find tenants is it?

They'd have to be on the scheme.

Well it's funny 'cos it's me that's having the problem finding a willing landlord.
    There should be a site set up for landlords and tenants, interested in the scheme, to find each other.

The landlord, if interested in the scheme, should contact his local council and register his interest, or if the landlord is approached by a tenant who is looking for a home on the scheme, he should tell the tenant he's interested and then the tenant will contact the council and then a lease will be drawn up.

You're right-it's a good scheme, especially for people who want a guaranteed income for their property, even more so if it's lying idle.
    I'm still searching!

So, if you find a landlord who is willing to join the RAS scheme, they could stipulate that they want to have you as a tenant? Is it really up to them?

Doesn't the local authority have a list or something?

No..usually what happens is..The tenant (who has been told by the council they qualify for the scheme) goes to view a property and asks the landlord if he's interested in the scheme.
    If he is, he gives his details to the tenant and the tenant contacts the council and says "I've found a potential landlord"...The council will contact the landlord and discuss the scheme...Lease is drawn up...Tenant moves in. Done,
    If tenant moves out before lease is up, council will find new tenant for the landlord.

I am pretty sure that there are landlords who have signed up to the scheme without having any tenants, and their flats are offered to people on the scheme.

Advertisement