Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing UK Ex-mobility car

• 30-01-2012 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there
    We're thinking of buying an ex-mobility C4 Grand Picasso in UK and bringing into Ireland, paying VRT.
    We've had a RAC check done today and there are a few disabled adaptions need to be fixed before sale, which garage has promised to do.
    My question is: has anyone any experience of VRT and ex-mobility cars? Should this make a difference?
    Also, car has no tax so I'll be driving to ferry port without tax until I get a chance to VRT it over here. Has anyone ever been stopped and fined over this?

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I would strongly advise you to have tax when travelling over, the cops are not as laid back as here.

Are you buying it for a disabled driver/passanger??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If its for a disabled person, there seems to be a lot of red tape to it; all info is below

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/drivers-passengers-with-disabilities-tax-relief-scheme.html

NOTE
    In the case of a used vehicle, the vehicle must be purchased from an authorised dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

My C4 Grand Piccasso exclusive was an ex mobility car in the uk, I brought it in in 2009 and had no problems with it at all although the car had not been modified in any way. The VRT was just as calculated on the revenue website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Where did you buy it Theblueirish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Isn't there huge tax breaks for buying a disabled vehicle? Buying second hand from the UK might mean you lose all these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

I think the OP is looking to import a standard car which was an mobility car as the dealer has agreed to remove the mobility controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Spires

Hi I realise this is an old post I'm looking importing an ex motability car next week from the uk. The dealer has informed me there are no modifications to the vehicle. I will be having tit inspected before importing it. I've rang renenue who told me to just vrt the car as usual so I'm hoping this wont be a problem. My issue now lies with the fact that the tax has expired on this car. Will it be a problem getting the car from the garage to the ferry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras are everywhere in the UK so you run the risk of being pulled over for having no tax. Some people take the chance of driving to the ferry without taxing the car so it's really up to you how lucky you feel on the day.

How much is the tax on it by the way, might be worth just taxing it rather than having to look over your shoulder all the way to the ferry port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Spires

Tax is only £20 but im not sure I can tax it as its listed as a disabled vehicle. I've queried the dealer in relation to this just waiting on a reply. Was just hoping someone here might advise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Most dealers won't allow a car off the forecourt without tax, you can tax it at the local post office using slip 10 (green from the V5), you can claim a refund when you get back to Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Spires wrote: »
    Hi I realise this is an old post I'm looking importing an ex motability car next week from the uk. The dealer has informed me there are no modifications to the vehicle. I will be having tit inspected before importing it. I've rang renenue who told me to just vrt the car as usual so I'm hoping this wont be a problem. My issue now lies with the fact that the tax has expired on this car. Will it be a problem getting the car from the garage to the ferry

1. In the UK, tax is cancelled on a vehicle on change of ownership so it must be taxed by the new owner. Most garages will not let you leave their premises without doing so. It can be done on-line. You need insurance cover.

2. ANPR cameras are hard to avoid and you will be fined.

3. You can claim a refund of the tax after you register it here, so it will cost you one month (two if your dates cross the month end.

Advertisement