Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

money in a/c don't think it's mine

• 30-01-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭

My hubby checked his bank account yesterday to see how much was in it and there is €5,000 in the account that definitely was not due to go in, at most there is only €50 in the account. We have gone through everything with a fine tooth comb and can't work it out so it has to be a mistake, and before you ask no he hasn't rang the bank as he is afraid they will say oh thanks I wondered where that got to:rolleyes: if it does turn out to be a mistake is he entitled to anything? even €50 would be a bonus:D I know you are all going to come on here and tell me to get him to ring the bank, which he will do at some stage but he's afraid to budge at the minute:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

The Bank will trace it. Ring them you will save someone a lot of trouble and possibly someone getting in to bother over an error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

casio4 wrote: »
    if we spend the money and it was a mistake we will have to pay it back

Yes you will :( So best ring them.

But you're right, it'd be nice if they'd throw you fifty for your honesty. Would you suggest it to them maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've just cleaned up a lot of posts. This isn't AH folks. Keep the posts to the point, and constructive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Is there an actual entry for 5000e if so what was the entry ref no? I think you are better getting this sorted asap. If its not your money they will come after you, if you have spent some and your account goes overdrawn when the error is realised you may face a large sum in fees. Is it possible that its a tax rebate, were either of you made unemployed last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

If it was me, I'd transfer the 5k to a fixed term deposit account and leave it there until they noticed (if they noticed) and you could claim some free interest on it?

If they ask for the money back, simply transfer the money back + interest to the initial account and that would be that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Thanks for all the replies, turns out he was one of the lucky ones to get tax back the revenue paid the money in because he was paying too much PRSI in 2010 and now the government have to pay back €10m to all the people they took PRSI off, they weren't earning enough for it to be taken:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Thats great sounds like it might come in handy if you only thought there was 50e in the account! There must be a tax rebate as well there, 5000e would seem like a an awfull amount of prsi to have over paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

must be a tax rebate too either way Happy Days :D

Advertisement