Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In a TEFL haze.. can anyone help!!?

• 30-01-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys

I'm in a bit of a TEFL haze at the moment.. I'm looking for a TEFL course that's ACTUALLY recognised outside of Ireland..

At the moment, i-to-i have 140hr combined course for 349euro so I was thinking of doing that until I saw some reviews about i-to-i..

Then I heard about a 120hr course with ITCI in Dublin.. which is 450 euro and over 4 weekends...

I work a full-time job so it's not possible for me to do a CELT or CELTA course as a lot of my friends have advised me to do.. to be honest, if I had the money to pay for that course, I wouldn't still be in Ireland, I'd have used the money to book a flight out of here!!

Anyhoo.. I'm interested in heading for Dubai or anywhere in South America..can't seem to get a straight answer on what the requirements are for either place, though I imagine Dubai is stricter....

so if anyone has any advise either on i-to-i or ITCI or any other company they know is good I'd really appreciate it as all the research I've done online has only served to confuse me more!!! :(

ps I have a degree if that makes a difference!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sedric

Might depend on your degree and if you have another language e.g. if you have an Arts or associated degree, that was seen as showing a strong competency in English degree and were able to combine it with the language of the country you wished to go to e.g. Spanish , you might be able to negotiate with a potential employer abroad. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tapsmcguire

Hey thanks for the reply I've a degree in English an Spanish so do yu think that might be enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Most jobs in Dubai will require a couple of years experience at least. In South America it depends on the country. You really would be best off trying to do either the CELTA or the CELT. Most other courses, especially i to i aren't worth the paper they're written on.
    Check out the forums on different countries at www.eslcafe.com

One option could be to do the CELTA course in another country. Most of the schools offering these then help to set you up with a job after you've finished.

http://www.cactustefl.com/tefl/course.php?course_id=3804
    http://www.cactustefl.com/tefl/course.php?course_id=2017

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 farher ted

I've got a link that you might find useful if you want to study the ACELs.ie CELT Cert course and is recognised internationally. It runs in Budapest ,Hungary.
    The course costs €650,and runs every six weeks with a few intensives every four weeks, there's also a job guarantee and a 50% discount if you're offered and accept to teach in-house after the course.I'm writing this in February 2012 and the next one is in March 2012.

http://www.katedra.hu/tanarkepzes_CELT

The CELT Irish cert is the equivalent of the UK one , though in BUDAPEST the Irish one is offered as a six week programme.The Irish international CELT is thus spread over a longer time, allowing for a better, more human learning, more integration with the local network of teaching, more time to process the materials and more time to better understand how to teach EFL. It's also up to half the price of recognised comparable certificate study around Europe.

Advertisement