Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50cent surcharge for using my laser card

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Shops weren't paying a transaction fee every time though which they do with credit cards.
    Shops need to stand up to credit card companies, instead of just passing the buck on to their customers.
    I've used a Visa in the UK for a £3 sandwich, they take it without blinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Shops weren't paying a transaction fee every time though which they do with credit cards.

That dispute was when the operators cut the margins and some retail lobby group got organized and shops around Ireland put up signs and added a surcharge to get their margin back
    Remember those signs? Calling the mobile operators greedy and the shop didn't want to charge you but they felt like they had to. Like I care :confused:

They were still making money on every sale, they just wanted a higher percentage.

As said above, customers wouldn't stand for it and there were places like xtravision with no surcharge.
    And some shops had signs proudly displaying they didn't charge extra. As if we should be grateful :rolleyes:

Nearly gone now, consumer power

You have most of your facts right, the 3 main providers all increased the cost of their products, unfortunately they declined to remove the rrp on their product , in effect we were forced to absorb their price increases and our margin went from a generous 12% down to a miserly 4%, during this time our costs inparticular wages rose dramitically.

the retailers werent greedy, they merely wanted to maintain a fair margin, in the same way that when mars put up the price of their bar that price increase can be passed on in full or in part to the consumer.

in the case of the top ups we were unable to do this as ALL of the suppliers chose to implement price increases around the same time and chose to market their product in a way that would not allow the retailer to increase the price to the consumer.

it was a blatent attempt by the providers to screw over the retailers and it succeded.

so you not find it bizarre that they can offer 33% free or more on regular basis yet are they all decided at the same time to screw over the retailers for 5%.

It wasnt the retailers being greedy, it was suppliers abusing a dominant position in the market and being allowed to do so with impunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Shelflife wrote: »
    You have most of your facts right, the 3 main providers all increased the cost of their products, unfortunately they declined to remove the rrp on their product , in effect we were forced to absorb their price increases and our margin went from a generous 12% down to a miserly 4%, during this time our costs inparticular wages rose dramitically.

the retailers werent greedy, they merely wanted to maintain a fair margin, in the same way that when mars put up the price of their bar that price increase can be passed on in full or in part to the consumer.

in the case of the top ups we were unable to do this as ALL of the suppliers chose to implement price increases around the same time and chose to market their product in a way that would not allow the retailer to increase the price to the consumer.

it was a blatent attempt by the providers to screw over the retailers and it succeded.

so you not find it bizarre that they can offer 33% free or more on regular basis yet are they all decided at the same time to screw over the retailers for 5%.

It wasnt the retailers being greedy, it was suppliers abusing a dominant position in the market and being allowed to do so with impunity.

well said !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

I got rid of my terminal about 2 years ago. People demand the lowest prices, and the only way I could facilitate that was to get rid of it. 500 to 600 a month to the banks for people using cards? And if you hadn't got the money in your account to cover it they held all your cc transaction money. Freakin Nazis! Got rid of and its the best thing I ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Online places do it loads. Just-eat.ie take 50c when you pay by card.

What other options are given lol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

what is the profit on a packet of cigarettes ? if you take the admin charge out of it do they still make a profit ?

(I dont have the answers maybe somebody else does)

Profit margin on cigs is 9% average.
    The retailer is charged 25c per Laser transaction.

There is also a nominal rental charge of €25 per month on the shop owner for the service of the Laser Card machine to the supplier such as Payzone or Postpoint etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

almalahide wrote: »
    What other options are given lol?

COD

• Registered Users Posts: 26,415 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its going to be difficult to move to the much-vanuted cashless society if everything starts working out more expensive if you use your cards.

I would have thought the costs associated with having so much notes, coins etc - banks runs etc would have offsetted this partially.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭ongarite

How do Visa Debit card costs compare to Laser costs per transaction for shop owners?

I see the 2 main banks (AIB & BOI) are phasing out Laser this year and transitioning to Visa Debit instead. Don't think Laser will have any banks left using them as Ulster Bank/TSB already use Visa Debit for a while now.

ongarite wrote: »
    How do Visa Debit card costs compare to Laser costs per transaction for shop owners?

I see the 2 main banks (AIB & BOI) are phasing out Laser this year and transitioning to Visa Debit instead. Don't think Laser will have any banks left using them as Ulster Bank/TSB already use Visa Debit for a while now.

I was under the impression they were % based, although a retailer here gave a static charge.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Its going to be difficult to move to the much-vanuted cashless society if everything starts working out more expensive if you use your cards.

I would have thought the costs associated with having so much notes, coins etc - banks runs etc would have offsetted this partially.

Yeah, you'd think. However, everyone wants a piece of the pie when it comes to new tech. These costs, generally, don't go down.

Transaction charge, [monthly] admin fee, booking charge, etc. Sound familiar from many, many companies. These are all above and beyond the actual cost the consumer is paying for the product or service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

ongarite wrote: »

A friend of mine with National Irish Bank is pissed off. She has a Laser card with them and has trouble using it on Amazon. They told her they wont be moving to Visa Debit cards.

A friend of mine with National Irish Bank is pissed off. She has a Laser card with them and has trouble using it on Amazon. They told her they wont be moving to Visa Debit cards.

She can tell them that she will be moving bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

RangeR wrote: »
    She can tell them that she will be moving bank.
    Not when she has a mortgage with them lol.

Not when she has a mortgage with them lol.

She can get a current account anywhere, then just SO the mortgage amount into the old account every month. It's what a lot of us do :)

Advertisement